C&L Barge No. 1 by Canute - Sheepscot Scale Products - 1/87 scale

Here's another work barge, although this one had multiple uses. It was moved by tug and could be used as a lifting crane or pile driver. These usually weren't railroad owned; several contractors would have a number of these barges. I picked this up a number of years ago, but it was buried under whatever other accumulated stuff I'd collected over the years.  I put the instructions into a binder to prevent any further losses. I did have to gather up a good collection of stripwood, since some of the kit stuff went over the hills and far away.

76343381_Kitbrass.thumb.jpg.b75209434f3c7bec5edfde5aeb0fb496.jpg

The kit brass held up pretty well, seems to have minimal corrosion. The kit dates from 1986.

1021093134_kithullformer.thumb.jpg.5b6c5353053ea788c8f4b73cfafa927e.jpg

The barge hull is a plywood former, to which I will be applying HO scale 2 x 6 inch planks. The following is is the rest of what comes in the box.

147338326_castmetalparts.thumb.jpg.b8b3b833fa681ed41b360646e189d074.jpg1841921952_Coaltirestankformers.thumb.jpg.6662677ebdacb84fb758d4f0522a6a89.jpg605233755_Brassandplastictubing.thumb.jpg.8d27579cc3c3546d7332ca2365442340.jpg

Instructions.jpg

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Started planking the hull sides, but ran into a bit of a quandary. I suspect the hull former, a piece of plywood, is pretty dried out due to it's age. I think my glue seeped into the wood too fast. I'm using an Aleene's extra tacky glue; this glue feels like working with the old Duco cement, without the odor. I applied the Aleene's glue, but by the time I could lay a strip down, the glue seemed dry. No stickiness. I had one suggestion for sealing the wood with glue and letting it dry. Expect it should work; it's what I do if gluing metals to wood with CA.

My plan is to glue the bottom planking around the hull and paint it anti fouling red. The rest of the planking will just be stained brownish black.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Looks like a decent set of parts to work with. Sealing up the wood should work. I'm looking forward to where you go with this... a lot of different possibilities for cargo!

Bob Cardone

On the bench:

Gunboat Philadelphia Model Shipways 1:24

CSS Palmetto State Verlinden 1:200 

Next up:

USN Picket Boat #1 Model Shipways 1:24

Completed:

F-4 Phantom Hasegawa 1:48

Smilodon Fatalis Unknown manufacturer and scale

Panzer IV 1:32 Unimax/ Forces of Valor prebuilt with mods, diorama

Member of the Nautical Research Guild         

Thanks, Bob. The deck will get cluttered with hose and some pilings, along with the fixed mast, lifting boom and pile driving mechanism.

The deck scow I'm also working on will end up with some kind of cargo, maybe some cement canisters and building materials. There are a number of items I can use.

Ken

Sorry I'm late to this Ken - looks like an interesting build  give me five while I pinch some of Marks popcorn.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Where has this build been hiding over the last few days? I am beginning to think that the  "All unread since last visit" button is not working right for me.:( Hope it keeps popping up so I can follow Ken. Looks like a potentially interesting build.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Where has this build been hiding over the last few days? I am beginning to think that the  "All unread since last visit" button is not working right for me.:( Hope it keeps popping up so I can follow Ken. Looks like a potentially interesting build.

It's with being in  the rafters, you can miss stuff😏

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks, guys. It's pretty new. More intricate than the deck scow I also have in work. That's a laser cut kit, with no rigging; this one is a box of sticks. Only stuff pre-cut is the PE and this kit's brass is thicker than the PE we work with nowadays. It'll be fun.

Ken

So it's almost a scratch build, Ken?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, it's pretty darn close, Mark. Maybe more like a kit-bash. The kit supplies sticks, tubing, wire, cordage and a handful of lead/pewter castings. Somewhere a lot of kit wood walked and I ended up acquiring a lot of replacement packs. 

Been pulling dimensions from the plans for the deck house. I'm gonna replace the provided wood sticks for the house siding with some Evergreen Novelty siding. Sometimes called ship-lap siding. The marine equipment of many of the NY harbor railroads used the stuff on their craft. Puzzling over the windows and doors. May replace the sticks with some plastic castings that actually look like windows and doors.

In this scale , I'm wondering if cutting the 2" x 6" planking into 24' lengths would be worth the effort; too small to see the difference

Ken