4" Table Saw Blades

I'm wondering where I can purchase 4" table saw blades in Canada, or more specifically in Ontario.  I won't need any soon but have been doing some research.  The normal box stores don't stock them and I've tried a few specialty woodworking stores websites.  It's for the Byrnes saw and although he sells good blades with his saw I figured now is time to save a buck or two and try to find something locally.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Newman Tools Inc has an office in Ottawa.  They used to be an interface for Thurston.   Thurston is no more.  Madco is an alternative.  Perhaps, THE alternative in this hemisphere.

Perhaps communicating with Newman would provide you with information about what resources are available.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I believe the jeweler's slotting saw blades are available from an outfit called "MALCO." (Not "Madco," which is an easy mistake to make. I first looked for "Matco," which is another tool company.

Jim Byrnes carries arbor bushings which can be slid over the arbor too accommodate larger arbor holes. Sometimes it's hard to find a blade with the right sized arbor hole. 

If it matters, from what I've seen, Jim Byrnes' blades are priced the same as anywhere else. He's not marking them up significantly. You may save some in shipping, but they are shipped in an envelope like a letter, so it can't be much.

MALCO.  Cranston, Rhode Island

https://www.malcosaw.com/high-speed-steel-saws/jeweler-s-slotting-saws.html

Based on Jim's recommendations, I used to get my replacement blades from THURSTON.  When they went out of business, somebody recommended MALCO...I believe it was this forum.  I see relacement for slitting saw blades, which I use 90% of the time, but not a comparable larger carbide blade.  I use thatso seldom, I don't forsee a need for replacement.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I have Thurston Blades but for several years now I have used these Chinese slitting saw blades. They work fine and are cheap enough to throw away when blunt. I have to say however that I can rip a lot of planks without them becoming dull. They are on the Amazon UK web site and hopefully will also be available in Canada. They need a 12.7mm - 22mm arbour. A reasonable range of thicknesses and teeth numbers are available.944360102_Screenshot2019-12-30at22_02_05.thumb.png.ea58421898554d6d79b5d31558928bc2.png

536649116_Screenshot2019-12-30at22_07_10.png.f1110b5e168d16875a2bd1474adccd42.png

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846