Hello from the Tampa Bay Area

B-Ram

Hello everyone,

I am happy and excited to be part of this great group. I have been in the modeling hobby for most of my life. I started back in the early 60's building airplane models and have only stopped modeling for a few years. I build a little bit of everything. I build mostly airplane and cars, but when I was younger I built quite a few ships. I remember building the PT-109 several times because I liked it so much. Over the last 20 years I have concentrated on building large scale scratch R/C airplanes. I'm looking forward to jumping into the deep end, but I will take my time. Once I hone my skills, I would love to build one of the very nice wooden ships. My wife always asks what I want for my birthday or Christmas, now I have ideas.

I just got a small ship, Revell U.S.S. Missouri 1:535, to start with. I think I should  have read the reviews before I got the kit. I'll just use this to get started and see how much detail I can build into it. 

Bill

Welcome to MSW, Bill.  We do have a few log in the Kit area of that ship.  Feel free to start one of your own.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's quite a ship, with a long and glorious history. Though you're obviously going to find it more complex than PT 109, it will by no means be impossible. Just follow the steps, all the parts are already made (at least I hope they are!) and it's a matter of putting it together and you'll have  a very impressive model. Read the build logs of others who've made this model - they will most likely give you ideas on how to progress with your build, and many of the problems you're likely to encounter may well have already been solved by others.

But also, start your own build log, with LOTS of pictures!

Depending on how seriously you want to get into it all, there are people on MSW who can give you advice on such things as the right colour scheme for the ship at the time you're portraying her, what equipment she might or might not have been carrying at the time . . . you name it. Or you can simply make her just as she's laid out in the kit. Your choice. Above all, have fun with it!

Hello everyone. Thanks for the great welcome.

I have been moving along with the Missouri build. This is my first ship build in over forty years, but I am having fun with the process. I would be happy to start a build thread if you guys think there would be any interest.

Bill

2 hours ago, B-Ram said:

I would be happy to start a build thread if you guys think there would be any interest.

There certainly would. Looking forward to seeing your log. As it's a kit of a ship from the 20th century, go to  Build logs for Ship Model Kits - by era - launch date and from there to 1901 - Present Day and then to Before you post your build log please read this - Starting and naming your build log. Follow the instructions, add appropriate tags so your log can be found easily (How to use and create TAGS ) and as it's your first build on MSW, include a tag to say so (members are extra helpful to new people).

And you're on your way!

Have fun with it.

Welcome to MSW, and good luck with the Missouri 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...