Made a mistake

Tony Dee

Hey all. I’m extremely new to this project and figured I’d start with the revenue cutter by blue jacket since it got great reviews here. I misunderstood the instructions when shaping the bow and really messed up to the point where I took too much wood off. I don’t want to get discouraged by this and don’t know how to fix it. Do you think I could just order the hull and try again?

Thanks for your assistance 

Tony

You can also glue on pieces of soft wood like basswood, then sand back to shape.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

23 minutes ago, Gregory said:

You can also glue on pieces of soft wood like basswood, then sand back to shape.

This is probably the most common approach, maybe even some filler here and there to finish.

Thanks all! I actually started to use bondo and got the bow in decent shape but then realized the middle was too far gone. I'm chalking this up to a learning experience and to use the plans as a guide. I ended up ordering a replacement hull. 

With this said, i'm going to use this hull as a practice piece to try some of your suggestions and learn. Not all a loss. I wasn't expecting perfection my first time out but this was a rather quick failure coming out of the shoot lol

Thanks again

Since I don’t know what sort of equipment you gave this may be totally out in left field but I’m offering it anyway.  

By far the easiest way to carve a ship model hull is to carve two half models, to be glued together after they have been shaped.  The benefit of this method is that each half has a flat datum to work from that can be laid on a flat surface when checking with templates.  The “precarved hulls” advertised by kit manufacturers are hard to shape because there is no obvious datum or reference point to measure from.

If you have access to a bandsaw, you might try slicing your sacrificial hull down the center and shaping each half individually.

Roger

On 4/12/2020 at 3:00 PM, Tony Dee said:

Hey all. I’m extremely new to this project and figured I’d start with the revenue cutter by blue jacket since it got great reviews here.

Tony, when you get your new hull you should most definitely start a build log. It's easy to do and you will be able to ask questions and get advice from some very experienced modelers here who are very willing to help you out. It doesn't take that much time and it will help you be successful in building a very nice model. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild