safety neting construction

Congratulations on your first post on model ship world! If I was doing the safety net I’d tie it all together on a jig off the model. I imagine it’s tied on its outboard sides to Bowsprit Shrouds? I’d make all that stuff off the model and glue it on in one piece. Or omit it entirely? After all it’s very small diameter rope. On my models i will often decide not to include some stuff that’s below a certain size/visibility threshold.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Look in a fabric store   or  at skeeter netting  or look for used woman's  hats from the 40's and 50's  or old style hair nets.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

It's not all that difficult to make it on a frame and then attach it to the model. Draw the net, ruling all the cordage with a fine pencil on a sheet of paper.  glue the sheet of paper to a scrap of wood block. Drive nails of tacks ("push pins" are handy for this) into the edges of the block everywhere that a line drawn would extend over the edge of the block. Then take your thread and wrap it over the pins in one direction, and then in the other, so that the line, stretched taut over the nails or tacks, forms squares of the mesh size desired. For fine work, you can simply touch the thread with a bit of shellac, thinned PVA cement, or a dab of clear nail polish (perhaps thinned a bit with acetone) and let it all dry. The net can then be cut from the nails or tacks and attached to the model.  Depending on the scale, you can alternately tie each intersection of the thread squares with a separate piece of fine thread (a surgeon's knot works well for this) to fasten the intersections.

11 hours ago, Jaager said:

Look in a fabric store   or  at skeeter netting  or look for used woman's  hats from the 40's and 50's  or old style hair nets.

In a fabric store or Amazon, you are looking for " tulle " or millinery netting.

It would probably require an inspection to check the size of the weave..

Too bad it is sold by the yard, when the need is only a few square inches..

A place like JoAnn's  might give you a small free sample, which might be all you need..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Hi Tom,

I had to make some safety netting for my Morgan. I tried finding tulle in a fabric store, but the only stuff I could find was much too fine, so I resorted to making it. I essentially did what Bob suggest above -

It was a little like tying ratlines, only the resulting squares needed to be diamond shape, so I made two rows of nails and strung lines between them so that they were a little bit like shrouds, only they ran parallel. I then ran two lines on an angle across them, which represented the outer edges of the shape I ultimately needed.

58190603_DSCN2452(Custom).JPG.ee038586bdf6e70a00559e62c6104ee0.JPG

Then I added "ratlines" securing them to the vertical "shrouds" and ending them at diagonal lines which defined the shape of the finished piece.

189913150_DSCN2453(Custom).JPG.e108c16b4ef2bc0d21eaeecc80021630.JPG

I glued the knots and then cut out the piece.

164658050_DSCN2454(Custom).JPG.bbf47562c13271d69803f755902d485f.JPG

1131443245_DSCN2455(Custom).JPG.871dd13074e3994e494d166eb5ef97e5.JPG

Admittedly, this is a much simpler shape than the safety netting on POB II, but perhaps the same technique might be made to work. The size of the "diamonds" can be adjusted to whatever is called for. These ones are fairly large, but they're exactly what the plans indicated.

My next project is the POB II and I'm hoping I can make it work. I'm certainly going to try it at least. Just a thought.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati