HMS Terror by DanielD - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:75 - Second Build Started 10/4/2020

Today in the shipyard I took on the task of the bowsprit. Using the dimensions from Lee’s book, this is what I came up with.

And thanks Keith for your help setting me straight.

77740505-0343-4FC0-9EFC-684B3BD6EF0A.jpeg

6C2003FE-4406-4F5E-A31E-92427AEAA135.jpeg

FEA4D028-C255-483F-B643-6AEF9D92A1B1.jpeg

D3318EDF-C00D-4BC4-90AD-8E2B2B9CD9D2.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

16 hours ago, clearway said:

😁 niceeeeeee and no problem old engineers adage "if in doubt -ask".

Keith

I seem to remember it as "who needs instructions..."

The HMS Terror and Erebus each had on board two 6 pound signal cannons. Here is my attempt to pay homage to those cannons. They sure are tiny! 

6C8728A4-ACE4-4B41-A004-238BF7E4360D.jpeg

934C2849-CC8A-462D-B6CC-62A935622393.jpeg

E06F633C-3F01-4EA9-84C4-8637ADE8A32D.jpeg

53AC61CD-9C22-49E8-B631-175E8A479FEB.jpeg

3A0E7288-5D43-4C83-BAF5-535F61D06AFE.jpeg

Hello all, I’ve not posted in awhile as I’ve been working on the main mast. It’s taking a lot longer than I thought! There is so much to build, I had no idea. I’ve been using Lee’s book as my main reference, but also a big thanks to Keith and Keith S for their build logs to help me along the way. My mast is not nearly finished, but the main structure is set.

7A40CB0F-5EEF-4201-A7DC-547EDF476CE5.jpeg

280604F3-71EC-4E27-999E-3EB8682A201B.jpeg

C17826DF-A70B-4447-81EB-E5AE6A7C3EAC.jpeg

442D4DC3-F287-452D-B404-083F47CDBA42.jpeg

great work Daniel, between yours and two other threads I think that some day I can get to build it, I have been given the kit and I keep it for the future, before I have to practice with other simpler ones.

Thanks for sharing your progress, I will follow it with attention.

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

Hi Daniel. I'm new to ship building and new to these forums. I've just ordered this kit and am looking forward to the build when I've finished my current one. I've enjoyed your log immensely and the finished model is really superb. Could you tell me what camera and lens you used for your photos - they are also excellent in their clarity and detail. Did you use any special lighting?

2 hours ago, Bielievandiebosveld said:

Hi Daniel. I'm new to ship building and new to these forums. I've just ordered this kit and am looking forward to the build when I've finished my current one. I've enjoyed your log immensely and the finished model is really superb. Could you tell me what camera and lens you used for your photos - they are also excellent in their clarity and detail. Did you use any special lighting?

Thank for your positive comments! This has been such a fun build, but I’m not even close to the finish line. I have learned so much about ships and ship building thanks to Keith (clearway) and Kieth S!

I don’t bother getting out my big camera and gear for this project, I just use my iPhone with no special lighting. I hope you have as much fun as I am having with this wonderful historic ship. There is so much to learn and discover with the HMS Terror.

Edited by DanielD

Good evening everyone. Here is today’s update. I’ve been putting off this project for some time, the creation of the chainplates. I’m not using the ones that came with the kit as they are just simple wire representations. I purchased some pre-made chainplates, that of course requires modification 😬 and I want to stay consistent using chemically tinting the metal (which is a real pain), but looks good in the end. Just time consuming. Only about 60 more to do... what was I thinking.

8C7C5471-AFF3-41A5-AB96-28073DAC0415.jpeg

ED75C7B9-62B6-4BE9-A0D3-31808A679735.jpeg

A little more time today, so did a more chain work on the main mast following Lee’s observations as close as I feasibly can.

191694FB-D79D-47FA-9F5F-1B7E9BA88242.jpeg

Good evening everyone and thanks for stopping by! I have been at a loss for awhile now, looking for a basic serving machine but not finding anything available. My first choice is the one made by Syren Ship Model Company, however, maybe due to the pandemic and everyone staying home, they are always out of stock. One day I saw an ad on TV for Legos, and had an idea. When my son was young we did lots of things with lego’s, and still have them, thousands of them. I went for the boxes, found a motor and a controller and set out to make a rope serving machine. Below is a picture and video of what I was able to build and an example of the finished product. It will work for now!

2123BD6E-4332-42BA-BDD4-D49926EC8E1E.jpeg

B6442151-505D-4D3F-BA6F-C6DDB785B44A.jpeg

A83072B5-A234-44F7-82DE-DE754EB2F28E.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Thanks all for stopping by and taking a look. I had some extra time today so I started some shroud work on the upper main mast. I choose to use the cable laid turning of the shrouds as this method was primary in use after 1805, or at least my interpretation of the shrouds. My primary reference is The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625 to 1860.

0BDD7B2D-CA14-45EA-B39A-8494D83E833A.jpeg

00582747-7D46-40D5-91C7-48F9D2373A9B.jpeg

0394289D-EE67-4B50-82E5-3177E6312937.jpeg

D78730B6-A7E8-419E-B54F-FC2D30742B79.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

looking good Daniel, at this scale i tend to simplify it a bit and just settle for a few half hitches. I recommend sorting out the brackets forn the davit posts before finally gluing masts in place and rigging lower shrouds though (depends how you want to do the posts and skid beams though really).

Keith

1 hour ago, clearway said:

looking good Daniel, at this scale i tend to simplify it a bit and just settle for a few half hitches. I recommend sorting out the brackets forn the davit posts before finally gluing masts in place and rigging lower shrouds though (depends how you want to do the posts and skid beams though really).

Keith

Keith, thanks for the heads up on that. I do plan to get on that task soon as I recently received an order with the materials for that job. I've been putting it off, not so much for the davits, but for the, sorry I don't know the exact nautical name, railing just inside the bulwarks. I believe it's to hold barrels and supplies, but I'm unclear how all that works so I've avoid the entire area. I've read somewhere, maybe on yours or Keith S build log, about spare spars being store on deck. I'm not sure if that is in the same location. I don't have a copy of the original plans so I get much of my inspiration from yours and Keith S's build (I hope you don't mind). Any insight you might have would be much appreciated.

By the way, great work in your Terror, and the Victory (I think) in the background of many of your pictures!

Thanks Daniel (and yes it is Vicky in the background). The spare spars were located in the waist of the ship between the fore and main masts- you will see some black L shaped brackets on my decks in some of the pics. It looks like barrels stored at the after end, but it does look a bit fuzzy in places. No problems with using any of our ideas as this is what the forum is for and it's thanks to the other Keith (keith s) i managed to clear up some grey areas of my own.

Keith

Good evening all. It’s been a few days since my last post and I’ve been busy making metal parts for the davits. Today I started installing them onto the ship. 

22743F01-B42C-408D-900E-4DEAC88FBBE7.jpeg

72CB8049-EBB7-42D2-BEB7-88FAD0439B26.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Now that fall is upon us here in the states, I'm getting the bug to start work on my own Terror again. After digging out all the boxes, I started working on another small boat, one of several I plan for this model. I still have not received my Terror book by Dr. Betts, I guess has not been published yet, according to Amazon. I had hopped to wait until the book was release to start the rigging...but…

New images coming soon.

Well, what I thought would be an easy project, turned into a week of nights building a small boat. It’s good to be back building again.

F9258122-B205-4CEC-BD8C-F3C2E57465B7.jpeg

7E285B95-1ED0-42AA-967D-CCF3723CD91B.jpeg

A73E3FBF-8861-4608-9A4D-F58D74DB325D.jpeg

A36C0824-E2EA-48FD-8558-2D21FFCBB182.jpeg

5F50A076-0D33-4F62-BA21-F99111C369DA.jpeg

Is that the Master Korabel model boat? If so, nice job. It's tricky. I wish I had built one before I started building the main ship. Originally I wanted to discard the kit planking and try to make mine more realistic. But I couldn't make heads or tails of all the "Spiling" and "stealers" and stuff, and I didn't want to use my model as a guinea-pig. I did sort of a half-*** job tapering my "Terror" planks but it was hard graft. Once I built the Master Korabel boat, I had a much better idea of what the shape of a garboard strake would look like, and the way planks are tapered and curved. It's just like a model ship, but in ultra-miniature. 

I've two more medium sized ones to go, plus a smaller one to use as the gig, plus a "model shipways" larger one, which will be the barge, which goes together the same way but does not have pre-formed strakes. I will be building small boats for at least the whole of winter.

I don't work on my model in the short Summer we get here, and I am anticipating at least another year till she is finished, or even as near finished as Other Keith's. 

On 10/9/2021 at 7:11 PM, Keith S said:

"Is that the Master Korabel model boat? If so, nice job. It's tricky. I wish I had built one before I started building the main ship. "

Keith, so good to hear from you. I too have been busy during the summer, but as things settle down for the season, I'm wanting to get back to building.

Why yes, as a matter of fact this is a Master Korabel ship. I am planning on building several. As you know, the Terror had 12 of such small boats. Right now I'm planning on making 6, two on the fore deck and 4 (2 sets of stacked) for those stored at the stern. We shall see, as you said, they are tricky to build. I'm currently working on my second one, which is going better now that I understand all the steps. This time I have not glued the rib template to the boat which will make it a lot easier to remove once I finish the planking. Seriously, these little boats are a pain in the ....

Daniel

They are a pain, but it's also really cool the way they fit together. I'm not making quite as many as you, because I am going to use the two smaller canoe-sterned whaleboats from the kit. They will be upside-down, so the lack of detail underneath won't be visible. I'm using a model shipways kit to build the largest boat. It's built up pretty much the same way as the Master Korabel ones, except the planks need to be tapered and shaped by hand- they are not laser-cut. What I'm going to do is build it at the same time as a MK one, and copy the general shape of the strakes. I will end up with four Master Korabel ones, the Model Shipways one, and the two smaller whaleboats, which only adds up to seven, but I will be thoroughly sick of boats by then!

• 1 month later...

Well, it’s been a busy fall with little time for working on the Terror.  The only thing I have accomplished are these small boats, just 5 of 12 I have planned. Today I have more time to work on the ship so more updates coming soon. Thanks for stopping by…

AC1F7FD8-7F8A-457A-93AC-6FBC05A8FE9B.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

This week I was able to build the fore mast to the 1:75 scale based on Lee’s book, Frigate 10th Class. I’m happy with the way she is turning out. Base coat of white applied today and some detail. Next step, the steel bands and the rest of the detail. It feels good to be back in the shipyard. Also built the dolphin striker from Lee’s book.

6E3AFED3-BAC4-4827-8F6A-B000FDE5454C.jpeg

Edited by DanielD