By way of introduction

robert952

Greetings,

I just joined this past weekend as result of the last printing of Ships In Scale.  A big thank you for the copy of the NRJ that was sent to SIS  subscribers.  I read the accompanying letter and plans of the Journal.  I am glad to see the commitment to beginner modelers.  I may be more intermediate...I don't know the 'qualifications' that define these categories.  However, I am sure I will benefit from associating with this group.  

By profession, I am a technical trainer for an global manufacturer.  But I can see the light at the end of my career tunnel is not an oncoming train.  I plan on retiring (next year) after what will be 47 years in the work force (and for the same company).  As preparation for retirement, I decided one of my hobbies will include building models (along with gardening and 3D CGI art).  So, I have been buying models, building (IMHO) a decent library around things nautical, and learning some new skills.  (I have a few cars, a couple of military models and such in the collection, but my direction will be towards wooden ship models.)

As for my model ship history?  As a young child, my dad and I built various models (car, planes and ships).  My favorite was Revell's USS Missouri - mainly because of the impressive detail (for a 10-year-old) in that model.  I moved the completed model with the family and the model survived until my brother took one of my jet plane models and performed a kamikaze attack.  Another copy of that model is in my closet to be built again because, in part, those memories.  Also, because I toured the ship now berthed at Pearl Harbor.  (She is an impressive lady.)  

I read with interest Chris' cautionary tale to beginners.  Like he points out, 'real life' (RL) got in the way of my hobbies.  As Chris' thread warns, I bit off more than I could chew (attempting a plank on frame of the Golden Hind).  I admitted to my blunder and re-evaluated my direction.  I realized I needed to learn some new skills. To that end, I have managed to complete a 'weekend kit' from Midwest (Dinghy), attended a workshop at the NC Maritime Museum (Beaufort, NC) and built a half hull (lift method - NC Shad Boat - finished and hanging on the wall). I may rephotograph those and post them to the gallery in a few weeks.

RL still curtailed my hobby though and I do have a couple other 'unfinished' models in the closet. But I have a plan and have been working towards getting into building ship models.  I look forward to associating more with the forums (and other hobbies) as retirement approaches.  And in case you didn't gather from this thread, I can be quite verbose.  But I plan to be active, so you may have to learn to get used to long posts from me.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Welcome aboard from another shipmate from downunder. 

Cheers........ Fernando 🍻

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Welcome, and greetings from Belgium

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW!! Great to have you with us and best wishes on your future builds! Happy modeling!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild