Nina by Alan - Mini-Mamoli - 1:106

Many years ago when I was working on the Syren, I decided that I wished to have a model ship finished sooner rather than later, as the Syren was going to take a while.  There is strong irony in that sentence, but I'll move on.  I also wanted to build a wooden model from a kit, as I'd never purchased a wooden ship kit before.   The Mini-Mamoli kit of the Nina eventually ended up on the workbench.  The start of this project was around 2010 or so.  Below is the front of the box complete with dried glue, wood strips and sawdust.    

I'm going to post the photos I've taken through the years with commentary along the way.  I'm posting this log as it is a fun and simple kit, which I think I really will be able to complete soon.

IMGP1278.jpg.603536cec5de51eeef1b6f40e070d846.jpg

I can't remember the type of wood supplied for the deck, but it was extremely thin, and was very easy to assemble.  I really wish however, that I'd marked the edges and ends of the planks before assembling, as the seams are not distinct at a distance.  I'm still actually debating how I might "fix" the issue.  If I recall, the deck did receive a coat of oil in hopes the seams would be more visible....

Alan

001.JPG

So this is where the rebellious side of me took over....  For some reason, I wanted to change the shape of the stern, so went wild with sanding. (The hull came as a solid block, which made it easy to shape however you wished).  I'd also received some really nice black walnut wood from Reklein, so decided to incorporate that into the build instead of the lower quality wood supplied in the kit.

The planked counter below.  The odd cut up the counter was eventually widened to accept keel/rudder assembly components.. Kind of a strange way to assemble, but it was fun. This also might have been an "Alan" idea instead of the recommended procedure called for in the instructions.. In fact I'm pretty sure it was.

Alan

002.JPG

Edited by knightyo

This photo shows the solid wood hull supplied with the kit. It was very easy to use the hull as a base to assemble everything else up against.  Below is the keel after gluing.  I believe the hull even had a slot all the way down the bottom and up the stem to receive keel pieces.  

Alan

003.JPG

Planks glued up against the small bow area.  Again, tops not sanded/cut beforehand... That seems a little funny now, but I'm sure it was satisfying during the moment.  I think I left the bottoms of the planks fairly unexact against the deck, as I knew the seam would be covered by a moulding strip.

Alan

003a.JPG

Edited by knightyo

Planking has been installed along the hull of the ship.  This is a pretty large deviation from the plans, as these sections were to have a single piece bent around and glued.  I wanted the model to look a little nicer than that, so just planked everything.   The hull has also received a while acrylic paint.  I wanted to have a weathered look to the paint, which you will see in successive photos.. Not sure if I like the way it is currently applied; might need to remedy that...  I think the weathering idea was due to the fact that the paint line didn't come out perfectly all along the hull, so I wanted to make it look like it was supposed to be that way....

Alan

006.JPG

Edited by knightyo

View of the inside.  The strips along the sides have not been applied yet, but a strip has been applied along the cabin area.  BUT... It's far far too wide.  I'm debating what to do about this.  We all know the risks of trying to "fix" a piece like that after it's been glued in...

Alan

013.JPG

I had so much fun making the longboat for the Syren, I decided it would be a good idea to ditch the metal boat supplied with the kit, reduce the Syren's boat plans down, and create my own boat.   Later posts will reveal something interesting that happened during this process.

Alan

014.JPG