18th Century Long Boat by SkiBee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48

On 12/6/2020 at 3:34 PM, SkiBee said:

I’m having problems with seizing the ends of the lines, they don’t look like a real line termination, just some ratty knots.

Unfortunately, it looks like you may have done the lanyards backwards. The knot (EDIT: I mean the knot holding the lanyard at the dead here) should be inboard, and if you tie it off inboard you may not notice the knot (EDIT: I mean the knot on the shroud here) as much. I don't have the book, but I've been heavily referred to purchase The Fully Framed Model Rigging a Sixth Rate Sloop of War 1767-1780 by David Antscherl. I have used “Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern” by Milton Roth for some hints as well. I unfortunately don't have any blog threads to point you too aside from searching build logs on here (sorry).

Edited by VTHokiEE

• 2 weeks later...

Finished, I did enjoy this build and learned a lot about planking and rigging.  I am glad that I built the Grand Banks Dory and the Norwegian Pram prior to this boat, but it is a good third boat to build since you learn additional skills in planking and rigging.  It was not easy for a novice but well worth the challenge.  My biggest challenge was working with the small size with by fat and clumsy fingers especially rigging and tying knots.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions, they did help, please keep it up especially for us beginners.

I’m torn to start as my next build the New York Phantom Pilot Boat or the new MS Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, the third in the learning series by David Antscherl.  I’m very intimidated by carving a solid hull vs planking.

1587209316_Pic33.thumb.jpg.407ff9874375b936ded5781457e5d756.jpg
1756278137_Pic37.thumb.jpg.9cd9aecaeb1893997bb31d8278dc9554.jpg

99860504_Pic34.thumb.jpg.3c4d7876818791ed49c0fb1b3cd2725b.jpg

1241334549_Pic36.thumb.jpg.824eade614b2131fa332d0ff726db775.jpg1598680115_Pic35.thumb.jpg.093127bf5da4d3f7361acee72818436e.jpg

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Skibee,

You mentioned carving the hull, most kits that has a solid hull is pre-shaped, there is more sanding than carving. Unless, you are building your ship from a solid rectangular block.

Then you have a of carving to do.

Good luck with your choice and Happy Holiday. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 8 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me