Marine Clothing room configuration.

There are 3 rooms in the aft end  of the orlop deck that will be included in the section that I'm building.  One of them is #5 in the drawing below.  The other 2 rooms, #18 & #19 will also be included.

1414314577_L1-Orlop(2).jpg.dc3a6335416cafd7d2b6b3a54c2de115.jpg

Room #5 is shown as Marine Clothing.  How would the inside of that room be configured?  I assume it probably had shelves attached to the partition wall and possibly even to the inner hull -- but I only have that drawing above and have no idea of what may have been in that room.  So I'd be grateful for any information coming from you guys.

Also, the rooms #18 (Lieutenant's Store Room) and #19 (Captain's Store Room)  --  how would they have been configured?

What kind of fittings would most likely have been in these rooms?

Thanks in advance.

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

Not sure about storerooms 18 and 19, but have heard references to the Marine Clothing compartment. It’s common knowledge in the US Navy that Marines are fond of wearing pretty clothes, so I suspect room 5 would have shelves for fluffy sweaters, drawers for lacy undergarments, and perhaps hangers for sexy dresses. Oh, and shoe racks for their CMFM pumps. And of course a full-length mirror somewhere on a bulkhead.

HTH,

CPO, USN (Ret)

Jim

I looked at some drawings of the orlop decks at the NMM Collections site and the marine clothing room is clearly shown on Inflexible, 1780.  While it was a 64, the cabin layout is similar to what you show.  I could not find a contemporary orlop drawing of a 50 but I am sure they are in their archives somewhere.  Alas, I found nothing on what was inside the cabin.  With the bright red seemingly the uniform of the day for the marines, I suspect this was basically a wardrobe type room, an origin or modern walk in closets,  to keep things neat and orderly and away from the daily grunge that might be encountered if kept elsewhere and ruin the scarlet look.    Perhaps, Victory has such a space and has been restored to what it looked like back in the day.   Might be photos out there if that is the case.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

4 hours ago, el cid said:

Not sure about storerooms 18 and 19, but have heard references to the Marine Clothing compartment. It’s common knowledge in the US Navy that Marines are fond of wearing pretty clothes, so I suspect room 5 would have shelves for fluffy sweaters, drawers for lacy undergarments, and perhaps hangers for sexy dresses. Oh, and shoe racks for their CMFM pumps. And of course a full-length mirror somewhere on a bulkhead.

HTH,

CPO, USN (Ret)

Hey, I take exception to that!!  Although I too am a retired CPO I portray a marine on Constitution.

I think the room is the equivalent of the Navy's slop chest where replacement clothing for sailors was available.  However unlike sailors slops that the individual sailor paid for,  Marine uniforms were an issue item.  I would think that there would be shelves and bins to hold various uniform items.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Henry, the deck plan shows a slop room just aft of the marine clothing room.    You may be right, one was for the sailors, one for the marines, but if that's the  case, why not call it a marine slop room?   So many questions, so little time.  

Allan   

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Because slops were often cast offs and remainders of uniforms.  Sometimes they consisted of the clothing recovered from deceased crew members sea bags.  The clothing was not always in the best of conditions, hence the moniker - slops.

Marine uniforms were required to be in a more presentable state because they were often the face of the Navy ashore (along with the officers uniforms).  When a ship did make port often the only personnel allowed ashore were officers and a marine detachment.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thanks for your comments El Cid, Allan and Henry.

El Cid ~ I've ordered a full length mirror and some frilly underpants off ebay.

I've viewed several walk-thru videos of Victory on youtube hoping for some inspiration and will probably try a cabinet or two and some shelves similar to these ones in this screenshot from one of the videos >

Shelves.thumb.jpg.a660121b209952a68d07a315b28f4b4b.jpg

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

• 1 year later...

Welcome to MSW Kenn,

It would be a polite thing if you would post an introduction in the new member forum here at MSW.  

The subject was concerning clothing for marines aboard ship over 200 years ago, so are you saying Quaker Marine store has vintage clothing?  You make no mention on where the store is located. 

Merry Christmas and happy 2022

Allan

Thanks for welcome! Actually I am from Australia and I am a traveler also loves to fishing, Writing is my profession I write stories entertainment also lifestyle topics. Actually Quaker Marine store established in 1949, not too old but it is also a reasonable thing to categorized as vintage clothing this is of its overall story https://quakermarine.com/pages/about-us. I just want to sharing this as a relevant place for interest. Thank you

Edited by Kenn

I was a Nuclear Weapons Officer in the Navy and had a Marine detachment to guard my spaces. I am pretty certain some of the Marines would take exception to CPO cid's comments about marine attire. The dresses they wore definitely were not sexy!

Edited by Dr PR

14 hours ago, Dr PR said:

I was a Nuclear Weapons Officer in the Navy and had a Marine detachment to guard my spaces. I am pretty certain some of the Marines would take exception to CPO cid's comments about marine attire. The dresses they wore definitely were not sexy!

Only "some".  All the former Marines I know would object.?????  If Monty Python is right, then only lumberjacks would approve of his comment.  LOL

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You live in Medford and you dared post that comment?! Taunting Marines is one thing, but lumberjacks is another, especially when they live all around you. Here at the OSU College of Forestry you don't mention the "Lumberjack Song!"

Are we off topic?

Edited by Dr PR

17 hours ago, Dr PR said:

You live in Medford and you dared post that comment?! Taunting Marines is one thing, but lumberjacks is another, especially when they live all around you. Here at the OSU College of Forestry you don't mention the "Lumberjack Song!"

Are we off topic?

Yeah... I wandered off a bit.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)