The Sea of Galilee Boat by Cap'n Rat Fink (mario) - FINISHED - 1/24 shell-method

Nice to see another build, I can bounce n share idea's with. Similar method, but I'm planning to have frames on the mold or strongback, with additional added after removal.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Hi Ken,

I have been watching your log also. After I build the 2nd boat, I am considering a lager scale at 1/10 so i can give the mortice n tendon building feather a try. At 1/24 i think its just a bit too small to hassle with....But it was kinda of neat after i finished off this hull. You would think with no frames at all it would colapse, but it di not. Though you have to add a scrape piece at midships before you remove the hull because it does tend to pull inwards after removed from the strong back........

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

here ios a small update on my Ancient workboat...... :piratebo5: 

1369967080_1925_FT12095_img_0054_.jpg

1369967080_1925_FT12095_img_0055_.jpg

1369967080_1925_FT12095_img_0057_.jpg

1369967080_1925_FT12095_img_0058_.jpg

1369967080_1925_FT12095_img_0059_.jpg

1369967080_1925_FT12095_img_0060_.jpg

1369967080_1925_FT12095_img_0061_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

yahoo_big_grin.gifAll questions and remarks are welcomed....

1369967739_1925_FT12095_img_0063_.jpg

1369967739_1925_FT12095_img_0064_.jpg

1369967740_1925_FT12095_img_0065_.jpg

1369967740_1925_FT12095_img_0066_.jpg

1369967740_1925_FT12095_img_0067_.jpg

1369967740_1925_FT12095_img_0069_.jpg

1369967740_1925_FT12095_img_0070_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Luxury  :D.

There is a lot of fitting and beveling that needs to be done on the kit and Mario is doing a really good job!  I pre-tapered the planks because I wanted to make sure that whoever builds this kit has the best shot at getting it right the first time.  I bet that Mario will explain the importance of the taper a little later (stay tuned...) 

Scott

http://www.scottsguitars.net/sea-of-galilee-boats/

Hi John and Scott,

That was one of the reasons to tryout this kit from Scott. Building the hull from the sheer on up, using CA only, pre-tapered planks, plus going the ancient way of strakes first and frames afterwards. Like Scott said John he was trying to make the construction of the hull as easy as possible for a modeler. Tapering for him was no big deal because he's in the same club as you. You know you guys and your Brynes Table Saws. :( 

But here is a clearer explanation of the tapering of the planks that Scott had explained in his praticum....

Planks Three Through Six Or Seven

The Rest of the planks for the hull have been taper cut for you. The Tapered end goes toward the stern and I Put the tapered edge up (as You look at the hull on the strong back). This Will allow the planks to “rise” Toward the stern and will make it easier to place planks 7--‐12 Which must not only curve lengthwise, but also form the turn of the hull where the hull goes from being perpendicular to the water to being parallel to the water.

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

AND MORE PHOTOS
1370148347_1925_FT12095_img_0072_.jpg

1370148347_1925_FT12095_img_0073_.jpg

1370148347_1925_FT12095_img_0074_.jpg

1370148347_1925_FT12095_img_0075.jpg
1370148347_1925_FT12095_img_0076_.jpg

1370148348_1925_FT12095_img_0077.jpg
1370148348_1925_FT12095_img_0078.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

I FOUND THAT THE PLANKS COVERING THE FRAMES 1 AND 2 THE MOST DEMANDING AT THE STERN AREA. TO MAKE THEM FIT PROPER I HAD TO BEVEL THE PLANK ALREADY PLACED AND THE NEXT PLANK IN LINE...

yahoo_flag.gif QUESTIONS AND REMARKS ARE VERY WELCOMED yahoo_flag.gif

1370148916_1925_FT12095_img_0079_.jpg

1370148916_1925_FT12095_img_0080_.jpg

1370148917_1925_FT12095_img_0081.jpg
1370148917_1925_FT12095_img_0084_.jpg

1370148917_1925_FT12095_img_0085.jpg
1370148917_1925_FT12095_img_0086_.jpg

1370148917_1925_FT12095_img_0087_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Nice going, Mario.   Planking looks really sharp.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You're doing a fine job with the planking!  This is what makes this kit something that is best suited for intermediate to advanced modelers.  There is nothing to hold the hull together but the joints that you establish between the planks so they must be done right.  It is fine to have some small areas that need attention after the hull is off of the strongback but for the most part the joints must be just right.

Scott

Hi Mark, John, and Scott,

Thanks for your kind remarks guys appreciate it very much..... :D 

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Nice work so far!   The planking seems to be coming along nicely - nice and tidy too!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Your moving fast, your hull is going to be complete before I even get my lumber ordered.

I'm undecided whether to use PVA or CA on the planking. I won't be able to easily clean-up excess PVA on the interior, but CA doesn't allow for minor adjustments when bonding the plank in place.

I'm also confused by the tapering of the planks at one end only? Shouldn't they be full width in the center and tapered at the bow and stern to req'd widths for number of strakes?

I was planning on full width sheer planks and garboard tapered to fit without bow/stern rise and then developing a plank tapering for the remaining 10 planks to fit in the space evenly.

Sorry for so many questions, but I have limited experience and have only planked one hull "the AVS" in the past.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Hi Guys Thanks for stopping by....

I have been working long hours so i have not been able to reply as quick as i usually do....

Now to answer your questions Ken....

Your moving fast, your hull is going to be complete before I even get my lumber ordered.

I'm undecided whether to use PVA or CA on the planking. I won't be able to easily clean-up excess PVA on the interior, but CA doesn't allow for minor adjustments when bonding the plank in place.

I was under the same impression Ken when I got started. What worked for me is using CA thick which allowed me about 30 seconds before it really started to take hold. But I spaced little drops of Thick along the plank. Once dry I wicked in the rest of the plank with thin CA.

I'm also confused by the tapering of the planks at one end only? Shouldn't they be full width in the center and tapered at the bow and stern to req'd widths for number of strakes?

Ken I am building a kit of this boat. But i also asked this question to Scott who developed this kit.....here is his answer...........

"If you make the planks a little wider (less taper) at the stern it will make the hull harder to make. I tried this on my second hull and what happens is that you still have to make that hard transition at frames 1 & 2 (circled on your photo) but you also have to bend the planks more severely into a "C" shape at the stern (flat axis of the plank not the narrow profile). If you use the taper, the planks can be more straight (less curved) at the stern. The "C" shape is hard to do because you have to try to force the plank to bend into this shape along the wide axis of the plank and to make matters worse the bend has to occur over the last 1 1/2 inches of the plank. Sadly, I have not found a better solution to this than what you did and that is what makes this hull for advanced to intermediate builders so pat yourself on the back for making this work!"

I was planning on full width sheer planks and garboard tapered to fit without bow/stern rise and then developing a plank tapering for the remaining 10 planks to fit in the space evenly.

Sorry for so many questions, but I have limited experience and have only planked one hull "the AVS" in the past.

Ken I am building a second boat. I have been studying and making my own decisions on how to go about it.  I am going to go with How I perceive the hull to be built, by examining the photos, diagrams, and literature from the book. Ken I will put a more detailed explanation on how i will be doing this second hull hopefully this weekend on my thread here. I will also be giving my opinion of my decisions on doing the next hull this way.....But like you I do believe a garboard and sheer plank can both be placed on the hull. Scott pointed out how the most difficult part of the hull is how at the sides of the hull nearest the stern go from perpenticular to the water to horizontal to the water. I agree totally with Scott on this one.

Ken I will only be building the hull different from Scott's hull, but the rest of the build will pretty much follow his kit, with some little changes. As Scott pointed out, and  I agree with this also is the fresh water  eroded away all the exposed wood so you go to the bible and other information from the boat discovered in the Mederranean to build that portion of the hull which there is nothing really to go by. So it's will be my perseption from there on up to the sheer. So talk to you this weekend.............

Ken

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Have a little time to update my log. Been very busy with work and before I get emergngy called out again I thought I would add some photos while I have some free time....

1370701696_1925_FT12095_img_0088_.jpg

1370701697_1925_FT12095_img_0089_.jpg

1370701697_1925_FT12095_img_0090.jpg
1370701697_1925_FT12095_img_0091.jpg
1370701697_1925_FT12095_img_0092.jpg
1370701697_1925_FT12095_img_0093.jpg
1370701697_1925_FT12095_img_0094.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

yahoo_flag.gif Questions and remarks are very much Welcomed yahoo_flag.gif

1370701921_1925_FT12095_img_0095.jpg
1370701921_1925_FT12095_img_0096.jpg
1370701921_1925_FT12095_img_0097_.jpg
NOTE THE PLASTIC CLAMP. IT WAS USED FOR THE PICTURE ONLY. THESE CLAMPS WILL NOT BE STRONG ENOUGH TO HOLD PLANKS IN POSITION AT THIS POINT IN THE BUILDING PROCESS...

1370701923_1925_FT12095_img_0098_.jpg

1370701923_1925_FT12095_img_0099.jpg
1370701923_1925_FT12095_img_0100_.jpg

1370701923_1925_FT12095_img_0101_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Well here I am again, late to the party, but glad I made it.

Good job on a difficult planking job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks Bob and also for stopping by.... :D 

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Great job Mario, good idea with the Velcro straps, those bends look intimidating :o

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mario,

I was going to ask what John asked.. if not steaming are you at least soaking them?  And a great reminder about safety glasses. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Sjors, Frank, John, and Mark,

First of all it sure is nice to have a quiet weekend so far and able to stay home.

Next (I'm Bad). I just notice my remarks on my photos. When I remarked the planks drying in place I meant I soaked them all night  then placed them and let them dry in place. Once dry I slowly fitting them, and then I glued them in place. Even with that they were still hard to get them in place. This by far is the most difficult hull I have ever faced. Those frames 1 n 2 on the strong back are a bear to deal with. :o

I have been doing some research and checking out other ancient boats and disecting "THE SEA OF GALILEE BOAT" book. I noticed some interesting things about how it was put together. So the 2nd hull in my second model will be more to what i have found from my research. I might do a Popeye and show the second hull on the same thread. If all works out I will start the 2nd hull when I return from vacation... ;)  

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

and here are more pictures of the hull completely planked. It's also best when hull is completed so all the sanding you can before cutting it loose from the strong back....

1370748814_1925_FT12095_img_0102_.jpg

1370748814_1925_FT12095_img_0103_.jpg

1370748814_1925_FT12095_img_0104_.jpg

1370748814_1925_FT12095_img_0105_.jpg

1370748814_1925_FT12095_img_0106_.jpg

1370748815_1925_FT12095_img_0107_.jpg

1370748815_1925_FT12095_img_0108_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

yahoo_flag.gif QUESTIONS AND REMARKS ARE VERY MUCH WELCOMED yahoo_flag.gif
1370749277_1925_FT12095_img_0109.jpg
1370749278_1925_FT12095_img_0111.jpg
1370749278_1925_FT12095_img_0112_.jpg

1370749278_1925_FT12095_img_0114_.jpg

1370749278_1925_FT12095_img_0115_.jpg

1370749278_1925_FT12095_img_0116_.jpg

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT, THE COMPLETED HULL OFF THE STRONG BACK..."THIS ONE TESTED MY PATIENCE" yahoo_at_wits_end.gif

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Mario,

It may have tested your patience but you won.  Great job on the planking!!!!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: