Hey howya goin all, I'm looking to buy some Black Ebony 4 or 8 pieces 350mm x 25mm x 25mm, (14" x 1" x 1") anyone know where I might get some?    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Eddie, try this vendor - he was very great to work with to buy custom sized ebony for my Morgan build.  Not sure how shipping will work out as I see you're in Australia, but hopefully he can be a resource if you're not finding anything local.

www.inlaybanding.com

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

As has been remarked many times on MSW: ebony is hard to work, does not glue or bend well and is toxic. It is also expensive. Consider dyeing a different specie of wood black instead. Holly has worked very well for me.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Putting aside the cost and dust issues, I haven't found ebony to be that hard to work with.  It cuts very well and cleanly, sands nicely, takes glue just fine (I use Gorilla brand wood glue, which I've used on all my models, and all different kinds of woods), and can be bent with soaking and heat if you are patient.  Take a look at my Morgan build log and you can see the kind of work that can be done with ebony.

It's not as easy as let's say pear, but it looks much nicer than ebonized pear in my opinion.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

12 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Eddie, try this vendor

Hey howya goin Mike mate, I will send that guy a eminl to see if he can help me out thanks.    :bird-vi:

Thanks druxey and Michael I know that Ebony is not good for you thats why I'll be doing the Ebony work out side with a dust mask.

Does anyone else know where I could get the pieces I need thanks.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi Eddie -

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/product/gab2x12.html

nothing local mate but these guys have "Gaboon Ebony Black African 1x2x12" Boards " show a photo of the boards and they look reasonable just convert to $AU and if that doesn't break the bank add freight and you're in business. They say they ship OS.

Cheers Pete

PS on the next page they have 4x4 selling by Board ft if that's any help - bit exy though

Not in Australia so I imagine the shipping would be painful, but Gilmer Wood Company is your huckleberry for long bits of ebony.

Edit, oops forgot the link - https://www.gilmerwood.com/search/results?utf8=✓&q=Ebony

Thanks PeteB mate.   :bird-vi:

Thanks Brian mate.   :bird-vi:

I have some black piano keys which I have used occasionally with no trouble.  Rosewood and Lignum Vitae which I have used to make tool handles for my clay modelling tools.  Most woods are toxic or at best, noxious.  Mansonia, a lovely wood to use for small detail and a wood from which we, at John B. Thorp, once made a model in 1/500th scale of the entire city of Cardiff makes barbed dust that doesn't come up if breathed in.  I was an apprentice there nearly 50 years ago.  Mahogany is allegedly carcinogenic.

Even balsa wood makes me sneeze uncontrollably and pear makes my skin itch more than epoxy modelling board.

The woefully underplayed Joe Jackson had it right with his excellent song..."Everything gives you cancer".

Martin

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

Miss America X, 1/8th scale-scratchbuilt

Baby Horace III, 1/8th scale-     "

Miss Britain III, 1/12th scale-     "

Riva Aquarama Specials x 2, 1/12th scale-scratchbuilt

Lapstrake Freebody electric canoe, 1/12th scale-"

Albatross speedboat, 1/6th scale, all aluminium, "

Current builds:-

Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field - scale 1:16 - Radio

If ebony turns out to be hard to get try looking for African black wood.  A good substitute.  There are a couple of other woods that can be used as well.  Check the wood database online.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

15 hours ago, grsjax said:

If ebony turns out to be hard to get try looking for African black wood

I looked at that African black wood not bad at all, looks good thanks mate.   :bird-vi:

7 hours ago, neptune said:

G'day Eddie, there is some on eby,    300 x 25 x 25

Hey howya goin John mate, yeah thanks I got some of them coming in the mail but I need 350mm long thanks anyway mate.    :bird-vi: