Another Novice

BrownBeard

Hi Y’all- new concert from plastic kits here. I’m enjoying the 18th Century Longboat by Model Shipways right now. It’s got me thinking about build #2-  any suggestions?  I’m a newbie so no triple deckers!!  I’m hoping to find a good model suggestion and a build log to follow!

thanks everyone- I hope to find some success with wood ship modeling!

Welcome! How far along into the longboat are you (a current picture perhaps)? 

Any particular style of ship interest you (cannons/no cannons, sailboat/work boat, era, etc)? I’m currently building the HM Alert from Vanguard (it’s my first planked ship) and Blue Ensign’s build log on it has really helped me.  

BB, welcome to MSW where the fire is warm, the coffee's hot with friendly conversation and spectacular build logs that'll take your breath away......enjoy yourself. 

Hi Brownbeard,

The best place to look is here

This has been assembled to give new people plenty of choice, of models that are relatively easy to build and have clear instructions. Have a look through and see what attracts you.

And when it comes to starting a build log, have a look here:

Have fun with it!

Hey Kieth- I’m just getting the interior details put in. A lot of mistakes, but I have learned from each one!  What a blast it’s been!  I’ll try to attach a picture from early on.  

I have worked on plastic kits, but never wood, there is quite a difference!  I’ll put a picture of a plastic kit in too. 

860A1154-B960-4612-BFC9-FF4DC2393018.jpeg

ABC73723-22CD-444C-B3AB-5B2F6DB2C5D0.jpeg

Welcome!  The longboat is a great start.  Louie da fly linked a great place to start dreaming of the next project (which we all do)

Welcome, Brownbread. Judging from the pic of your armour, you know how to build models so we look forward to seeing more of your longboat.

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Looks like you're well on the way. Don't get too worried about mistakes - we all make them. And most of the time they can be remedied - wood is a very forgiving medium (don't ask me how I know!)

2 hours ago, Seems ok to me said:

What tank kit is that above?

Looks like one of the "specials" that they developed for Normandy, along with the floating tank and the flail tank for exploding mines - that's the Sherman/Grant/Sheridan tank that could fly upside down! :D

:sign:

Nice Patton (M48A3 ?? )

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi BrownBeard and welcome to Model Ship World.  It looks like you have the skills to do good in building wooden ship models based on your build of your tank model.  You are off to a good start on your Longboat, but I question whether you have faired the bulkheads enough for the planks to sit flush along the width of the bulkhead.  This is very important for the Longboat as the planks need to be in full contact with the bulkheads and the planks provide support for the bulkheads when you thin down the bulkheads after removing the centers.  Check out the other Longboat build logs to see how much their bulkheads were faired.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat