Virginia Privateer by David Lester - FINISHED - Marine Model Co. - Restoration of approx. 60 yr. old model

Beautiful color on the spars. What wood and/or stain is that?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what wood the spars are made from, but I assume it's the kit-supplied wood, so who knows? As for the colour, I like it too. I repainted the painted parts, but I left the natural parts as I found them, apart from giving them a light wiping with some mineral spirits to clean them. The spars as well as the blocks all have a slight orangey cast, which makes me suspect he used shellac on them. Also, I think shellac was more of a staple than other stains and finishes in most home workshops 50-60 years ago, and more so than it is today. So my guess is shellac, but it's only a guess.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Had not considered shellac. Whatever it is I like it.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hello Everyone,

Well, I have finished my restoration of this old model and I'm reasonably happy with the result. I have to thank Bill again for sending me the plans; I don't think I could have done it without them. I've tried to keep it as similar to the original modeler's vision as possible. I resisted the urge to replace a couple of parts that I could likely have done better and I kept the paint scheme the same, even though it doesn't correspond exactly to the plan's directions. The only two major changes I made that I thought had to happen were the addition of ratlines - I'm not sure why they had been omitted - and I redrew the waterline which now corresponds to the plans. The result here is a slightly larger yellow section.

Now, I will reorganize my workbench and open my Fresh Prince of Neufchatel kit and it's time to start thinking about what kit to get to have waiting on the shelf. I'm finding that I'm increasingly drawn to these American privateers, Baltimore Clippers etc, so I'm considering the Pride of Baltimore II, but my concern is that it's pretty similar to this Virginia privateer. My other thought is the Charles W. Morgan, for a real change of pace and it appears to be quite challenging. As much as I would like to build the Victory and especially since my visit to see it last September, I really don't think I'm up for another mammoth build, nor for such a massive model to have to find a spot for. So I will keep pondering and I'm sure the right answer will come to me.

Thanks for the likes and comments,

David

DSCN1768.JPG.626cc6b070452a32ecc4f147c954771e.JPG

5a7f598abc346_DSCN1630(Custom).JPG.f45acb9c862a887756cda199435c29ad.JPG

DSCN1774.JPG.7a05967598acc46c7095d7126db12f90.JPG

DSCN1773.JPG.1ae966364d25e4bdea8e3e308facfd4f.JPGDSCN1772.JPG.f6d3b1ecf44548d62c474f5db09bbe85.JPG

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

David:

Nice work. This is a very attractive vessel and your rigging job looks great. Well done. 

Russ

David - I hope you have a good place to dock her now. She's a real eye-catcher. I hope you are pleased with your effort.

As far as a new kit for the shelf, if you want to stay small what about Enterprise or Independence? For either, you can stay with the plans or bash to your hearts content. I've had Enterprise in progress for over a year. When I need a change of pace - a little bit here, a little bit there.

Once again, congratulations on your completion!

Congratulations on another fine model David.  I'm looking forward to your PdN build now!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Mike, thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of either of those two, but they are they type of ship I like. I'll add them to my short list.

David

Wonderful job of bringing an old girl back to her glorious youth.

Thanks Don. I can't tell you how much having this model means to me. It's become the most prized of my growing collection. Just the sight of that black, yellow and copper hull takes me right back to when I was about 8 or 10 years old and was mesmerized by this model, (along with several others,) when it sat on one of my friend's family's many mantelpieces.

David