Hello from South Carolina

ChrisSC

Hi, thanks for letting me join your group. I hadn't built a model since I was a kid which is many decades ago. Due to the current situation I found myself with lots of indoor time on my hands. A friend had given me a half complete 1/350 Missouri when he moved away so I decided I would finish it. I did and found I really enjoyed the work. So I purchased a few more plastic ship models and now I'm hooked. Thanks again, Chris.

Hi Chris and welcome to Model Ship World.  We have some fantastic plastic ship builds on MSW.  I am amazed at the photo etched details and the painting and weathering effects the builders put into their models.  Please post some photos of your Missouri as we would like to see your model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:sign:

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome Chris!  Plenty of people here to help you out if you have any questions.  A build log is a great way to show what your re working on and to connect to the community.

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW, Chris.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Chris and welcome. When you start your next build make sure you also start a build log. Apart from giving everybody the pleasure of watching yourmodel take shape, it's a greatway to get encouragement, help and advice. The instructions on how to start a build log are here:

2 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Hi Chris and welcome. When you start your next build make sure you also start a build log. Apart from giving everybody the pleasure of watching yourmodel take shape, it's a greatway to get encouragement, help and advice. The instructions on how to start a build log are here:

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I have actually put two build logs on the forum since joining. Thank you all again.

Oops! My bad (though in my defense, the Queen Elizabeth log has only been up for 9 hours. And then there's the time difference to consider . . .  :P).

What's the other build? I couldn't find it.

10 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Oops! My bad (though in my defense, the Queen Elizabeth log has only been up for 9 hours. And then there's the time difference to consider . . .  :P).

What's the other build? I couldn't find it.

I have one that I recently finished of a Minicraft 

Titanic. That was my first attempt at a start to finish build. I have a 1/200 Trumpeter Titanic in its box with the detail kits but I am putting that one off for awhile until I can get a few more models under my belt. I am kind of Titaniced out lol. Unfortunately Titanic models are everywhere and the other liners are few and far between.

Ok, got it now. Maybe you could build the next Titanic model and call it Britannic? Oh, no - she sank as well . . .:(

For any other liner you'd probably have to go over to the Dark Side and scratch build . . .

20 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Ok, got it now. Maybe you could build the next Titanic model and call it Britannic? Oh, no - she sank as well . . .:(

For any other liner you'd probably have to go over to the Dark Side and scratch build . . .

Yes, a few of the ships I have met bad endings! Well I have the 1/350 Lusitania which is a really nice model but is on hold for parts I'm waiting for. I have a 1/350 resin Normandie which I paid a ton of money for but am disappointed with it's quality...and then the Trumpeter Titanic in 1/200. I also bought a 1/450 QE2 which looks kind of interesting, and a 1/400 Queen Mary 2 Platinum Edition. The Queen Mary 2 is quite large and with the wood decks and photo etch looks like it might be almost as big a challenge as the 1/200 Titanic. The QM2 is sort of a hybrid ocean liner/cruise ship which is stretching my area of interest a bit but it is available. I have no love for cruise ships personally.

I didn't want to go down to 1/600 because I didn't think I could get much detail with the molded on parts but it has surprisingly been fun so far. My eyes aren't that great anymore at 57 which also made me shy away from 1/600. Since I started building this Queen Elizabeth I have bought more in this scale. A Mauritania, a Queen Mary (1/570), and am trying to get a 1/600 QE2 and a France. The France is quite rare and expensive.

So I have pretty much scoured ocean liner models and have or am trying to acquire most of what's out there. I really don't understand why they are so unpopular as compared to warships....too bad. I would have to say my favorite scale so far in my limited time since taking up this hobby is 1/350. Unfortunately that is a barren desert scale for ocean liners with only Titanic and Lusitania ever being made in plastic as far as I know.

Scratch building an entire ship is way beyond my capabilities at this time but I would love to be able to do that. I have scratch built some parts so far but I can't imagine how I would go about doing a hull as I don't think I have much skill in wood working other than using the router to make the display bases lol. At least I have enough to keep me busy for awhile in the subject matter I enjoy.

You could always come over to the Dark Side -- card modeling. Liners are actually popular subjects in the card modeling world. One of the nicest card liner kits out there is the HMV Cap Arcona, but there are any number of smaller and less challenging subjects.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht