HMS Victory by Roberts Orca - Corel - 1:98

While there was still easy access to the upper gun deck, I went ahead and put in the shot garlands. That was fun. 😳

Now I have the quarter deck beams shaped and fitted. I'm going to hold off on gluing them in. I feel like I'm forgetting something.  Anyone want to give 2 cents? Please, any advise is welcome. Thanks,  Robert.

20210201_143050.jpg

20210201_143824.jpg

20210201_152323.jpg

20210201_152418.jpg

20210201_152455.jpg

20210201_162729.jpg

20210201_162738.jpg

27 minutes ago, Eugenio Treviño said:

Very nice work Robert.

Congratulations!!!

Thank you so much Eugenio. 

I know that you and I are building the same kit. I was curious about the 20 cannons they gave me to build. I couldn't find any reference as to how many of them go where. Do you have any thoughts on this? Appreciate your feedback.    Robert 

Robert:

I have just posted in my blog some pictures showing the cannons in place. 6 on the upper deck and 14 in the lower deck (7 each side on the smaller ports without port lids).

Those ports are smaller .8 x .8 cm.

Yours will look nicer with the brass holders you installed.

Best regards,

Eugenio.

Learning as I go. I've been studying actual photos of the cannons on the victory. And I discovered originally I didn't include the eyebolt on the bottom center. I'm assuming for attachment to the deck for pulling the cannon backwards. Or for just stabilization. Anyway after gluing those extra eyebolts in, I realized that I glued them in horizontally not vertically like they are in the photos I've seen. So I'll pull them and redo them.  Another issue I'm having is the accuracy of the Corel plans. I'm not trying to build an exact replica for my first build, but I don't want to make obvious differences in certain details either. Having said all that, I noticed on my plans, it shows 2 sets of ropes with blocks holding from the rear of each cannon. But in historical photos they show only a single fastening ring on the deck behind each cannon. Can anyone give me perspective on this? I've seen modelers do it both ways, does it matter? Not trying to be overly critical, just wondered. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Following are a couple photos. The first is from my Corel plans sheet #6. The second photo is from The Anatomy Of The Ship, The 100 Gun Ship Victory by John McKay.

20210204_090728.jpg

20210204_090759.jpg

9 minutes ago, Roberts Orca said:

Can anyone give me perspective on this?

Not an expert,  but I have never seen two tackle on the rear like that.  It is the in-haul to haul the  gun inboard.

I wouldn't be surprised if Corel got it wrong.  it wouldn't be the first time.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Robert I hope you are doing great!!!

I noticed the same thing. The difference between Corel’s plan and pictures of the real thing.

I just followed the plan. As you know my interest is not related with the historical accuracy, so I did what looked nicer to me. So discard the way I am doing it as a reference.

I hope someone can give us good information regarding the way they were rigged in 1805.

Keep up the great work. I like a lot what you are doing. Your lower deck looks fantastic!!!

19 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Not an expert,  but I have never seen two tackle on the rear like that.  It is the in-haul to haul the  gun inboard.

I wouldn't be surprised if Corel got it wrong.  it wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks Gregory. I'm brand new to the hobby. Tackle, that's what it's called.  Appreciate your feedback. I'm enjoying the process and looking at old photos. In all Corel made a very nice kit, but when it comes to certain details they seem to have missed the mark. Not that every detail is so important for my first build. But this seems a bit big deal to me. Thanks again. I'll stick to a single "tackle" for the rear.

18 minutes ago, Eugenio Treviño said:

Robert I hope you are doing great!!!

I noticed the same thing. The difference between Corel’s plan and pictures of the real thing.

I just followed the plan. As you know my interest is not related with the historical accuracy, so I did what looked nicer to me. So discard the way I am doing it as a reference.

I hope someone can give us good information regarding the way they were rigged in 1805.

Keep up the great work. I like a lot what you are doing. Your lower deck looks fantastic!!!

I certainly hope you don't think I'm being critical of your build. I absolutely love what you are producing. A fine work of art. I'm just trying to make decisions about how much realism I want in mine. I'm going to be painting mine. But probably leave the hull natural walnut. I love the look of wood. Like yours. Beautiful. I look forward to seeing your ship continue to come alive. Thank you friend,     Robert. 

28 minutes ago, Roberts Orca said:

I certainly hope you don't think I'm being critical of your build. I absolutely love what you are producing. A fine work of art. I'm just trying to make decisions about how much realism I want in mine. I'm going to be painting mine. But probably leave the hull natural walnut. I love the look of wood. Like yours. Beautiful. I look forward to seeing your ship continue to come alive. Thank you friend,     Robert. 

Robert, by no means I am considering that !!! I appreciate all your comments and I know exactly what you mean. Please feel free to let me know all your opinions.

I just wanted to emphasize that I am being a little bit eclectic with the build, not paying too much attention to historical accuracy or trying to make an exact replica. In my opinion, these kinds of kits are not good enough for that purpose. A scratch build is the way to go if that is your desire. Or invest in additions to the kit and in tools to modify the kit. And I am not interested now. Let's see on the next build.

Additionally, positive feedback is a treasure. If oneself is humble enough to accept positive feedback and learn from it, greatness will be knocking at the door. I like to see people doing things better than me (your cannons is an example), because next time mine will be better !!! Unfortunatly I built them before you !!!

Have you checked how many HMS Victory build logs are in the site? Have you checked how many have been finished ??? I want you, Nicolas, Emmet, the few others with active Corel´s kits build logs and myself to be successful and finish the build enjoying the process. There are many that never got there.

Let’s keep this fantastic friendship and build the most beautiful Victory's ever !!!

7 hours ago, Eugenio Treviño said:

Robert, by no means I am considering that !!! I appreciate all your comments and I know exactly what you mean. Please feel free to let me know all your opinions.

I just wanted to emphasize that I am being a little bit eclectic with the build, not paying too much attention to historical accuracy or trying to make an exact replica. In my opinion, these kinds of kits are not good enough for that purpose. A scratch build is the way to go if that is your desire. Or invest in additions to the kit and in tools to modify the kit. And I am not interested now. Let's see on the next build.

Additionally, positive feedback is a treasure. If oneself is humble enough to accept positive feedback and learn from it, greatness will be knocking at the door. I like to see people doing things better than me (your cannons is an example), because next time mine will be better !!! Unfortunatly I built them before you !!!

Have you checked how many HMS Victory build logs are in the site? Have you checked how many have been finished ??? I want you, Nicolas, Emmet, the few others with active Corel´s kits build logs and myself to be successful and finish the build enjoying the process. There are many that never got there.

Let’s keep this fantastic friendship and build the most beautiful Victory's ever !!!

I love your perspective. Yes, let's build beautiful victories. But most importantly, this friendship. 

Thank you my friend,     Robert.

Here is one method that looks pretty good:

Your rope looks a little heavy.  You might consider scaling it down a bit.  There are those who will refer you to tables and establishments, but I like to go with what looks good.

image.png.d7e284ea1f7668ee4c497cd4c3e596b2.png

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

Thank you Gregory for your assisting me on my cannon details. Much appreciated. 

I'm moving on. I glued in the quarter deck beams, followed up by gluing down the quarter deck. Now I'm planking again. Thanks to everyone who has reached out to me. I'm so enjoying this. Here's some recent pictures. Thanks for stopping by, 

Best regards,     Robert.

20210205_151031.jpg

20210205_151011.jpg

20210205_151119.jpg

One of the things I've learned about model ship building, is that looking forward during construction is very important. At least from a beginner's perspective, it's proven to be a good thing. During my planking the quarter deck,  I noticed that bulkheads #10 and #11 needed the tips removed. Fellow modeler Eugenio had previously warned me of this. Thankfully, I was able to remove them prior to covering the deck. I looked forward to see what else I could get done prior to fitting the poop deck. There is a steering wheel to contend with. After viewing the plans, then looking at other references, I quickly realized that the steering wheel provided in the kit is WAY TOO BIG. I don't know what Corel was thinking here. The steering wheel is clearly just under the poop deck next to the mizzen mast, according to actual photos. But the wheel in my kit stands taller than that. So I'm thinking about building my own.  Makes me wonder how many other things are incorrect in this kit. It's a bit frustrating, but it's probably a good thing.  I'm learning much from my research. If anyone knows where a guy can get an actual  1:98 scale steering wheel,  I'd be very thankful.  Good day to all.  

Robert. 

20210206_075703.jpg

There is a nice kit at Syren Ship Models, but at 24mm it may still be a bit too big.

However, if you take a look at the downloadable instructions, they may help with making your own.

Cornwall Model Boats has a nice selection, but shipping may be a little slow these days..

― Jimmy Buffett

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

There is a nice kit at Syren Ship Models, but at 24mm it may still be a bit too big.

However, if you take a look at the downloadable instructions, they may help with making your own.

Cornwall Model Boats has a nice selection, but shipping may be a little slow these days..

Great info Gregory,  thank you.  Yes, it's a little too big still. Mine needs to be in the 12 to 13 mm size. I'll see what I can make. I need to hire some smart flea's. 😁