USS Constitution - Model Shipways vs. Mamoli

rtropp

I am currently building the Siren and was looking at the Constitution kits from Mamoli and Model Shipways.  The price difference is huge, with the larger Model Shipways kit almost half the price.  Both are sold by Model Expo so I get the part replacement guarantee for either... which is great insurance for someone who is a little (ok... a lot) clumsy at times. I know, I have used it.

So, my question is basically, what are the differences in the kits? Do the different scales make that much difference in the finished model?  What do you get for the extra price of the Mamoli?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Another thought about the price-point differences is that the Mamoli kit price is also likely higher due to currency differences (and currency exchange fees) between the Euro and Dollar; also there are associated import costs as well (shipping expenses, customs, and so forth). So what I'm throwing out is that for the Mamoli kit, you're paying for those costs if you purchase the kit (that goes for any imported kit as well). While a firm will usually buy in bulk to increase their per-item margin and to help offset those per-item expenses, those costs are still associated with imports and are passed on to a consumer in an item's pricing. Oi, it's the accountant in me... :)

Jay

Current Build:

Well the first thing I see is that the MS version is single plank basswood and the Mamoli is double planked with the 2nd in walnut.

Actually.... the whole MS kit is in basswood while the Mamoli is in different kinds of woods like mahogany & walnut. It is what you prefer....

Building: San Felipe

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

Lauckstreets: Fair American

Mamoli's: Royal Louis

S:

Thanks for the tip about replacement parts at Model Expo.  At my skill level (and stress tolerance level) replacement parts is an important factor.  And Model Expo has be very easy to deal with thus far. The one part I needed (a bulkhead) came in a week and with no charge.  Easy Peasy! 

R:

It would seem to be more cost effective to just order additional wood.  I have checked some sites and the prices aren't bad.  Same seems true of replacing fixtures with upgraded brass and such.  I was following a fellow who is doing an outstanding job of upgrading his build of the Siren. The prices of his upgrades, multiplied for difference in kit size and complexity between Siren and Constitution, would seem to still be less than the Mamoli kit. And it would allow some personalization. (Sooner or later I will have to try scratch built and this might be a step towards that. )

J:

the cost of importing and differences in currency could well be a major portion of the price variances.

I look forward to hearing from others who might have additional thoughts. 

Appreciate your inputs.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Model Shipways plans and in particular instructions will probably be a lot easier to understand. Mamoli is an italian company and some of their instructions it shows through in the english translation part.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

I can't speak for the Mamoli kit but I'm building the MS version and its a good kit. Just keep in mind that there are quite a few parts that will need to be made from scratch.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 5 years later...

I have built both Mamoli and MS Constitution kits.  The Mamoli I built was probably 30 years or so ago.  I had no problems with it or the instructions. I just finished the Model Shipways kit and am not impressed with it at all.  If it were not for the fact that I have built the Constitution before and still have plans for rigging and that now there are internet pictures of the real Constitution, it would not have been possible to complete the MS kit.  The metal castings have lots of flashing, large mold marks and some of them did not completely cast and are missing parts.  There is only basswood and is single plank.  There were a lot of parts that had to built from scratch and some of them were very detailed and very very  small. Lots of those parts show two views which can be difficult to understand.  Plus there is no description of how to build those parts... it's trial and error to find a way to get satisfactory replicas of those parts. 

Speaking as one lone voice, I will not be purchasing from Model Shipways ever again. I abandoned my USS Constitution build, primarily due to two factors. Firstly, I wanted to convert the kit to an 1812 variation. Probably due to my lower skill level (and patience), I struggled with this immensely. Secondly, as has been pointed out, almost every aspect of the MS kit has to be scratch built. MS largely provides just the strip wood.

A third factor for me was that, despite a number of writers saying that MS customer service is very good, I did NOT experience this at all. Indeed, quite the opposite. On the two occasions when I contacted them for additional wood, my queries took in excess of three weeks before the goods were even shipped. And that is not counting for transit to Australia. Multiple e-mails were required on my behalf to get progress on my requests. On one occasion, I even received a rather curt reply back from MS, stating that "these things take time". This was after having re-submitted information on my order (which MS somehow lost) and not getting any response for three days (working days, mind you ... I took the time differential AND weekends into consideration).

There are plenty of quality model suppliers on the market (OcCre, Caldercraft, Syren etc etc), and in future I shall be spending my money with them, instead of Model Shipways.

(I would love to one day re-attempt a build of the USS Constitution ...  but that day may have to wait until Chuck releases a kit of this beautiful ship)

[RANT MODE OFF]

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 1 year later...

FWIW, the guy who owns Lauk Street Shipyard , doesn't seem to have a problem with pirated ship kits from China..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon