Jump to content

Creole Queen by mtdoramike - FINISHED - Dumas - Paddle Wheeler - received partially built


Recommended Posts

I can't really call this a build log because I didn't start the build, I received this partially built Creole Queen from a friend over on the east Coast of Florida. The original owner and builder had health issues and had to move away and could no longer finish the Creole Queen. I had not to long ago retired from ship and boat building, but being a sucker for a unfinished boat project, I just had to take on the project and due to the original builder being famed builder Tony Lombardo, that was like icing on the cake for me.

 

Here are a few pics of her as I received it. I started out by staining .5mmx8mm limewood strips with red mahogany stain and applying them to the decks. This was not allowed for on the kit, but I hate painted decks on boats, that to me is like a cop out. Next, I will look at drilling and installing the three rudders and rudder assist fin which goes up towards the middle of the hull, which assists in turning the boat. 

20181029_160222.jpg

20181029_160236.jpg

20181029_161046.jpg

20181029_161354.jpg

20181029_162224.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The drive system that Tony was working looked like a nightmare to continue with, so I decided to make it a little easier on myself and not try and re-invent the wheel here. So I ordered a 90 degree geared drive system from Cornwall. I will check it out and see how it works, if I don't like it, then I will go back to the rubber "O" ring and pulley system, which is what is recommended from Dumas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I have been getting a wee bit of work done on the Queen the last few days. Still waiting on  few parts such as single and double rudder arms 3/16" to control the rudders (3) of them with the rudder servo. I mounted the first deck on with some mounting blocks glued to the deck so that I could screw down the deck from the sides with three screws per side so that way the client will be able to remove the whole decking assembly to access the hull interior if need be.    

DSC00547.JPG

DSC00546.JPG

DSC00545.JPG

DSC00544.JPG

DSC00543.JPG

DSC00542.JPG

DSC00541.JPG

DSC00540.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks John, it was a pleasure and an honor to finish Tony's model. I just wish he were still around to see it. The display base was actually part of the building board. It was some what of a pain because there is an aluminum fin that is built into the center bottom of the hull that sticks down from the center of the hull a good two inches, so I had to cut out a slit in the center of the board to accommodate that fin. I believe the fin is supposed to give assistance in turning and makes the boat a bit more maneuverable with the paddle wheel and the three rear rudders.

 

The white pickets between the railings were supposed to be placed on thin plastic sheeting and just wrapped around each deck on the boat. I hated that idea, so I bought some heavier plastic, transposed the pickets onto the thicker plastic and then took my trusty Dremel tool and grooves into some thin wood stock, glued in the plastic between the two railings and then installed them onto the model. To me, this gives it a more finished look. This was just one of the modifications I made to the model. I also caulked all around the bottom or boiler deck just in case water splashed up over the deck, water wouldn't be able to make it down to the hull interior and the electronics.

 

Unlike the original model, I made each deck to be able with just a bit of effort to be removed separately with the removal of 4 small screws on each deck.    

mike   

Edited by mtdoramike
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well the Queen embarked on her maiden voyage to her new port in a storm last night. The new owner was ecstatic over the results and wasted no time in picking her up. I hated to see the Queen leave, but a deal is a deal even with my wife who at times will let me fudge a little. But I promised I would let current and future models go once they are completed and not hoard them (once I had as many as 15 ship models, 12 of them in a eight foot by eight foot storage cabinet the length of a wall that I built to house a few model hahahaha).    

 

mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...