OLD TRAMP STEAMER REFURB

Hi

i'm brand new to the Forum from Scotland , also a novice at wood although have years of carpenter experience with most of the tools I need 

to make a reasonable go of it.

Currently started building the St Elme a french fishing boat which was given to me from an old relative ( mind you i'm not young myself at 71!!) 

Probably not the best model to begin with,as all the plans/ instructions are in french which is not a great start but have my trusty google translator 

so I'm muddling through. Got  great help from Downeaster who's done a blog on the St Elme. I hope to start my own blog soon on this one.

However the reason for this topic is I've also been given an old scratch built tramp steamer which i hope to do something with for the donor.

It is  33ins long 5 1/2ins beam kitted out with old radio valve equipment . There is no history at all for the model It could have been built in the 40's 50's

don't know.

Ive added some photos to show the shape and wonder if any members recognise it. 

Ive seen photos plans of a steamer called Melanie 2 which is similar although the stern deck looks a bit out of proportion and I would think of shortening it.

I would be grateful of any ideas ( nice ones please) 

Apologies to the moderators if this topic is in the wrong place.

Geo

P1040516.JPG

P1040517.JPG

P1040518.JPG

P1040519.JPG

P1040520.JPG

P1040521.JPG

Hi,  Welcome to MSW. I love tramp steamers. The model looks like it was very well built originally and seems to be still in relatively good shape from the pictures. You should really have an enjoyable journey bringing it back to its glory days. I know I would. Do you plan to try and keep her with vintage electronics or up to date equipment? 

Have you tried any of the reverse image search’s that can be done with your computer? It may just bring you closer to what you’re trying to find out.

Regardless, you’ll enjoy your time here. I does get addictive though. I hope there’s no cure.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thanks Kurt

Most of the mechanical servos /switches are are seized up, haven't tried the old motor yet don't even know what voltage/power it is

Will be installing new electrics.

more interested in getting the super structure right for the model. I know its not a true scale of anything but it needs to look reasonable.

Thanks for your interest.

Hello Geo, and a warm welcome to the forum.

That's a very interesting looking model you have there, and well worth restoring, in my opinion.  She may or may not be based on an actual ship, but the general style looks to me like a north European coaster from the 1950's period.  It might be worth looking for images of period coasters to get an idea of the general look of these vessels.

john

Hello, Geo.  Welcome to MSW.

When you're ready, open a build log in the Scratch area and use the keyword "RESTORATION" in the title.  This looks like a fascinating project.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome Geo

You have a very interesting model there. It should be very interesting in restoring.

I agree that it may not be an exact replica of an partictular ship but in almost all ways it looks like the old Lindburg "Q" Ship model to me.

U-Boat-hunting WW1 Freighter: Lindberg (Round-2) 1/390 'Q-Ship ...

Lindberg 1/390 Q-Ship, by George Oh

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017040-u-boat-hunting-ww1-freighter-lindberg-round-2-1390-q-ship/

Your model is of course larger and made from wood but the Lindburg kit design could make a very nice starting point of rdesign of the missing structures. 

Good luck

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hello Geo

Although I do own one of the old Lindburg Q Ship models, the Atholl Star build in the above post is not mine. The pitcures and link I posted is just stuff I found on the internet as an example of the model I was talking about. I don't think it is a well known model for the most part.

Another possible source would be the USS Atik. That would make the the model a copy of a real ship.

Carolyn underway in an undated image. (Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. Photograph, Atik (AK-101) Ship History File, History and Archives Division, Naval History and Heritage Command)

The Atik's sister ship was the USS Asterion (AK100) but there is even less documentation on her than the Atik.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs/a/asterion-ak-100-i.html

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Another possible source of information, (Or at least an interesting read)

https://www.amazon.com/Q-Ships-Versus-U-Boats-Americas-Project/dp/1557500444

There are several other books shown on the page as well.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey