Jump to content

18th century longboat by sideways - from MS plans - Finished


Recommended Posts

Ok so I finished my longboat kit build from model shipways and found it was fun and challenging,so I started looking at other kits to build my second model . Then yesterday by chance I got a bunch of teakwood from a friend and thought to myself what am I going to do with this . Then I figured why not cut it up and build another longboat but this time from scratch using all teakwood. I have never done anything like this before and never worked with teakwood before . But what the heck I figure I'll give it a shot.  I will build it using Model Shipway plans and instructions . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I actually got to start fabrication , I wanted to get the false keel done first , as it looked like it was going to be the most complicated peice to make. So I traced the plan for the false keel onto a piecs of paper and then transferred that onto a piece of 3/32 teak that I had ripped earlier in the week . Then I used my Dremel with a multi purpose cutting bit #561 , and the cutting guide attachment. To get a rough cut around my marked pattern. 20170827_141422.thumb.jpg.0539470ca96cb58a224076fb2c209151.jpg20170827_094257.thumb.jpg.27609ca491ad8735c146654ac04d98b9.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After I had the rough cut out , I used a few drops of glue to adhere the paper template I had traced earlier to it. Then I broke ot my files and sand paper and slowly worked the rough cut teak to match my template. I then removed the paper, and sanded of the glue and shaped the aft of the fakse keel. I also shaped the bottom edge of the false keel bringing them down from 3/32 to 1/32  to allow the planking a nice place to sit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started on my bulkheads, Using the traced bulkheads from the plans and proceeded to "hack " out a rough  shape  around the paper templates. I say hacked because as u can see from the photos I wouldn't say I "cut "  them out lol . Then I used files and sanding blocks to get the shape to match my template , then I got smart and got rid of the files and sanding blocks and broke out my dremel with the rotary shaft and sanding drum and life was good . I did use the files and sanding blocks to get the final shape of the bulkheads . I really enjoyed building the kit of this longboat , but must say the joy of creating these pieces from scratch is great and very relaxing. this is the first time doing a scratch build and I think I'm doing it ok . I hope to have the bulkheads done, glued and the hull faired so I can start planking this weekend . Also I posted earlier that I was cutting my planks at 1/32x3/32 but that was incorrect . The planks are cut 1/32x 1/8 . I cut them a bit larger so I can sand the edges to get my final measurements and keep them all true .... well that's the plan anyway. I will let y'all know how that works out for me .

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have glued in the bulkheads and fillers at the bow ,I also glued a couple pieces of basswood strips on the inside of the hull to help sturdy it up a bit while fairing the outside of the bulkheads. I glued them close to top of the bulkheads to make removing the basswood and cleaning off the glue easier .

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started planking today and found out teak don't like to bend the way I wanted it to . I Even soaked the pieces  over night . But it did not phase the wood planks. So I went to the kitchen and boiled them, I started with six planks but found once they cooled even slightly they were not as playable is I wanted .so I boiled two and formed them let them cool and dry and then set them on the hull . Then repeated process.

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Luckily I got the first few planks on without incident.  But the boat was very fragile to handle, I thought for sure I was going to snap a bulkhead or two I would recommend leaving the inside bracing on and just cut enough off to install the transom .I see why  Steve asked his question and realize my mistake as soon as I removed them,a noob mistake for sure . And I'm sure more of those to come lol ,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the planking done . And with the huge hurricane only days away I thinking I should have built a bigger boat 😳 . So I figured I'd sit outside and sand the hull down and start cleaning up the inside of the hull and the inside is going to take some work so I will sit out here and do it and enjoy the weather while I can lol here's a few pics of the inside (I haven't started on yet ) and the outside that I have started sanding on 

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...