Vapor Rimac 1848 by mhkash - side wheel paddle steamer

Hi All

I decided to work on 2 models at the same time :), perhaps this is because I do get bored of looking at the same build every day. So i got the idea of working on 2 models , and as i work on different stages of each model, I hope to have fun :) . Here is the first one, it is Vapor Rimac 1848, a side wheel paddle steamer. 

I didn't start shooting the building log from the begging cause it looked awful :(

please help me with your comments . thank you all

BAP_Rímac.jpg

rimac1.jpg

DSC_1371.JPG

DSC_1372.JPG

DSC_1373.JPG

DSC_1374.JPG

Edited by mhkash
word correction (bored instead of board)

Hello! I took the liberty of fleshing out your build log title a bit, as I'm sure that many members (like me, for instance) will have no idea what a "Vapor Rimac" is. Perhaps you know the story behind the unusual name?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

16 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Hello! I took the liberty of fleshing out your build log title a bit, as I'm sure that many members (like me, for instance) will have no idea what a "Vapor Rimac" is. Perhaps you know the story behind the unusual name?

Thank you very much, I should have included that from the beginning., thank you for being there :)

DSC_1382.JPG

DSC_1383.JPG

DSC_1384.JPG

Edited by mhkash

The Rimac steam-powered frigate was built for Peru in New York, United States of America, between 1847 and 1848, for the famous firm Brown & Bell, which had designed several warships for the United States Navy.

The ship possessed a motor of 200 horsepower manufactured by the company Stilman & Allen, that allowed her to reach a speed of 13 knots. She was armed with two 68-inch guns and four 24-inch guns, all of British manufacture. Rimac was handled by a crew of 100 men.

The Rimac arrived in Peru in 1848 and became the first war steamer in Latin America.

The ship sank in 1855, after colliding with a submarine rock at Punta San Juan, Ica, in 1855. A total of 78 men lost their lives in the unfortunate accident.

http://www.geocities.ws/barcosdelperu/rimac.html

Edited by mhkash

mhkash,

I think the translation to English is a bit off on the guns.  Looks like "weight" (lbs or pounds) got translated as inches.  From Wikipedia I get this: 2 68 pound muzzleloader guns and 4 24 pound guns.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 4/19/2019 at 12:57 AM, mtaylor said:

mhkash,

I think the translation to English is a bit off on the guns.  Looks like "weight" (lbs or pounds) got translated as inches.  From Wikipedia I get this: 2 68 pound muzzleloader guns and 4 24 pound guns.

You are right, thank you for the correction ... It seemed OK to me to imagine a 68 inch Gun. However I didn't think more about the 24 inch side guns (to have a 60 cm side gun is ridiculous :(  ) sorry for that.  

Good Morning 

I painted the Model with two types of paint

1- Above the water line, used a cheep Black Spray I bought from the Stationary, and to get good result, i sprayed the color directly after sanding so the color is absorbed in a short time

2- Below , i used Acrylic bronze paint, to have the effect of copper plated surface.

here we go

DSC_1394.JPG

DSC_1385.JPG

DSC_1386.JPG

DSC_1387.JPG

DSC_1388.JPG

DSC_1389.JPG

DSC_1390.JPG

DSC_1391.JPG

DSC_1392.JPG

DSC_1393.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Chalo said:

Hello :

Please can you help me to find the blue prints  of this vessel Vapor Rimac ? My Email : vchalo@gmail.com

Will appreciated !

Chalo Guevara

Hello 

Actually I didn't find the correct plan for the Model, instead I used the Plan for USS Saginaw with Some Modifications to the Hull and Bulkhead of course. The Similarities are 

- 2 Masts, 

- Side wheel Paddles

And the chimney

Please Note that the deck rigging is totally different.

please find it below

Thank you 452844295_USSSaginawbycatopowerscalepaddlewheelgunboat1859.thumb.jpg.f0a1fd9387ace6101c4d37cae1ae9f31.jpg
Edited by mhkash
add comment

Thanks you so much for your help !. Will take these plans as a sample and start from that. One more question: The deck rigging is not showing below. This is the only set of plans that you use in your project ?

Thanks again for you help !

Kind regards,

Chalo Guevara

13 hours ago, Chalo said:

Thanks you so much for your help !. Will take these plans as a sample and start from that. One more question: The deck rigging is not showing below. This is the only set of plans that you use in your project ?

Thanks again for you help !

Kind regards,

Chalo Guevara

Hello Chalo, Yes this is the only plan I got, however, i keep reading and collecting information about the Rigging. Some times I'm lucky to find some photos of a previous build, but the hard work is to collect the info from Naval sites for the boat in progress and similar boats of the same purpose & origin. I hope this may help you.

Kind regards

• 5 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning All,

I spent the weekend working on some deck rigging, here you go :), the canons will have black paint still.

Thank you

DSC_1796.JPG

DSC_1797.JPG

DSC_1798.JPG

DSC_1800.JPG

DSC_1801.JPG

DSC_1802.JPG

DSC_1804.JPG

DSC_1805.JPG

DSC_1806.JPG

DSC_1807.JPG

DSC_1808.JPG

DSC_1812.JPG

DSC_1813.JPG

14 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Very interesting model and very well done.

Yves

Good Morning Yves, Thank you very much for your nice words ... I started working on the dead-eye Blocks yesterday and I had the intention to post some photos , however I ran out of glue so I stopped 🙄 ,  I'll buy some today then will post some photos as soon as I have something worthy 

Thank you 😊😊

4 hours ago, JToma said:

This looks like a very challenging build. Your doing a great job.

Thank you very much Jeff .. Your nice words really made my day 😊

• 1 month later...

Hello, very nice work!...

I don’t know if you got this information, but according to some historic references, the paddle wheels had two “suns” decorating them, one at each side. This was in reference and honor to the Inca heritage, quite important for Peruvians. Also, it is said that it carried a golden Peruvian coat of arms.