The Sea of Galilee Boat by Cap'n Rat Fink (mario) - FINISHED - 1/24 shell-method

Hello Mario,

Just WOW! I like the shape of the cutwater, it fits the boat.

Beautiful work.

I thought you said you were going on vacation. But you are still here building. Not that I mind, I love seeing the updates.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Looking great Mario!  Your decking looks nice and clean without the waterways and trim and the cutwater also turned out really well.

I'm very curious to see how the pre-bent cap rails turn out for you.  They are tricky to bend since they must bend along the "wrong axis" and that is why I pre-bend them for you.  They are put into a jig here in Wisconsin where the humidity is probably a bit higher than where you are and when I build a model, they go on the day after they are bent but you will be waiting several weeks since the initial bend...

Scott

Thanks Anja,

On vacation now. getting ready to leave. As for the cutwater, i;m glad it's on. It gettings confusing as to which end is what on this boat. HAHAHA!

Thanks John it sure did turn out kind of nice. The unique shape of the hull and then adding the decks really made it look really nice.

Thanks Scott when I get back from vacation i will show you my results of the caprails. they turned out nice..

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

oh Mario,

this is such a great looking and unique model, you have done an amazing job on it.  Are you going to do a build log on the larger scale model of this vessel that you build next?

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Great wood working.  Did I miss something, why remove the stern planking?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Nice work Mario.  Now what this about you have pictures of the caprails but we have to wait???????  :D  :D

Have great time on vacation, my friend.  You deserve it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks John,

As for the 2nd hull I thinking of maybe just adding it on to this thread as to how i construct the hull only and then add a finish photo with both boats.

Hi Bob sorry you missed nothing. I outlined the picture you are talking about, but I used very thin outlines. Next time they will be thicker. i was refering to removing the stern piece abive the sheer strake

Hi Kieth and Thanks. Funny even with the cutwater I'm still second guessing myself. HAHA!

Hey Mark what a week??? Just 7 days. :P

Well we are packed and ready for vacation. But first we are leaving in just a few minutes to one of our nieces College graduation. Then in the morning we are off to my mom n dads to wish my 83 yr young DAD a Happy Father's Day. Then we are off on the road to vacation

God has bless me to have my parents around for a long time.

:D SO TO ALL THE FATHERS OF THE WORLD A VERY "HAPPY FATHER'S(DAD'S) DAY" TO YOU ALL na see you all soon :D

post-1053-0-06412600-1371346595.gif

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

• 2 weeks later...

Well just about done with my vacation, busy checking emails and other things so i thought i would update my log here....
1372447700_1925_FT12095_jb154_.jpg

1372447700_1925_FT12095_jb155_.jpg

1372447700_1925_FT12095_jb156_.jpg

1372447700_1925_FT12095_jb157_.jpg

1372447700_1925_FT12095_jb158.jpg
1372447700_1925_FT12095_jb159.jpg
1372447701_1925_FT12095_jb160_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

and a few more photos.... yahoo_flag.gifyahoo_big_grin.gif
1372447993_1925_FT12095_jb161_.jpg

1372447993_1925_FT12095_jb162.jpg
1372447993_1925_FT12095_jb163_.jpg

1372447993_1925_FT12095_jb164_.jpg

1372447993_1925_FT12095_jb165_.jpg

1372447993_1925_FT12095_jb166_.jpg

1372447994_1925_FT12095_jb167_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

and a few more photos........questions and remarks are very much welcomed.... yahoo_big_grin.gif
1372448223_1925_FT12095_jb168_.jpg

1372448224_1925_FT12095_jb169_.jpg

1372448224_1925_FT12095_jb170_.jpg

1372448224_1925_FT12095_jb171_.jpg

1372448224_1925_FT12095_jb172_.jpg

1372448224_1925_FT12095_jb173_.jpg

1372448224_1925_FT12095_jb174_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hello Mario,

Great, you are back! I hope you had a wonderful vacation.

Wow, she looks great! You're doing an excellent job here my friend.

I really love the color of the wood. What did you use for the finish?

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Looking great, the microwave trick is a great one to use!

BTW if anyone is interested in buying this kit, I will be ending the special pricing discount for MSW members on July 4, 2013. So if you are interested in purchasing one of these kits at $70 plus shipping please order by that date to receive the $10 discount! Click the link below to learn how to order.

Edited by scottacus

Hi Mario,

Hope you had a great vacation, glad you are back, I was getting antsy for the next installment on this build. :)

I just love the looks of this boat,  I ordered a kit for myself from Scott yesterday:)

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Nice work, Mario.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks Anja,

i used shellac straight out of the can to give it that darker color. i used dull coat  to dame down the slight shine it gives it. The model is completed just working on the display case. This one is going to our church and the second one will be mine to display in our home.

As always thanks Scott.

Good for you John, just remember have 2 models going at once. Because you will need a brake from constructing the hull, it is a challenge but you will do it.

Thanks Bob your malabar is shaping up I see

Thank you Keith, you know I am still getting confused with the frontend of this boat too.  LOL!

Thank You very much Wayne

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Mario, it's great looking no matter what end you're looking at!! :)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thank you Frank! It's funny how i keep thinking the stern is the bow. I just keep laughing about it.... :P 

Time for another update. I did have a lot of fun building this little boat...

1372636588_1925_FT12095_jb175_.jpg

The reason for no floor planks is because the book only mentioned them at the end of the book. Which i thought very strange. If you ever read the book the author gets very detailed throughout the recovery process and what they discovered during the process. These ceiling planks as they are known by just were never mentioned. Per the book if there was any ceiling planks they would be few and placed most likely a little forward of amidships. I will add them to the second model...

1372636588_1925_FT12095_jb176.jpg
Another tidbit...
It was assumed the the buyer of the boat was well off enough to buy an old boat and rebuilt by the boatwright. But at that time inland of Galilee was so wood starve the boatwright had to use what ever wood he had on had. Thus the boat was constructed of 16 different woods. Plus the nails used were not long enough to be clenched so they were just hammered in. most likely because the new owner could not afford more iron for the longer nails need to clench. This is also why they figured the boatwright was a master craftsman because he built a very good seaworth boat with what he had on hand.

1372636588_1925_FT12095_jb177_.jpg

1372636588_1925_FT12095_jb178_.jpg

1372636588_1925_FT12095_jb179_.jpg

1372636589_1925_FT12095_jb180_.jpg

another tidbit....
In Scott's beautiful boat model you have all seen at the beginning of my thread you see the quarter rudders. Mine on my model will have a small bit of rigging on them. The rigging for sure is to secure the rudders, but they were also used to help assist the steersman with the handling of the ruuders during rough seas...I found this out during my research oh sometime last year. Now you know how long it took me to get ready to build this boat...HAHA! man a little slow... 

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

yahoo_big_grin.gifyahoo_flag.gifyahoo_flag.gif
1372638091_1925_FT12095_jb183_.jpg

1372638091_1925_FT12095_jb184_.jpg

1372638091_1925_FT12095_jb185.jpg
1372638091_1925_FT12095_jb186_.jpg

1372638092_1925_FT12095_jb187_.jpg

1372638092_1925_FT12095_jb188_.jpg

1372638092_1925_FT12095_jb189_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

THANK YOU FOR LOOKING IN ON MY BUILD THREAD MY FRIENDS.... yahoo_big_grin.gif

1372638416_1925_FT12095_jb190_.jpg

1372638417_1925_FT12095_jb192_.jpg

with six pins instead of 4 pins I have decided to do a more detail rigging of the braid rigging style they used in these boats at that time. What I have learned there are many variations of braided rigging. i just had to be careful of which one i would choose. I found some rigging style for a braid as old as 1500bc for these small boats. Which I could not use since this boat was around 40bc to 50ad....But i did find several rigging styles for this era. i will be rigging both of my models differently.

1372638417_1925_FT12095_jb193_.jpg

the new display stand.....

1372638417_1925_FT12095_jb194_.jpg

The more detailed rigging i will add required me to add fairleads for the braids...
so i had to aline the fairleads with the seams of the sail...

1372638417_1925_FT12095_jb195_.jpg

1372638417_1925_FT12095_jb196_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Good to see you escaped from vacation, Mario.. :D  :D :D  :D  

Looking super nice.  I guess now we can tell that the stern is where the rudders are? ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work Mario!

I've built four of these thus far but I wasn't sure I had explained the process that I use to build these is such a way that someone else could replicate the model.  I couldn't have gotten a better "Beta tester"!  I look forward to seeing your rigging and other changes to the model.

One more reminder to anyone else who would like to build one of these, the price discount for MSW members ($70 plus shipping) will expire on the 4th of July.  I make less than minimum wage on one of these kits at that price...

Mario,

That's a fine boat you have there, my friend.  can't wait to see it rigged. 

Bob

Hey Mark,

You think it would. Well when I placed the boat on the display stand I put backwards again. LOL! :huh:  :)

Scott I gotta tell ya. I am just having a whole lot of fun with your kit here. The quality of the wood is just great!

Anja, John, and Bob THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

This style of rigging had so many variations it just made the researching a whole lot of fun and very interesting. Speaking of researching my loved this boat so much with it's ancient style she has made a request of me to build a Viking Ship!

Here we go with more photos!

yahoo_big_grin.gif
1372732275_1925_FT12095_jb197_.jpg

Braid rig boat come in many variations. I decided on one which will incorporate bee blocks at the top of the mast to support the stays and shrouds. I used a larger scale rope to give them a better look. At the tie off points these boats used half hitches or seized. I decided on half hitches. But I seized the lines at the bee blocks with other variations using eye splices....

1372732275_1925_FT12095_jb198_.jpg

I think they are called hanks but not sure. These are needs because the braid style I decided on has me eyesplicing one end to the yard. Then the line will feed though the hank at the sheet then up and through the fairlead. Then finsihed off by being secured to a rigging pin on the gunwale....

1372732275_1925_FT12095_jb199_.jpg

1372732275_1925_FT12095_jb200_.jpg

1372732276_1925_FT12095_jb201_.jpg

1372732276_1925_FT12095_jb202_.jpg

1372732276_1925_FT12095_jb203_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....