MY HMS Surprise Build

Johncal

Hi Guys,

My name is John Callahan. I joined up as I wanted to share my completed AL HMS Surprise model with you. I worked on the model for 5-1/2 years. It is my first wooden ship construction. It is a faithful Reproduction of the MOVIE VERSION of the ship. The model has been significantly modified including rebuilding the entire bow and added poop deck as in the movie version. However, even in that where I found the Movie version to be historically inaccurate, I changed it to be period correct. Since no one knows exactly what the ship looked like, I tried to make sure that everything was a period accurate as possible. All of the ropes are hand made and to scale and all the rigging is as accurate as possible down to the knots used.

I Also hand built the display case, and the ship has both internal and external lighting. 

Below is a dropbox link that shows finished Photos, as well as over 500 build pics, and 3 volumes of build logs. You might find this all very interesting from not just a technical perspective, but also what my approach was to turn out the job that I did. Please feel free to make comments or ask questions.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6bdxcsuty38fhw9/AADZrmMTgMXTJzB6kLSYxJ62a?dl=0

Best Regards,

John

Edited by Johncal
added more wording

You did an amazing job on your model!  What did you do before you did this for experience?  Beautiful work and welcome!

I used to and still do plastic kits but this was a whole different level. I also used to design and invent electro mechanical arcade games so I have a creative streak I just take advantage of. I also have a philosophy that if it doesn’t look right work on it until it’s perfect and then move on. If you read through my build logs there is a ton of good info on how I conquered the beast. 

Thank you you very much for the kind words. I’d be happy to discuss my methods any time. 

John,

Welcome to MSW.   I'd suggest that your next project to open a build log. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice! 

The rope looks really good.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

3 hours ago, Gregory said:

Very nice! 

The rope looks really good.

Thank you. I made all my own ropes to scale. All the thread used is Coats & Clark outdoor polyester. It is unbelievably strong and with absolutely no fuzzing. Also very resistant to atmospheric changes. It never loosens or tightens. It just stays right. 

• 4 months later...

John - really an amazing job.  I will soon start my Surprise by AL and will use your log as a guide.  Do you recall what size of Coats & Clark thread you used and the colors?  I have a rope walk I purchased from Domanoff and will be using that.

Paul

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

Brigantine Phoenix - Master Korabel 1/72 scale

PREVIOUS BUILDS:

HMS Victory - Heller/Imai 1/100 scale

Privateer Rattlesnake - Model Shipways 1/64 scale 

USS Arizona on Dec 7th 1941 - Trumpeter 1/200 scale

IJN Yamato - Nichimo 1/200 scale 

USS Silversides - Trumpeter 1/72 scale 

USS Missouri - Trumpeter 1/200 scale

English Carronade - Mantua 1/17 scale

English Gun Deck - Panart 1/23 scale