A question concerning being a newbie, how long is one a newcomer,  I ask as I have been here just over a year and would consider myself still a newbie when I see how long some people have been members? 

There's no particular reason why I'm asking just curiosity 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

In this subject area and the people on these forums, I'd say the term newbie is something more people apply to themselves rather than another member applying it to another. This forum has proven to be a quite respectable, helpful, and kind group of people. I can't honestly say I've ever seen a scenario where someone was being insulted in any way. So I think we apply that term to ourselves when we don't feel confident in putting our work out there with what we would consider the intermediate, expert, master, or any category above newbie.

I feel like I am still a newbie in the terminology and history of ships and ship building. But I think I have a natural ability to make things rather well. So I don't feel like I'm necessarily a newbie when it comes to the act of building and modeling.

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

18 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

A question concerning being a newbie, how long is one a newcomer

It's all relative. As far as I'm concerned, once you're in, you're in.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

What Chris said.  And I'll add if a newbie is someone who's learning... we're all newbies because we never stop learning.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

yepper.....the fun never stops after the top starts spin'in.  but there are some that still tend to put a label on things:

when you solve your first problem on your own

when you finish your first model

when you draw first blood

when you plank your first hull

when you buy your first power tool..........you mean business!!!!

when you realize that filler is your friend

as is said,  it's all relative.......I tend to think that if you find that you like the hobby and decide to stick with it,  then you've hit your first milestone  ;)   welcome to the force! :ph34r:  may you have many years of relaxing frustration.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

relaxing frustration

What a wonderful way to describe modelling! These last few weeks I seem to spend more time on my knees looking for pieces on the floor than on my stool.