Decaling carrier deck.

I'm currently building Trumpeters 1-350 Intrepid. The deck requires extensive decaling. I have applied  the base coats and am now ready for decals. Is it recommended to clear gloss coat the whole deck before decaling and then flat coating after? I see a lot of plastic  or any modelers doing that before decals.

Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

16 minutes ago, reklein said:

I'm currently building Trumpeters 1-350 Intrepid. The deck requires extensive decaling. I have applied  the base coats and am now ready for decals. Is it recommended to clear gloss coat the whole deck before decaling and then flat coating after? I see a lot of plastic  or any modelers doing that before decals.

Bill

You're always best glossing before decals, and if there's lots of moulded details on the deck, consider using a decal setting solution too. Once your decals are down, gloss over them before any weathering and a flat coat.

James H, Thanks for the reply,you've confirmed my suspicions. I know about the solutions and I have them ready to go.. Theres a lot of decal work on a carrier deck and it sounds like you have experience.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Model railroaders have a lot of experience putting decals on uneven surfaces. You might look at some of those forums for tips. Be certain that you have a clean smooth (glossy) surface before applying decals. Clean smooth plastic is OK, even if it has some texture. The decal setting solution actually dissolves the decal and as it dries the decal settles into textured surfaces like paint. Don't even think of trying to reposition a decal after applying setting solution!

If you place decals on a satin or flat finish you will get fogging under the decal - looks awful (I speak from experience).