Agilis by jct - FINISHED - Steingraeber - 1:60 scale - slave ship

Story of ALL my builds!:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

it's all in experimentation and fabrication........sometimes the first try doesn't work.   so you do it all again ;)   I've had mine as well.   your leaving me in the dust just like you did with the half moon....still haven't masted her yet.   your doing a fine job with this one,  considering that the kit isn't very 'exact'.  I'm finding out more as I work on the second hull frame.......I'm having to reshape two of the mid ship bulkheads.  it's sad when one hull is cloned from the original parts......and that frame is assembled better than the one using the original parts!  feel good that your hull came out as well as it did........I wonder if the fellow who built that other one ran into the same problems?

with your speed..........when I finally finish mine,  you'll be either fishing,  or just getting back from your road trips ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to hit the like button...got the rail cap made, mounted and painted out, the paper pattern was layed out on some thicker basswood stock, took 9 pieces scarfed together to make the whole capIMG_0409.JPG.7873ed6fef6288944ccfbf6e4f36f1c4.JPGIMG_0407.JPG.268e12214112cf47ff705b36177af83a.JPGIMG_0408.JPG.4033b6981b1c6e7e364bca6700cb086b.JPG

each piece was cut to fit against both its neighbors to get the joints nice and tight 

IMG_0412.JPG.8b4e099eb3936637ba61ce580030f300.JPGIMG_0413.JPG.774007730e567c7084675394826ccd42.JPGIMG_0411.JPG.55e89b1557c53e918d6bab8a74f420e8.JPG

and then painted out...

IMG_0414.JPG.fd47c53346c9e8ffb1ae5b66b4ed5ed2.JPGIMG_0415.JPG.7c2f7ab500178ad423a938df481a73fe.JPG

considering repainted the cap in the dark green...think it may tie the main hul and the deck furniture together a little better?   

IMG_0410.JPG

look'in good J.......well done with the caps :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

guilty as charged.......but it was in J's signature  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

4 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

....but it was in J's signature  ;) 

well, that's true, ok so it is my fault

partners in crime  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it would take the apocalypse for Wal Mart to shut down.   sorry to hear Sam....I hope your set to weather the storm.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well then...........now that you have some free time,  start another project!   hey........if others can hoard TP,  you can hoard table time!  :D   jes' say'in!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

either that or start grow'in a lot of large leafed plants ;)   no saw grass please!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm planning on installing one of these 

tp.jpg.7da4fcbaf56d30bf279d1b4fd58a3e30.jpg

Now that we've solved that particulier crisis on with the build...still working on little odds and ends.  I'm still planning to use as much of the kit stuff as possible and that includes the cast metal rigging blocks. 

I have no idea what these are made of and nothing I have in my chemical arsenal would blacken them, so I resorted to paint...mixed a very dark brown acrylic and painted them.  Once dried they were shot with a couple coats of matt clear.IMG_0418.JPG.f26512388302a875347fed197c9bac66.JPG

Then I turned to the mast tops, new ones were made from the paper patterns, I just glued up some planking stock with cross braces underneath

IMG_0419.JPG.2d1390a4c3b47ef85c1771e7f21d7546.JPG

then cut and drilled the appropriate holes in them

IMG_0420.JPG.d47eb1f9d4658d014d21c6bc979328ef.JPG

test fit of the fore mast top

IMG_0421.JPG.73dc3c0fce3a6e769cbf914d8d311227.JPG

and that's all for today...thanks to all who've taken the time to hit the like button or comment

Edited by jct

LMAO!   man....that would be like sandpaper....what RPM do you plan on runn'in it?!?!?!  whatever you do....don't hook it to your dremel! :omg:

do you need blocks??????  don't use those!  what size.....I'll send ya some.  I'm going to try and fit pulleys in the ones I have.......might work well for power blocks.  really .....if you need some.   the tops are another thing I would change,  as I've never seen tops like that on any ship.   the one shown on the left would be the better choice,  if you were going to use them.  I hope someone can correct me,  but if you are going to do a schooner rig,  there are no tops.......just the trestle trees and perhaps a cross tree.  in some cases,  the cross tree will serve as a spreader for the back stays.  what information are you working from?      

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

14 hours ago, src said:

That TP solution looks , um... uncomfortable.

8 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

LMAO!   man....that would be like sandpaper....what RPM do you plan on runn'in it?!?!?!  whatever you do....don't hook it to your dremel! :omg:

8 hours ago, Fright said:

All I can say on your TP issue is, "Holy Crap Monkies" !!!!!

All this may be true...but just think how springtime fresh you would be!!

8 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I hope someone can correct me,  but if you are going to do a schooner rig,  there are no tops.......just the trestle trees and perhaps a cross tree.  in some cases,  the cross tree will serve as a spreader for the back stays.  what information are you working from?      

Of that I was unaware, but it makes sense...at this point I'm still replicating the kit parts that are unusable.  My plan is to use the American schooner plan layed out in Rigging Period Fore and Aft Craft .   Why don't you like the metal blocks?