scribed deck caulk lines

I'm currently working on the Atlantic kit from Bluejacket Ship Crafters. Forward progress on the hull is presently in irons on account of lack of knowledge in figuring out how to darken the the caulk lines scribed on the 1/32" thick deck panel. The deck finish desired is a light wood deck with darker but not necessarily black caulk lines. Tried the instructions which say to use an oil stain to achieve a light colored deck on test pieces but it darkens it to mush even when i try to wipe it off immediately with mineral spirits. I know I'm doing something wrong, just don't have the solution per se. 

69ABDCB2-7998-4ACE-B5E9-3F12791402B2.jpeg

Completed builds - Atlantic

I would use it as a guide and apply thin planking over it. That way you could get a more realistic butt pattern and highlight the edges of the planks with a number 2 pencil to simulate caulking.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Hi Jim, I noticed that technique on  the planking forum, but when I researched a photo of the Atlantic's deck the planking appeared to my guesstimation about 4" wide;  at

1:96 scale of the kit that would involve planking 1/64" wide, way over my novice skill level although the number 2 pencil to highlight the scribed caulk lines sounds like a good answer. Yes?

Thank you,

Angelo

One of the joys of model building is dreaming up innovative techniques to solve problems.

if this were my model, I would seal the deck with a very light coat of thin clear shellac.  I would then paint the deck with thinned acrylic paint, the color of the caulking.  When the paint has dried, scrape it off with a single edged razor blade, leaving the color in the scribed deck seams.

Try this on some scrap first!!

Roger

That sounds better than what I've done. I went ahead and penciled in and topcoated with 2 coats of a clear matte polycrylicfinish before I saw your reply Roger. Being that this is my first model ship kit at this level of quality detail, (my only other 2 kits were from the Scientific Model Co. and a breeze compared to a Bluejacket kit of which I revel in the challenge it affords me) I'm going full speed ahead to the next step and look forward to when I display a finished post of Atlantic.

And Jim, sorry I missed yours too. I am satisfied with the results presently of the caulk lines but my next ship will improve on this one.

Angelo

On 10/9/2020 at 11:43 PM, Roger Pellett said:

One of the joys of model building is dreaming up innovative techniques to solve problems.

if this were my model, I would seal the deck with a very light coat of thin clear shellac.  I would then paint the deck with thinned acrylic paint, the color of the caulking.  When the paint has dried, scrape it off with a single edged razor blade, leaving the color in the scribed deck seams.

Try this on some scrap first!!

Roger

I agree with Roger. It could be any two non-compatible finishes. For example, enamel first, then acrylics. Or, acrylics, then enamel. The ides is that when you wipe off the caulk color, that solvent won't eat at the underlying finish.

Nic