Cutty Sark by rfolsom - Billing Boats

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen;

Nenad;  I'd be glad to read the plans when the time comes (2018 perhaps? :P )  I could also provide high resolution scans of sections, within copyright limitations, of course.  My plan on the deadeyes, etc. is to finish installing the pre-drilled pinrails, then the white paneling above, followed with the caprail and outside railings.  Then I will install all deadeyes, followed by all belaying pins.  By the way, after looking at Lou's photo no. CS030, it looks like there is an additional mizzen/deadeye mounted forward of the others, in comparison with Campell.  I have a note to Lou to see what he thinks....

~Bob

You have eagle eye Bob, and your note remind me to research and study carefully all little holes which have to be drilled for eyes etc etc on all decks and rails before starting making my pin-rails

Thx

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Bob, the details on your Cutty get better and better. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

looking very good Bob.........I use those same eyelets as well.   I have them in different sizes........can be used for all kinds of things  ;)   the pin rails look nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob, the photo of your deck and pinrails looks great!  Really nice work.  I also like your waterways.  I wished that I had done mine that way.

I used those eyelets for the same details!  I think that they are great.  They also make great portholes.  I found them in the scrapbooking supplies, lots of different sizes and in black.

Thanks for the nice words, everyone.  Popeye and Marc;  I did indeed purchase these eyelets in various sizes just for my portholes on the deckhouses.  They only became my mooring pipes because I could not find a solution for making the ovals... :huh:

A little progress with the pinrails;  they are made in 5 sections each side, and I'll be progressing from aft forward.  Filling the seams between each section is going to be an interesting challenge, as these rails are stained natural wood.  (BTW, I'm not too happy with my stain choice (red mahogany, too dark) but the poop deckhouse, hatches, heads, and companionway are finished this way, and I'm not about to remake them!!)  I can live with this....

Photos show the first section in place, with test fit of belaying pins in last photo.  When all pinrails are installed, I will then install the white paneling above.  I was originally going to pin the rails in place from the outside for additional strength, but these first sections seem pretty solid, due in part to the "stanchion rail" immediately underneath.  We'll see....

post-3909-0-79036800-1395773150_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-93625000-1395773157_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-02542900-1395773168_thumb.jpg

Nice decking and I like the way the stanchions are put.  You are doing a great job.  Did you sand or use a scraper on the deck?

David B

The pinrails look great! I think your choice in stain adds a little variety there. Great work.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thank you, Patrick.  Everytime I see your posts I look over to my Niagara, sitting right next to the Cutty, and hope that She'll turn out at least half as good as yours!  Congrats on a splendid job on a fine model of a great ship! :cheers:

~Bob

Bob, I'm in for the biggest challenge of my modeling career with this Connie. We look forward to seeing more progress on your Niagara.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Very nice Bob ! And very fragile.!

Give us more photos of your progress soon !

How you resolve inside curve of bilwark? Seem tricky to me.

During nibbing I was thinking about solution of makeing pin rails little thicker (+0.5 mm) and maybe little wider (+1 mm) than in C-plans. Must do some visual testing about when time comes.Thinking, not big visual diference, and making them a bit larger will give some strenght, and a little easier way to equip them with dead eyes pins and other stuff

Anyway, keep extraordinaty work !

Nenad

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

pin rail looks nice Bob.......the color is not a bad choice at all!   I like the way you did the margin plank as well....deck looks great  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thank you, Nenad.

The more I add to the bulwarks, the more amazed I am at how strong they are becoming.  As I mentioned earlier, I may decide to strengthen the pinrails by pinning them to the bulwarks from the outside, but I am not sure this will be necessary.

As far as the inside curvature goes, this is why I started aft and am working forward.  The first three sections (aft to fore) have little to no curvature;  The fourth section, that has all the deadeye holes for the foremast, only required a little sanding to fit the curvature.  the last, and foremost section I have not started yet, as it will be the most challenging with the increasing curvature.

Right now, I'm getting ready to install the most complex part of the rail, the part that has all the deadeye holes for the mainmast.  11 cm x 6 mm, I had to drill 17 holes for the pins, 13 for the deadeyes, and 2 for the davits. (Not that big of a deal, but tedious nonetheless.)

Pic 1 shows the raw blank with holes

Pic 2 shows same after some shaping

Pic 3 shows mock-up with some pins and prototype deadeye.

Pic 4 is overview of shaped piece.

post-3909-0-69205500-1395784986_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-57999100-1395785018_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-74780800-1395785030_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-62989000-1395785071_thumb.jpg

true........but it's what you choose in the end,  that counts.   three major elements:  functionality,  law of probability,  and imagination go into making a model.......I'd say,  you covered the bases quite nicely  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Dentist work !

So many holes !!!

And shapes

And joy

I am glad that you are back in the saddle

post-4738-0-72171600-1395819458.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Bob, some pictures are missing from your log. Will you be kind to repost them ( via edit-full editor) ?

I know, long and booring job, I have just passed it

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Bob, those are going to be some very busy pinrails! They're looking great.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thanks, Patrick.  I hope everything will fit and be true to scale...

Continuing with shaping, staining and mounting pinrail sections.  I use a clear triangle to sight through to deck landmarks below to make sure port and starboard sections mirror each other as exactly as possible. I also insert wires through the deadeye holes into their mounting holes in the waterway to check angles.  The stray piece of wood seen under the pinrail is just the handle of one of my homemade sanding sticks...

post-3909-0-83196600-1395984994_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-23652400-1395985002_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-64705700-1395985008_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-35650600-1395985017_thumb.jpg

Good and precise work, Robert. It is a pity that close-ups are not clear

Your pictures #1 and #2 put me in the blue ... I saw behind scene words " elevation of inside ..." and this remember me ....

Anyway, go on!

PS

Do you plan eventually to try to get teak colour of pin rails and panel section on any way ?

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad;  Thanks for the kind words.  As for the colors, I would have to remake everything I had already fashioned, as this stain penetrates too far into the wood to practically sand out.  I will have to live with the darker color of red mahogany.  I don't think it will look bad, but it's probably not too accurate.  Anyway, color accuracy is not as important to me as accuracy of physical dimensions and physical details...

~Bob

PS;  I'll try to take better pictures;  the macro function on my camera is somewhat finicky...

Edited by rfolsom

Not much done lately;  main rail is two-thirds done;  I alternate back and forth between port and starboard to keep everything symmetrical (as possible).  I touch up bulwark, stanchion, and waterway painting as I go.  In the photos you can see the wavy-ness of the rail;  this is due mainly to my uneven deck.  I can (and will) live with this.  You can also see the holes drilled into the waterway sides for the deadeye rods.  This is not accurate, (they are really anchored to the bulwarks) but will suit my needs just fine... :dancetl6:

post-3909-0-35989400-1396398106_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-02442100-1396398115_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-51034100-1396398125_thumb.jpg

they look really good Bob!   very nice indeed  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Here's a test fit of four belaying pins right next to each other;  I went directly off of Campell's plans, and with the best pins within scale I could find, they still are very large for this small area...  They are stable within the rail, but I cannot foresee how I will be able to belay lines to them; at least to all of them.  This area is immediately forward of the foremost shroud of the mainmast.  My picture is of the starboard side, with the larger hole to the right for the foremost deadeye of the mainmast.

In retrospect I should have only tried three pins in this area;  I cannot find (yet) a photo of this area from the real ship, so I don't know if it's even accurate outside Campell...  Any thoughts?

~Bob

post-3909-0-77884500-1396414782_thumb.jpg