3 Lighthouses by Dan Vadas - HMV - 1:250 - CARD

Hi all. Having finished the Cape Byron lighthouse and the M24D Hind helicopter, and still waiting on my next kit, I'm making the other 3 lighthouses that came with the first. These won't take long, so I hope my other kit turns up soon. Here are pics of the three :

Tacking Point, Port Macquarie :

IMG_6225.JPG

Hornby - Watson's Bay, Sydney :

IMG_6226.JPG

Cape Green, Eden :

IMG_6227.JPG

First up is the Tacking Point lighthouse near Port Macquarie NSW. It was built in 1879 and was the 4th of five lighthouses built around that time on the NSW mid-north coast of similar design. More information can be found by clicking HERE.

I'm going to donate it to the Port Macquarie Maritime Museum so it can keep company with my HMS Vulture, which I donated to the Museum several years ago. They have a cabinet full of models built in unusual ways, but as far as I know this will be the first one made from paper.

I've actually finished this one already - it took me 2 1/2 days. Here is a pic of most of the parts, some of which I've already prepared :

IMG_6275.JPG

I reinforced the base with a few card strips :

IMG_6279.JPG

The utility building :

IMG_6278.JPG

The dome for the light. The additional card in the middle is a method I've used for previous domes - it makes it much easier to glue :

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

The completed model :

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

IMG_6282.JPG

IMG_6283.JPG

IMG_6284.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

The Hornby Lighthouse at Watson's Bay, Sydney. It's also known as the South Head Lighthouse. Built in 1858 it was the 3rd lighthouse built in Australia following the wreck of the Dunbar with the loss of 121 lives. More information can be found HERE.

This is the simplest of the four in the kit - it only took me a day and a half to make. Lining up the red stripes was critical to the outcome :

IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6291.JPG

Most of the windows and doors are recessed. These little portholes took a bit of planning when fitting them :

IMG_6292.JPG

IMG_6293.JPG

The finished model. The railings are laser cut card :

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

these are some superb mini projects Danny..........enhancing the railings is a very nice touch ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The final lighthouse - Green Cape near Eden on the New South Wales South Coast. At 29 metres high it is the state's 2nd tallest lighthouse. It was built between 1881 and 1883. More info can be found HERE.

The main body of the lighthouse was a bit tricky to glue together owing to it's shape :

IMG_6324.JPG

IMG_6325.JPG

IMG_6326.JPG

IMG_6327.JPG

The way this scalloped feature was designed in the kit didn't work, as the card delaminated after folding and the gap didn't close properly. I drew up and cut 8 triangular pieces to replace the original - they turned out a LOT better :

IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

Decorative knees support the platform. These were laser cut :

IMG_6331.JPG

Two domes, one for each building :

IMG_6332.JPG

The finished model :

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

IMG_6336.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...

superbly done!   great looking repair as well ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch