Meridea by Walter Biles - RADIO - 34" CAD of boat at USN Severn River Repair Station c. 1969

Thanks Mark and Bob.

I have another section to do, but I will need a bit more of the thicker brass, and the line for rigging, and especially the turnbuckles that are on the way to me.  I want to redo the masts, and that will take a new ball tip dremel bit.  If I can do what I want, I think I might be able to simulate the sliding ball and track on the masts and booms.  That was a feature I really liked, and if my equipment is up to it, I think I might be able to pull it off.  I would have to cut the track before the mast edges are tapered.  I also would like to make those through the masts channel for the sail running lines.  That way if I can get a good multi-channel radio, I may be able to do the sail raising and lowering by controls.  That would be the cat's meow!

I am going to put up a couple of pictures of my boat all rigged out (sort of, no lines are in yet.)

Here are some pictures of her.

Note the Mizzen boom control riser at the stern.

I never would have been able to close haul the mizzen with the old one. 

post-254-0-05012600-1394488632_thumb.jpg

Here is what she looks like with her sail patterns pasted to her. 

I put a temporary line up to hold her Jib.

post-254-0-10766600-1394488633_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-02742300-1394488630_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back from almost a week away at my daughter's house. 

I got a great blessing today.  I have inherited 4 kit form boats, two of which had been started.  I now have AL Constellation 1798 at 1:85, a Constructo Cutty Sark 1:90, and a Constitution by Constructo at 1:82 which I will mostly have to scratch finish from the plans and what is left of the kit, and HMS Endeavor 1:80 which I will probably restart from the plans as a POF redrawn for a scratch build using the fittings left from the kit.  The lady who was doing them, died from MS several years ago, and her husband gave them to me since he knew I would enjoy them. 

On top of that I have MS plans for Fair America and Constitution which I got from Model EXPO when they had them on sale this past year.  I am rich in prospective builds.  I have seldom worked from any kit except for a couple of block hull Blue Nose schooners I did in the '60s.  I still have quite a bit of bass wood from my Meridea that won't be used up by the time I finish her, so I have options for once, and can actually learn what it is like to build from a kit.  I've mostly built scratch from a plan, or a plan that I scaled and drew myself.  I am thrilled. 

First I have to get back to finish my Meridea.  I think I will experiment with the Endeavor plans and see if I can draw and build it from what I've learned about framing boats here as a POF.  Since I can basically use the same scale, all I'll need to do is create extrapolations of the frames in between the ones already there, and allow for some fairing in between the ones I have the shapes for.  This could be very interesting and exciting. 

Walt Biles

Walt,

Sure sounds like you're set for a while.  Good fun ahead.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you Mark, Ed, Michael, Popeye, and Bob for the likes and the comments. 

Walt Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

Bob,

I believe I will make a bit of a test batch of that fiberglass to try out how much to add to the amount I am used to using up before it sets.  I've seen the suggestion by several different people about TESTING different things, and I think that is the advice I'll follow.  I still need to finish that buildup of the hull cross section to get closer to the displacement that I'll need to float at the waterline.  If I could do math like I used to, I might have been able to figure that out, but I have to work how I am able.  I think my hunch of about how much I'll need will probably work.  I just have to get it done without changing the hull lines too much. 

Also I will have to use my shape tool to adjust my plan cross sections so my plan will be pretty well on if I am successful. 

I have been kind of busy since I got back from the trip.  I hope to get back at the work station soon.   Walt Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

• 4 weeks later...

I want to thank you all for the likes and nice comments on this log.  I really appreciate you all Bob, Popeye, Mark, Ed T,Michael, and Rich. 

My son helped me find out my shortcomings on my new computer, and I got in IMSI DesignCAD ver 23.  Eventually I hope to be able to start making progress on my model again.  The new CAD will help me make the corrections to the plans for my boat.  It needed more displacement, so I am filling out the beam both out and down, to help it sit up in the water where it should.  That means a correction to each station along the way.  I don't mind the double hull, it may have it's advantages.  Since it will be sealed inside and out, It is like floatation, right?  

I have taken some time to read some build logs when I had a chance.  All the best to you all.  I hope to get back into the swing of things after a bit. 

Walter Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

Sounds like you had quite a time of it.  Glad you're back up.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

not to worry Walter.......all things come for those who wait ;)    while it would be nice to devote total time to our builds.......they're  a hobby,  and not a job.   I kinda wish they were.......I myself would be a very happy camper for it.   the medium has many layers to it......to understand them all would make a well rounded modeler.   learn all you can and have a good time with it :)

I'll be changing from XP as well........I'm dreading that like the plague ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Walt,

If you need to upgrade the RAM and don't have a grounding strap... here's a trick we used in our shops... open the case and put your hand on the power supply.  The PS case is grounded to the system.  Then while working, if you move even a half step, re-touch the PS.    Good luck on all the upgrades.  I'm going to hang onto Win7 as long as I can...  Hopefully I can skip Win8.... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'll most likely go with vista or win 7.........I hear win 8 is a dog!    I have a couple of other computers I can play with........love to get my Dell GX 150 going again.........ran very nice and smooth.   I'd probably run into too many upgrades to get her going though.   I'm running a Sony Vaio at the moment.   I forget how many gigs I have in her........but I'll probably have to upgrade her when I change over.   oh what fun!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 1 month later...

Hi Walter, Hope that things smooth out so you can get back to the boat soon.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Yes. Walt, take care of "things", the boats will wait.

Bob

Walt,

Take care of Linda and also don't forget your health.  The build and those of us watching will wait. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

sorry to hear...........take care of your admiral,  good sir........that's what matters most!   I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Walt,

If there's anything I can do let me know.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Glad the operation went well.  Sounds like you have a full load of work ahead.  Don’t worry, the boat will wait.

Bob

Good to hear the operation went well Walter, when you do get back to the shipyard well be there cheering you on.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

good to hear the news as well.....will she be in a wheel chair? take care and make her comfy.....time for the build later ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

you got it! it would be surprising, with the way prosthetics have come along, that they won't be able to come up with something for her. wishing for a quick recovery......is she home now?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hoping all is better at this time.......still thinking of you folks! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I will be on indefinite leave from the site for awhile. 

I think I may have been misusing my buildlog space, and encouraging off topic postings. I have deleted most of my most recent off topic posts, to get this log back to basics of the build. 

Any of you which have responded so kindly are welcome to edit or delete those postings if you wish, but I thank you for your sentiments, anyway.   I will get back on the build as soon as I can, but for the meantime if you wish to contact me, please PM me, and I will respond from there. 

Thank you to all who have been so nice to respond with well wishes, and I will not forget them.  They mean so much to know you think so kind-heartedly of me and my wife. 

Walter Biles

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my most recent updates to my drawings of Meridea.  The lavender lines are the parts which have been resized for greater displacement of the hull. I had to build them down and outward.  These adjusted formers are about how my latest draft show.  (3/1/2016)  

post-254-0-72096500-1410068405.jpg

I am still trying to get these things to work on the new 8.1 windows computer.  I do not have the editing facilities on this one yet.  

Walter Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

I got the first 1/8" of furring ribs in place on the hull of my boat.  I have a second layer to go over a smaller area, then it would be almost ready to plank again when I can get back here to work on it. Pictures to follow when I can get to them.

Walt Biles 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got back to building something.  This past week, I built a MS 105 Fair-A-Frame (Time:2.5 hrs.), for when I get into my E C Berry kit.  I also built a MS 110 Ropewalk, (Time: about 2 Hrs).  With these, I should be better tooled up for some boat building down the way.  I found in the kit boxes that were given to me another little jewel.  It had a loom jig for doing rope ladders.  I am finding I had things inside other boxes that I did not even suspect.  Pretty cool !!!  Sort a like... Christmas or something!!

I may even get a bit of boat building in there, somewhere.

Walt Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

Sounds like fun, Walt.

Bob

Thanks for the likes and replies, Mark, Popeye, and Bob

Walt Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

I also found an MX 105 Waterline Marker. (Time: about 1.5 hrs.) I need to get some clear table space for picture taking.  I want to do a review of each of these handy little kits, and explain how I modified each one a little to make it easier or slightly better.  Mark, if you should come by this in the next few days, you can tell me where to do the review on the kit tools.  I am not sure where it should go, but think it might help others who might be interested in the kits. 

Walter Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: