Viking Knarr by JohnN - FINISHED - Dusek - Scale 1:35

I am embarking on a build of this kit.  I found a log for the 1:72nd scale version, but seemingly none exist for this scale.  

Here are the kit parts

20201202_115127.jpg

20201202_115021.jpg

20201202_115105.jpg

20201202_115008.jpg

20201202_114845.jpg

20201202_114807.jpg

20201202_114740.jpg

20201202_114708.jpg

20201202_114501.jpg

20201202_211037.jpg

Edited by JohnN
Cleanup

In Progress:

Completed:

Knarr 1:35

MS Norwegian Pram 1:12

MS Grand Banks Dory 1:24

Welcome to the ranks of Viking shipbuilders

Clinker rules OK!

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

Welcome! I'm currently building the 1:35 Dusek longship (see link in signature), another case where no log exists for the large-scale version, only the 1:72 version. I've found the kit to be rather problematic and you may well benefit from reading through my frustrations, mistakes, and solutions, even if you proceed differently, as I wouldn't be surprised to find many issues mirrored between the two kits. I hope you'll stick with it; mine is finally starting to look like something and I think will turn out well. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you do with this interesting vessel.

Welcome to the ranks of mediaeval ship modellers - a rather small and very select group :dancetl6:.

Information for ships of this period is often scarce and a lot is based on "educated guesswork" from archaeological finds. However there are a couple of pretty good knarr wrecks that have been discovered and quite a bit of info available on them. In my opinion, the research and speculation is at least half the fun.

I'll be interested in seeing the progress of your build.

I continue to await the arrival of some tools as, being rather new to this, I need to add to my box.  Thanks, USPS.

In the meanwhile, I am cleaning up the keel and frames.

I have just started reading @Cathead's build log for the longship.  Seems an adventure awaits.  😬

In Progress:

Completed:

Maybe you'll do a better job than me! Certainly there are things I'd do differently if I were to repeat my kit. 

Tools have finally arrived.  

The keel looks quite close to perfectly flat based on the level.  There is perhaps 1 to 2 mm of divergence, which I am not going to be concerned about.  Pondering fabricating a build board such as illustrated on other threads.

Need to recheck planking locations on the keel before proceeding with frames.

20201216_124019.jpg

Edited by JohnN

In Progress:

Completed:

• 2 weeks later...

Have added all frames.  I decided to do this from 3 to 16 the the ends.  The instructions have the under deck frames added first, then the remainder.  I felt the instruction ordered would be problematic for my square tools, hence the ordering change.  I see no obvious problems with my ordering. 

I had a little mis-start, as I began frame installation with the keel reverse ordered WRT the instructions.  It was not until I test fit one of the decks that I realized I had erred.  I then enjoyed a disassembly and clean up day.  Kit manufacturers, how about adding frame numbers at the keel, as well as part numbers on hidden areas of parts for un-attentive builders such as myself ?  Seems no real added manufacturing cost, and a large potential time saving for novice builders.

I have fitted two of the first layer decks, and am working on the other two. The larger need some fiddling/sanding to get proper fit at the frame cutouts.

20201227_104048.jpg

In Progress:

Completed:

Happy 2021, All.  

I have installed the sub-deck plywood parts (Steps 1b and 1c) .  As stated earlier, some adjustments to the precut slots were necessary.  Rather than glue the larger decks to the frames prior to frame attachment to the keel, I installed the frames (as above) and the the decks.  No issues I am aware of using this alternate sequence.

20201229_100910.jpg

The mast foot assembly, prep and installation is straightforward.  Helpful are locating notches in the keel making placement obvious.

The deck planking was a bit troublesome.  The provided laser cut planks have thin attachments between separate pieces, and it is not obvious from the instructions if the intent is to separate all parts, then install, or just try to glue down the deck planks as provided.  Since three of the four decks lost a lot of pieces during handling, I separated the parts prior to attaching to the plywood sub decks.  This worked, but was rather tedious.  For the largest, which stayed in one piece, I separated one set of edge planks, glued the rest to the sub-deck, then adjusted the size of the edge pieces to finish coverage.

Adding the transverse strips (Step IIIb) is also straightforward; I cut the strips a bit oversized and will trim as either the remaining frame pieces are glued to the transverse strips, or as I am planking.

20210102_140557.jpg

The inner frame is the next piece to attach, and can be seen dry-fitted above.  However, this inner frame (part 27) is flat, and the other frame tops are not at the same level WRT to each other.  I carefully measured and squared them while attaching to the keel, so am confident they are level.  In fact, there is a substantial gap between the inner frame and the top of frame 10 (below) .  The cross section provided in the plans shows the inner frame directly in contact with the top of frame 10.  It seems a consistent amount of frame should protrude above the inner frame as well, so this suggests the inner frame has a bend, and is lowest at the top of frame 10.  

20210102_140620.jpg

I will be fussing with the frame top cutouts in the inner frame to get a better dry fit, while I re-examine construction looking for other assembly blunders that might explain the present situation.

Edited by JohnN

In Progress:

Completed:

Following a couple hours of working the frame tops and frame cutouts in the inner frame, I wielded the maxi-cure super glue, used the top of frame 10 as a level guide, and attached the inner frame.  I spent most of the time working on frames 6 and 12, which were too narrow to allow the inner frame to sit low enough.  

The image below shows the 5 parts 28 attached to the top of the inner frame.

20210103_132338.jpg

This illustrates the inner frame is sitting on the top of frame 10 as shown in the plans.

20210103_132400.jpg

A few more frame parts to install and the ship will be ready for planking to begin

Edited by JohnN

In Progress:

Completed:

All parts called for prior to planking, except frames 29 and 35, are installed.  I will install the remaining frames after I verify their placement during planking, as they do not have the inner frame to help position them laterally.  

The inner frame (part 27) was the most time consuming to align and install.  

20210103_174637.jpg

In Progress:

Completed:

Planking has begun.  I have shaped and installed the first three on each hull side, parts 36 thru 38.  The process has been, so far, smooth.  I did bevel the keel edge of parts 36, and have thinned the ends of all planks, which you can hopefully see in the photos.  Most time consuming was assuring the frame surface for the next plank was level with the surface of the just installed plank, as quite a few needed some material removed.

20210106_163908.jpg

20210106_163851.jpg

Edited by JohnN

In Progress:

Completed:

I have completed one side to plank 41; the other is in progress.  Plank 41 was a bit of work, as it lies flat to the frames and must be shaped to fit.  It came quite a bit oversized, and required some time to get the sizing correct.  As I did this before soaking for bending, final attachment needed to wait until it had returned to dry size.  The first two photos are overviews, interior and exterior, respectively.

20210108_111232.jpg

Bow facing viewer, below:

20210108_122257.thumb.jpg.65e47219f2cf7c564c89e34f5602cd8e.jpg

Stern facing viewer, below:

20210108_111157.jpg

I have not yet decided how to complete treatment of the bow and stern planking, in process as seen below.  The first photo is the bow

20210108_111218.jpg

and stern

20210108_111207.jpg

Overall, the fit of the planks has been good, and achieving the alignments illustrated not overly difficult.  The lengths of the planks have not been altered.  Most of the frames required some adjustment via sanding prior to installing the following planks.  The hull feels quite sturdy.

This completes step Va of the instructions.

Edited by JohnN

In Progress:

Completed:

The second-last plank in the second photo seems to be at an unusual angle - but this may just be a fault of the photo. Certainly, clinker planking can be very difficult to get exactly right. It's probably best to just leave it as it is rather than try to change it.

Overall, looking very good.

Steven

Aha! Well, having seen the cross-section, the plank does seem to be in the right orientation after all. I wouldn't sand it - if that's the way it's supposed to be, leave it as it is.  It does look strange, though, doesn't it?

That's some beautiful planking!! Great work!!!

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Two more planks are installed, and the full set of shorter frames.  The frame tops have been leveled, and I am working on bending the cap rails (parts 54) to fit.  It is unclear from the instructions how the cap rails join to the bow and stern.  I am assuming they will need to be beveled to fit/join the keel at bow and stern, and the cap pieces 55 and 56 fit over them and attach to the keel at the triangular features visible in the detail photos below.

I may attach planks  44 prior to cap rail installation if a dry fit shows no interference.  Note this is out of the sequence in the instructions, which has the cap rails attached before planks 42 thru 44.

Bow facing viewer

20210111_184541.thumb.jpg.aa32f81617bef5470eb9a72aa1d10410.jpg

Stern facing viewer

20210111_184525.thumb.jpg.e7b6365b492629280491d0f2ce8a82bd.jpg

Interior 

20210111_184604.thumb.jpg.b6b4c65b4ebee2019045c6dac5cb60b2.jpg

Bow detail20210111_184641.thumb.jpg.e8078d646cd98695c8381ac862328967.jpg

Stern detail

20210111_184704.thumb.jpg.0c68fe80a91fde5abe0f21cfcb239521.jpg

In Progress:

Completed:

Cap rail installation went smoothly, and is finished.  I decided to attach them to the keel at bow and stern, as shown below.  I think a bit of sanding will be required to properly attach parts 55 and 56, that will need to wait till tomorrow.

20210112_203100.thumb.jpg.29521afb0caaf20107d5203e0f606690.jpg

Bow 

20210112_203204.thumb.jpg.4d377c27d598bef36969edd9eb432fde.jpg

Stern

20210112_203307.thumb.jpg.65aafe2a054ae0f0596b28316d76182d.jpg

In Progress:

Completed:

All planks have been attached.  Still to do is final sanding and clean-up of plank attachments at bow and stern.

The process was smoother than anticipated.  However, placement of planks is a fussy process, and it is difficult to determine proper bow to stern placement.  I do have some mis-alignment, and hopefully this will not be very obvious once I have finished clean-up.

During planking, especially the final two planks, some of the frames required removal of quite a bit of material, which, in retrospect, was the correct approach.  The final two frames, both at bow and stern, do not align well with the overlying planks. The frame profiles need adjustments that are not parallel with the provided notches.  I am unsure if I installed the frames incorrectly, or if the root cause of this mis-alignment is due to some other issue.

It seemed the frames may have had a bias bow to stern that I missed during assembly.  About half way though the planking, it seemed several frames may have been installed backwards.  There is no obvious problem at this stage, but I am left wondering.

For the cap rail, my assembly approach seems correct, or at least useable, as it resulted in a lot of bonding surface for the last two planks.  The instruction illustrations seemed to indicate a gap between these parts and the keel, which I think would have resulted in quite a mess if followed.

The hull is quite solid and stable, and I was able to handle it without issue as I was working the last planks.  

The last planks are slightly proud of the cap rail; I have not decided whether it is worth the effort to level them amidship as shown in the plans.  I knew this as i assembled, but it is requiring more effort than anticipated to remove the excess material.

There is a small bit of mis-alignment at the bow; it seems the keel is off perhaps 2mm port to starboard.

20210115_165000.thumb.jpg.cedaa75a92d79db69ba288115e673576.jpg

20210115_165017.thumb.jpg.0632819b33fe9b78064d691087c78b59.jpg

Edited by JohnN

In Progress:

Completed: