Galley Washington by Mike40 - 1:48 - POF

Hello Mike,

I'll be following along also. You're certainly starting out very nicely. Enjoy your build.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks for your encouraging comments Mike, E.J. and Gary. I am enjoying the framing. Maybe because it's not too difficult. I'm sure the stern/transom construction and cant frames will be a bit more challenging. I figure that I will learn what I need to know as the build progresses. What I like best is that I can do most of the work sitting down. Quite a change from the usual woodworking I do and a relief at my age. It's also nice to not be covered in sawdust all the time!

I thought you might like to see my work space. It is heated and insulated so I can work there comfortably all year around. It's really a woodworking shop of about 228 sq. ft. so it is more than roomy enough for modeling. I could make some really big models here, but I wouldn't know what to do with them when they were finished! In case you are wondering, the odd looking machine in the 3rd photo is my shop made 'Chevalet de Marquetry' which is used for cutting out intricate marquetry pieces. 

post-25913-0-13568600-1478606089_thumb.jpg

post-25913-0-17320200-1478606125_thumb.jpg

post-25913-0-42222900-1478606151_thumb.jpg

post-25913-0-40463300-1478606254.jpg

post-25913-0-84347500-1478606414.jpg

Edited by Mike40

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

Good progress on the ship. I'm glad you took photos of your work space. This will be the last time you will see it clean! :)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks Albert and Scott. It gets really messed up when I'm doing general woodworking, but I have kept the mess from modeling to a minimum so far although I still have the bad habit of taking out tools and not putting them back as soon as I'm finished with them, so they wind up taking over my work bench. Good work habits can be a real blessing. I wish I had some!  :)

Mike,

I think most of us are guilty of the messy work table. I think that is one of the blessings of a build log is that I try to clean up the area for pictures so the more I update, the more I can keep things clean. It isn't fool proof as some of my pictures show but it does help a lot! :P

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Mike I had to follow up on your 'Chevalet de Marquetry' What a neat tool it could also be used for frames. your shop looks great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

E.J.   Yes, we have to clean up a bit for photos, but I usually just clear up around the photo area or take an angle that doesn't reveal too much. I not sure if I'm lazy or disorganized, or maybe both!

Michael    Thank you. I could use the chevalet to cut frames with, but my scroll saw is just as good for that and motorized to boot. That said, the chevalet can cut some extremely small almost dust particle size pieces very accurately. I could see myself using it for very detailed scroll work on a transom for example or maybe some small details in living quarters furnishings below deck etc. Unfortunately the Washington doesn't have any fancy carving or scroll work. I do think it potentially very useful for cutting small sheet brass ship fittings parts. Brass is used a lot in traditional marquetry produced with the chevalet. The advantage being that vey fine blades can be used for the tiniest of details without overheating due to the much slower hand powered sawing. 

Mike,

The advantage being that vey fine blades can be used for the tiniest of details without overheating due to the much slower hand powered sawing.

Mike one of the things that I liked about watching the video of the operation of the tool was the fine control that comes with the ease with which the carriage moved and the simplicity of gripping the part being cut. 

What is the finest blades that work well with this tool relative to the fine jeweler's saw blades? I like to use a # 3/0 for thin wood and # 7/0 for thin brass.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Great start and another Washington build I will be watching. I love your work bench top and that "Chevalet de Marquetry" is quite a piece of machinery, would it not be more accurate for cutting out the frame pieces than your  Excalibur?

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

• The title was changed to Galley Washington by Mike40 - 1:48 - POF