Another newbie - Swift

I bought Swift a few years ago as a first ever timber ship kit, but put it down after constructing the frame and half-planking the deck, when I realised I wasn't happy with the planking I had started. This last week I picked it up again and decided that no-one else would ever realise that some of the planks didn't quite look perfect! So progress since then has been to finish the deck planking, fit the deck to the frame, and start planking... 

I ended up clamping the deck down pretty hard to get the curve to the bulkheads, but it looks really good so I'm pretty happy with it.

One thing I have noted is that I was not happy with the hull curve generated by bulkhead 6 (it really pinched in and didn't flow well at all) so I have packed it slightly - it can be seen in the last photo as the bulkhead with an extra pin in it near the keel. 

I've been reading a lot on planking techniques - and reading through @stripehunter's build log - some excellent advice all round. So the planking is now going to pause while I review what to do next... 

I'm generally more of a railway modeller than a ship modeller - but I've always had a soft spot for ships, so we will see how this turns out. With my modelling I tend to do spurts of activity then stop for a few months, so I daresay this will go through stages as well, but I'll get there eventually. 

IMG_20200803_200353.jpg

IMG_20200803_200442.jpg

IMG_20200804_193728.jpg

Hi Swallowtail and welcome to MSW. Packing out a bulkhead is something that often becomes necessary in a build. Much as we would like to believe kits came from the manufacturer completely without faults, unfortunately this is not so, and corrections "on the run" are sometimes needed. What you're doing looks very good.

I would strongly suggest you start a build log - it's a great way to get feedback from other modellers, plus encouragement, help and advice, often from those who've already encountered and solved the problems you may face. Instructions on starting a build log are at 

Looking forward to seeing your further progress.

Best wishes,

Welcome to Model Ship World Swallowtail.  It looks like you have done a good job on the deck planking.  I am glad you found the problem with bulkhead 6.  By adding material to this bulkhead, it will ensure a smooth run of the planks.  Do not worry about building in spurts as a lot of us do this.  The main thing is to enjoy the building process and build at whatever pace you want.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW, Swallowtail.   I can't add anything to what the others have said.  Just be sure to enjoy the journey.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Another warm welcome.  

Might be a good idea to start a build log and post your photos there rather than here in the new member forum, especially if you have questions or run into any problems.  There are no shortage of helpers here at MSW to lend a hand!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU