Batelina by Pierretessier - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1/10 - first build

Thanks Don,

Did a second soak and went a bit to far with one and it snapped. Arg!

Anyway back on track, I also took out my heat gun and an Iron my wife had for wood burning. It has a nice large quarter size copper head and I use a dimmer to manage the heat...working good so far.

Here's the hull ready for rough sanding.

post-26873-0-31877100-1485826945.jpg

Pierre.:10_1_10:

All in all it's pretty relaxing when you just take your time.....

Current build

Santa Maria by MarisStella

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Had to take a few days shore leave. Back at it this morning. Got the first of the top gallant boards shaped and glued in place.

post-26873-0-98391100-1486411792.jpg

Next I will install the seat before doing the second top galant, this will make it possible to slide the seat in easily ( Thanks Don, I almost forgot you mentioned to do the seat first.) I will post more images once seat and 2nd row of top gallants are in place..

Current build

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Nice work Pierre, the rails are looking spot on

Thanks guy's,

Did a bit more work on the tops, ready for rough sanding. I think I'm getting the hang of it. A few pieces on the interior and the floor left. Really enjoying this build looking forward to starting the Santa Maria, hopefully next week.

post-26873-0-99633700-1486591176.jpg

Cheers.

Current build

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

I'm really liking your work Pierre. Keep the photos coming.

Ian

Greetings, I know this is Pierre's thread so I apologize for the intrusion but, to follow the note I made the other day, Zoran loved the idea of making the Star and the Lightning. He even promised to use the number from my Star, 6756, for the sail. 

I think they will both be excellent kits as they are hard chine constructions similar to Batelina but more complicated and with interesting rigs. I think they'll make excellent models for the Maristella line.  

Cheers, 

Rick 

Rick Shousha

Montreal

Greetings, I know this is Pierre's thread so I apologize for the intrusion but, to follow the note I made the other day, Zoran loved the idea of making the Star and the Lightning. He even promised to use the number from my Star, 6756, for the sail.

I think they will both be excellent kits as they are hard chine constructions similar to Batelina but more complicated and with interesting rigs. I think they'll make excellent models for the Maristella line.

Cheers,

Rick

Hey Rick,

you hijacking my post....lol kidding.

I was not sure what you meant by STAR and LIGHTNING , my personal lack of knowledge. Now that I know what you meant I think it's excellent that Zoran may be thinking of doing this. And the Idea of using your numbers is cool, we will need a 3d figure of yourself at the helm.

Since we are talking about Zoran, may I add my personal gratitude to him. He is a true gentlemen and very helpful. I am glad to have connected with him on this forum, willing to help out in any way he can. My second build will be his Santa Maria kit and he has already agreed to help me out to make sure I go about it the proper way.

Not sure how many other kit manufacturers go the extra mile like this but I for one strongly recommend MarisStella for quality and support.

Now back to the shipyard, I have a floor to build for my Batelina.

Edited by Pierre Tessier

Current build

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Pierre, 

Dumas has a kit of the Lightning but I think Zoran can do a great job with this model.  Looking at his plans for Batelina and Pasara, I think we'll be building real, tiny, boats instead of something that looks kind of like a Lightning from fifty feet away. I also really like the quality of the wood Maristella uses. None of the other manufacturers come close to their quality.  As for the Star, Mamoli had a nice kit but they went out of business and the kit was discontinued. I'm not sure if Dusek, the company that is reviving the Mamoli line will be building the Star again. it seems the Mamoli kit was really nice, like all their kits and the number on the sail, 1426, was the number on the Star owned by the original owners of Mamoli. Again, I think Zoran can do a wonderful job with that. 

OK, no more hijacking; let's see more pictures of Batelina. I can't wait to build that myself!

Cheers, 

Rick 

Edited by rshousha

Rick Shousha

Montreal

Agree 100 % Rick. :-)

I was woried about doing a single layer plank for my first build. I think it turned out not bad. The precision lazer parts and the quality of the wood has a lot to do with it.

post-26873-0-54126600-1486936748.jpg

I will redo the oar tholes "not a fan of exposed plywood"

post-26873-0-69373000-1486936759.jpg

3 bits and 2 oars a fine sanding and some finish and she will be done!

Edited by Pierre Tessier

Current build

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Officially finished my first build.

Finished her with a Minwax wipe on poly, gave it a nice finish I was looking for.

She is now proudly displayed on the mantel.

Time to clean up the bench and get ready for my next build....

post-26873-0-65638300-1487470929.jpg

Edited by Pierre Tessier

Current build

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Beautiful congrats on number one!

Doug

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Very nice Pierre, hopefully this is the first of many more to come

Thanks to all for  following my first build.

For those interested I have started my second build and can be followed here. Santa Maria

Any comments welcomed.

Cheers/

Current build

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella