Constitution by jfinan - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters

Looking fantastic! Love the Old Ironsides...

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

• 4 weeks later...

In research I've discovered several different ways of setting up the ratlines. I've decided to "fix" the lower deadeyes in place on the channels and build from there with the idea of having as few moving parts as possible. I added two small lengths of wire to the channels to assist in gluing the channels to the hull. The channels are "roughed in" and I'm contemplating the small half-round lengths to finish off. 0.jpg.d4c9ecc0ae160c7de7b215c7220174b1.jpg

The deadeyes are cleaned then glued to the channels.

1.jpg

The channels are rough fitted to the hull.
3.jpg.5416fd87c2a723174297d44c2fc4d11b.jpg
I'm contemplating using some 1/2 round to tidy up the channel edge.halfround.jpg.f420d06aa6e950df48a16b38c2d25e7d.jpg

Further, I've begun work on the spars. Note the sheets to keep things organized. 

4.jpg.d8cc4287234d0cc077daa65d91c71bab.jpg

Edited by jfinan

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2018 at 11:34 AM, jfinan said:

I found about six different references on the best technique to copper a hull. All different! As you can see below, I ended up inventing my own laying in two rows of dressing belt at the waterline and four rows at the keel, then locating the widest point of girth on the hull and drawing a line perpendicular to the waterline. At the end of most rows the plates will be trimmed to fit against the preceding row. As expected the widest point will require one or two "filler" rows. That's the plan anyway. At least it's tidy! A note for anyone considering coppering: give the hull a coat of copper colour paint before you start. A few very tiny cracks of "white" are peeking through. Hindsight really is 20/20.

899450195_copperprogress.thumb.jpg.7c472b97115e9dafa9739f1e1ff99bfc.jpg

I love this method!  I am building a small POB HMS Victory and am detailing it as I go.  Your coppering method might be an answer to several problems I have had coppering her. Thanks!

Bill

• 1 year later...

When is a model finished? I mean, I could go on and detail until I go completely insane or I can finish the running rigging and call it complete. And that's what I've done. A bit of a rest and on to the next one.  Thanks, Nic at Blue Jacket Shipcrafters, for the advice, encouragement, and support.

image.thumb.jpeg.01e67c4e95c6b03e805379105142ebf5.jpeg

Edited by jfinan

• 2 weeks later...

Well done sailor, very well done,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 8 months later...