Proxxon DB250 mini wood lathe has arrived...

So, the Proxxon mini lathe has arrived...  here's my 5am test first impression:

Unit is compact, but the feedthrough will definitely help with masts and larger spars

Tested it with a 6mm diameter dowel, which will be a small mast; will be reduced to 5mm at bottom of mast and at the top turned down to to 2.5mm diameter.  Use the 3-Jax chuck, with the live tailstock (which spins very nicely).

Cutting performed with the Proxxon turning tool set, whih performed nicely.  My only REAL gripe, however, is the tool rest surface... short, and badly finished, as the tools tend to snag/catch.  Will remove from the bed, and polish the same as best as possible.  Maybe have a machineshop prepare me a stainless steel unit, wider?  That way larger tool passes can be performed.

Sanding was a breeze as well with this unit.  Alignment as very nice between chick centyer and tailstock.

All in all, very satified with the purchase, while the savings go for the Sherline later down the road!

A couple of pics follows, so any questions you might have, please feel free to ask!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I started with this lathe years ago on my first build.  I really enjoyed it.  Ended up selling to upgrade to a Sherline, but it's a great mini lathe for small wood turning.  Worked a treat when it came to sanding taper into masts.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Got mine also few weeks ago and im supper impressed with it. It reduces the time for masts and yards, also boosts my quality on them. I dis not use knives for shaping but instead sanding sticks that worked better for me.

Only issue is that 4mm piece does not really suit if its too long as it starts to vibrate. Here comes handy that you can put it trough the main socket and partially shape the wood.

I recomend.

Jorge,

I got the same lathe a few weeks ago.

Very compact and good for what it is. Agreed, the live centre is very good. A little slop in the tailstock, and my tool rest also had a very rough finish....but a bit of filing and fine emery cloth soon polished it up.

All the best,

Richard

I just recently bought a Proxxon DB250 and can see the issue with the short tool rest. Nor do I see a simple fix. But for the price I think I can work around it.

I could probably solve this problem by buying a Sherline for over a $1000.00 dollars. 

I'll keep cost benefit in mind.

Enjoy your new lathe, I am sure I will enjoy mine. 

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum