HMS Victory by Roberts Orca - Corel - 1:98

Robert:

No problem. A nice filling and sanding will solve this. And you will cover everything. I am pretty sure you learned a lot, and that will help you with the second planking.

After seeing the picks, I will insist you to take a break. Minimum 2 days. And then do not attempt to do more than 4 planks a day. 2 each side. Calculate, measure, cut, bend and glue; but the most important thing, be relaxed and enjoy.

Get a gel CA glue, it helps a lot to dose the correct amount. Use just a small drop on the plank-bulkhead contact area. Use white glue for the rest.

I think you tried to do too much too quick. But it is good it happened with this first layer and not with the second.

And smile, because after this, you will enjoy much more your build when finished!!!

14 hours ago, Eugenio Treviño said:

Robert:

No problem. A nice filling and sanding will solve this. And you will cover everything. I am pretty sure you learned a lot, and that will help you with the second planking.

After seeing the picks, I will insist you to take a break. Minimum 2 days. And then do not attempt to do more than 4 planks a day. 2 each side. Calculate, measure, cut, bend and glue; but the most important thing, be relaxed and enjoy.

Get a gel CA glue, it helps a lot to dose the correct amount. Use just a small drop on the plank-bulkhead contact area. Use white glue for the rest.

I think you tried to do too much too quick. But it is good it happened with this first layer and not with the second.

And smile, because after this, you will enjoy much more your build when finished!!!

Eugenio you are a good friend. Thanks for your encouragement. You're right, I've learned a lot very quickly. I'm going to take a few days off from my build to soak in what I've learned. And when I'm ready to resume I'll be sure to think through each step. I'm not a big fan of the CA glues. I've used them a lot in building model aircraft, but this is so different. I might go back to using Elmer's. I don't know. Need to think about it.  Thanks again for your advice and support,  it means a lot.

Best regards,  Robert. 

7 hours ago, Helli said:

Hello Robert,

As the previous speaker said, I´m sure you will make it.

It`s very easy with filling and sanding. The planking looks very good and with patience the result will convince you.

Helli

Thank you Helli. I know it will work out with a lot of sanding and filling. I'm going to rethink the whole process and make sure that I have the planking widths and tapers figured out before I even start. I appreciate your support and encouragement. Best regards,  Robert 

I've resumed planking the hull. 

Many mistakes, but many lessons learned. I'm looking forward to getting the first layer of planking finished so I can concentrate on applying everything I've learned on the walnut outer layer. I know I need to slow way down. 

In the meantime I have added a new friend to my hobby room.

Say hello to Mr. Byrnes 😊

20210221_161945.jpg

I now have the starboard side completely planked. Gave it a thorough sanding. Many areas that need filling. I still have a ways to go on the port side. I'm going to take my time and use this as practice. Then I'll take the time to lay out my walnut planks properly. Here's a few photos. Have a great day.  Robert 

20210223_163856.jpg

20210223_163842.jpg

20210223_175224.jpg

20210223_175244.jpg

20210223_175231.jpg

20210223_175252.jpg

It looks very nice Robert.  A good smooth surface will help a lot with the second planking.

Take your time. A pair of planks on each side per day is enough at the beginning. That will allow you to check a correct positioning, alignment, tapering and glueing.

I am sure you feel much better today!!!

1 hour ago, Eugenio Treviño said:

It looks very nice Robert.  A good smooth surface will help a lot with the second planking.

Take your time. A pair of planks on each side per day is enough at the beginning. That will allow you to check a correct positioning, alignment, tapering and glueing.

I am sure you feel much better today!!!

I can't believe how much I've learned. This is a very challenging ship. Thanks for the encouragement Eugenio.     Robert 

My hull is completely covered in planks. Not the prettiest but it's a good start. Still have a few planks to put in around the poop deck.

I'm probably going to cover the poop deck with deck boards before I close it up with the hull planking. I installed the stern gallery frames and faired them in. I redrew my port openings on the starboard side and drew in some reference lines for position of the walnut planking and wales.

Here's some updated photos. 

Have a great day,   Robert 

20210225_153024.jpg

20210225_153049.jpg

20210225_182416.jpg

20210225_182429.jpg

20210225_182439.jpg

20210225_182501.jpg

20210225_182508.jpg

Nice job Robert! 

Have you glued them poop deck?

If not, please do not forget to remove the deck beam there.

It helps as support, but the height of that area (between the two decks) will be not correct if you keep it.

Check the attached pick of my Victory. I didn’t remove it and it is not correct.

Best regards.

981FDAB1-A6B5-4F57-B258-32521CF741BA.jpeg

12 hours ago, Eugenio Treviño said:

Nice job Robert! 

Have you glued them poop deck?

If not, please do not forget to remove the deck beam there.

It helps as support, but the height of that area (between the two decks) will be not correct if you keep it.

Check the attached pick of my Victory. I didn’t remove it and it is not correct.

Best regards.

981FDAB1-A6B5-4F57-B258-32521CF741BA.jpeg

Thank you Eugenio for pointing that out to me. I completely missed that. Yes, I already glued everything in. But, thank God for dremel tools.😁

With a steady hand, and some filing,  I believe I have it where it needs to be. The diagram is from "Anatomy of the Ship" by John McKay. 

Have a great day,    Robert 

20210226_082752.jpg

20210226_082523.jpg

20210226_082453.jpg

Put the planking on the poop deck.

Sanded the port side of the hull smooth. I need to go back over it with some filler. Lots of cracks and mistakes. I cut a few more cannon ports. And I couldn't resist. I set one of the cannon barrels in place for a look. 🙂  Here's some photos. 

Best regards,   Robert 

20210226_154552.jpg

20210226_154557.jpg

20210226_154602.jpg

20210226_154625.jpg

20210226_154720.jpg

20210226_155224.jpg

20210226_155252.jpg

• 1 month later...