The Sea of Galilee Boat by Cap'n Rat Fink (mario) - FINISHED - 1/24 shell-method

I really had a lot of fun researching this type of rigging style!!!

yahoo_big_grin.gifyahoo_flag.gifyahoo_flag.gif
1372733504_1925_FT12095_jb204_.jpg

1372733504_1925_FT12095_jb205_.jpg

1372733504_1925_FT12095_jb206_.jpg

1372733504_1925_FT12095_jb207_.jpg

1372733504_1925_FT12095_jb208_.jpg

Again another portion of this style of rigging with different variations. I decided on a simple drilled hole through the hull to secure the shrouds. But some of the these boats would secure the shrouds either to the inwales and eyespliced or tied off, another was tied off on the thwart, yet another style was with deadeyes. the last one being if this new owner could afford such an upgrade.

1372733504_1925_FT12095_jb209.jpg
1372733505_1925_FT12095_jb210_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Thank You all for visiting my build log!!! More later! yahoo_big_grin.gif

1372734186_1925_FT12095_jb211_.jpg

1372734187_1925_FT12095_jb212_.jpg

As the lines dry another style of braid riggin line is they would splice the two lines together and then haull them up. This variation as you see I'm using is two separate lines. I will use the other variation on my second boat...

1372734187_1925_FT12095_jb213_.jpg

I love how Scott's Kit just POP's with the more detailed rigging on it...

1372734187_1925_FT12095_jb214_.jpg

1372734187_1925_FT12095_jb215_.jpg

1372734187_1925_FT12095_jb216_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

Beautiful sail.  I use some of those tricks.  And the rigging is awesome.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Fantastic!! What a beautiful job on the sail and rigging!

All I need to know is when are we going fishing cause she certainly looks seaworthy? :)

Eddie

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde</strong></span></p><br />

<p> </p><br />

<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752</a>'><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Current Build - Elsie</strong></span></a>

Hi John,

As for research i used info from ancient boats durning Ramses III era which is about 1500 bc, just a little toooooo old but i started from there and finally found more info around 100bc to 80ad. All was found in the www.

Anja, Bob, and Eddie,

Thank you ver much!

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

thanks Mario, glad the info you found was on the net, I was afraid I was going to be saving up for some expensive books. :)

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

yahoo_flag.gif Here are the final photos of the build thread yahoo_flag.gif

1372903019_1925_FT12095_jb217_.jpg

1372903019_1925_FT12095_jb218.jpg
1372903019_1925_FT12095_jb219_.jpg

1372903019_1925_FT12095_jb220.jpg
1372903019_1925_FT12095_jb221_.jpg

1372903020_1925_FT12095_jb222.jpg
1372903020_1925_FT12095_jb223.jpg 

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

yahoo_flag.gifyahoo_flag.gifyahoo_flag.gif

1372903290_1925_FT12095_jb224_.jpg

1372903290_1925_FT12095_jb225_.jpg

1372903290_1925_FT12095_jb226_.jpg

1372903290_1925_FT12095_jb227_.jpg

1372903290_1925_FT12095_jb228_.jpg

1372903291_1925_FT12095_jb229_.jpg

1372903291_1925_FT12095_jb230_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

yahoo_flag.gifyahoo_big_grin.gif THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WATCHING MY BUILD LOG OF THE BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BOAT yahoo_big_grin.gifyahoo_flag.gif

SCOTT'S KIT OF "THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT" better known as "THE JESUS BOAT" is just a great little kit with a great practicum to go along with some very nice quality material to build her with!

1372903710_1925_FT12095_jb231_.jpg

1372903710_1925_FT12095_jb232_.jpg

1372903711_1925_FT12095_jb233_.jpg

1372903711_1925_FT12095_jb234_.jpg

1372903711_1925_FT12095_jb235_.jpg

1372903711_1925_FT12095_jb236_.jpg

1372903711_1925_FT12095_jb237_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

I really enjoyed looking through your build!

Are you sure you have that thing pointed in the right direction?? :)  :P  :D

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Congratulations Mario, this is such an interesting boat and came out so great!

It's really been fun and exciting to follow along!

John

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

Mario,

Beautiful.  You must have had lots of fun building her.  :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Mario,

I blink and you're finished... and fantastically so.  Looks wonderful with all the bits you've added.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for your kind word :cheers: s my friends and your encouragement!!!

post-1053-0-45672600-1373513743_thumb.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

I don't know where I've been for these last few months or so but I just found your build... just in time it seems. That's okay tho since I get to go from start to finish in one sitting. Well done Mario! Beautiful! I like the little touches, the net and basket and especially the anchor. Love that anchor for some reason :) It's so... perfectly fitting. :D

Thank You Randy n Anja

Thanks Scott for letting me try your wonderful boat kit. it really was a lot of fun and a really good challenge with that hull!

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hi Dave,

The challenge is the hull. Scott developed the kit for intermediate to expert modelers because of the hull. The most difficult part of the hull construction is where the side of the hull go from perpendicular to horizontal to the water. The material is American mahogany. If you have not planked a hull as of yet, you might consider a easier hull to build. But if you have w/w wood before then it might be right up your alley.

One thing that made it easy to bend that plank at the turn of the bilge is I soaked it and then microwaved it for 30 seconds witch made it pretty easy to w/w it.  But you have to answer that Dave.

Here is the site for you. Scott is a great guy..........

http://www.scottsguitars.net/sea-of-galilee-boats/

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hi Dave,

The hull is somewhat tricky to build, especially at the turn of the hull.  If you are interested in building one of these and aren't sure yo have enough experience, I suggest buying one of Midwest's inexpensive canoe kits like the Peterboro canoe.  It has a pointed bow and stern which makes for a much easier hull.  These canoes use the same building technique and are great little models.  Check out this post for more info http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2530-another-wedding-another-canoe

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well I have been working so much, but finally had a little time to get back to my little boat. Well the display case is almost done. All that is left is to cut the plexi-glass, sand finish the edges and weld them together.

I did away with Scott's display base for the simple reason is that my little boat will be donated to our church parish. So I thought it would be a lot safer to put it under glass and secured to the base. I also put a brief story behind the great discovery of the boat, so when it is displayed all can read about and not just see the boat. I also will be making my own basswood name plate located at the right lower corner of the base....

IT READS...............

An Extraordinary 2000

Year Old Discovery…

The Sea of Galilee Boat also known as the "Jesus Boat" was an ancient fishing boat from the 1st century the time of Jesus Christ. discovered in 1986 on the north-west shore of the Sea of Galilee in Israel. The remains of the boat, first appeared during a drought, when the waters of the Sea actually a great fresh-water lake receded.

The remains of the boat were found by brothers Moshe and Yuval Lufan, fishermen from Kibbutz Ginnosar. The brothers were keen amateur archaeologists with an interest in discovering artifacts from Israel's past. It had always been their hope to one day discover a boat in the Sea of Galilee, where they and generations of their family had fished. When drought reduced the water-level of the lake, the two brothers examined the newly exposed beach and stumbled across the remains of the boat buried in the shore.

The Sea of Galilee Boat is historically important to Jews as an example of the type of boat used by their ancestors in the 1st century for both fishing and transportation across the lake. Previously only references made by Roman authors, the Bible and mosaics had provided archeologists insight into the construction of these types of vessels. The boat is also important to Christians because this was the sort of boat used by Jesus and his disciples, several of whom were fishermen. Boats such as this played a large role in Jesus' life and ministry, and are mentioned 50 times in the Gospels, though there is no evidence connecting the Sea of Galilee Boat itself to Jesus or his disciples.

The archeological discovery of this boat had validated certain questions that we had about this vessel. Prior to the discovery of this boat, all we knew about them came from art work on few pottery shards and a few brief mentions of them in ancient writings.
In the new testament there is a story about Jesus crossing the Sea of Galilee in one of the boats during a great storm. This storm was so bad that it frightened the disciples, many of whom were veteran fishermen of this body of water. The story says that Jesus was asleep in the boat with his head on a pillow. Prior to the discovery of this boat this story seemed to not ring true for two reasons. The first of which is "how could anyone sleep through a storm in an open boat?" We are surprised to find that these boats were not open but had two decks which now makes it possible for someone to be shielded from the storm by being under one of them.
The second question still remains, "why a fishing boat full of scales, nets and baskets would have pillows in it?" After all this was a working vessel, not a royal yacht. It turns out that the ballast bags that were used for setting the trim of the boat are still commonly referred to as "pillows" to this day. So now we can see that Jesus was asleep, shielded from the storm by the aft deck with his head resting on ballast bags! Once again archeological evidence gives new witness to the fact that these ancient writings are valid.

post-1053-0-19469800-1374981106_thumb.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Wow, the model looks great on that base and the framed story of the boat with it. 

perfect Mario!

John

Nice touch on the framed story, Mario.  It helps to bring the model to life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice, Mario.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm sure the church will appreciate it.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, Mark, and Bob,

Sorry for the late reply. Been working too much. But thank you very much for your kind words.... I hope to finish the case this week. Just trying to find the free time to do it...

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....