Cutty Sark by rfolsom - Billing Boats

Bob

I collected 37 MB - 147 photos from main deck inside ( Google, Flicker, and other sources) Would you like to send them for you ? Maybe in some of them are details you are looking for.  If you need this, send me your e-mail in PM

Also have over 80 photos of fore and aft deck inside

Nenad 

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Bob, I don't think they're too close. There are spots on your Niagara too where some of those pins will be pretty close to one another as well.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Bob, what is yout oppinion 

What will be there on our models

Pinrails, as on C-plans

post-4738-0-69022500-1396439437.jpg

or 

ladders as in Greenwich

post-4738-0-28737600-1396439436_thumb.jpg

There can`t be both at the same time ?

Confusing , isn`t it ?

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Looking good Bob.  Have you checked out Model Expo or Bluejacket for smaller belaying pins?

David B

David;  When I first purchased this kit, no fittings were included, so I ordered several belaying pins in small quantities that I could choose from.  Here are the four candidates; two in brass, one in boxwood and one walnut.  Although I liked the "daintiness" of the rightmost brass pin, it was far too short for my rail thickness, which is close to scale.  The two wood pins were too squat and plump, so I chose the leftmost pin to order in bulk. (sorry about the picture quality, it seems my camera has good days and bad days with it's macro function :huh: )

post-3909-0-95758100-1396477661_thumb.jpg

Moving on to the rail sections that are drilled for the foremast deadeyes, I noticed an unevenness between holes on opposite sides.  Moving the starboard section forward 1mm squared up the holes with the opposite side, which also checked out with deck landmarks (i.e. the inner border of the fore deckhouse coaming lines up with the outside of the sixth belaying-pin hole on each side).  The pre-drilled holes in the waterway for the deadeye poles also now aligned at the correct angle with their corresponding rail holes. (Note the needle).

However, this left a 1 mm gap from the previous section on the starboard side, which will need to be filled and (hopefully) camouflaged.  Even though each section was made at the same time and exact lenght with it's opposite, this shows how errors can crop up; especially along a curved surface.

Forget "Measure twice, cut once"...  More like "Measure five times, then again 3 more times from a different angle, test fit, measure again 4 times, test, cut or glue, and then be prepared to fix your mistake anyway!" :piratetongueor4:

post-3909-0-81892500-1396481335_thumb.jpg

perhaps a sliver of wood can be fitted in there..........yea,  I've had this problem once of twice,  even with kit supplied parts.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It happens, Bob

little attack of impatience

sometimes happen anybody

or all times ( to me )

Deep breath, double or triple Hmm , cigarette or two if you smoke, little scratching your head, and just fix it

Considering in mind how precise and in scale you go , maybe to make a new ?

Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

excellent work- i bought the billings kit back in 1995 when it was still die-cut- oh the joy of laser cutting!!!!! i used the original decking pieces but planked over them and built up the deckhouse panelling with uopto 3 layers of venneer strip also replaced the billing winches and wheel with sergal/ mantua fittings and altered the innacurate anchor deck.

keith

Bob, it's looking good. Some filler or a sliver of wood should make the minuscule gap disappear. The brass pins looks like the ones that MS uses. Good choice on it too. They darken nicely in some Blacken-it.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Bob, did photos I sent pass mail servers ?

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Work on the main rail continues, slowly;  starboard aft sections of the rail were angled down too much after gluing;  attempting to fix with some clothespin clamping pressure and some wet tissues in order to coax them into alignment. 

BTW, Tissues were not wet with my tears...(yet) B)

post-3909-0-08504400-1396985223_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-12237000-1396985322_thumb.jpg

Edited by rfolsom

Keith and Patrick;  thanks for looking in and the nice comments;

Keith;  I may have to pick your brain when it comes time to purchase the winches and pumps.  Do you have any pics of your Cutty?

Patrick;  These are indeed the same pins that are supplied with the Niagara;  actually my Niagara came with the WRONG pins, and I had to send email pics of the plans to Model Expo showing the size difference...  Seems like the newer Niagara kits are shipping with incorrect part numbers for their pins....

~Bob

Edited by rfolsom

Bob, keep on good work

Tears can soften things, and maybe "teared" them will be much easy to mount

BTW

do you know which is the most powerfull water force in the world/space/universe ?

Woman tears

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hi, i usually log on here at work but will try and get some deck shots and load them into the comp here for you- time permitting and no boss looking! I also scratch built an anchor windlass and new whisker booms as billings just used a two rail stantion for the booms.

Keith

That is a force I do not like facing..

So do I, and to say I am very happy that Admiral and Princess are really tough and strong (their poor husbands ...), and only on some really really hard times I saw their tears (close family loss funerals)

But, both of them have tongues long more than a mile ... and sometimes when they are angry, make noise as F-16 afterburner ...  ;)

But, I clean my ears very well, on one ear get in, on another get out, nothing stayed inside ...  :D

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Good fix Bob. It will not be visible. There will be pretty crowd on this place ....   some day ....

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

a bit of stain and varnish will disguise that nicely- been there myself! wish i had done the bulwarks the same as you instead of just using the billings method. On the subject of fittings, yeah the fittings came as a seperate entity which you had to buy seperate from the actual kit itself hence why there was none in the box. As mentioned though the billings winches were very basic and innacurate hence the replacement ones i got in.

Keith

P.S. hope you didn't mind me posting the pic on your log of my cutty.

I agree, but cut that way will tend to show a visible grain change. with everything that will be incorporated into the area though, it won't be noticeable. it's a good fix, none the less ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Keith; I don't mind at all your pictures;  good to see them!  Popeye; I tried several times to cut a piece with the grain, but the piece just broke apart every time, so I opted for plan B. 

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.  I'll be posting some pictures of my next mistakes in a couple of days... :D

O.K, ready to address next mistake.  So blindly following Campbell when working on deck planking some 18 months (?) or so, ago;  I erroneously came to the conclusion that the forecastle deck was not nibbed, and the edges were covered by a covering board continuous with the main rail.    Now that I will be facing this problem soon, instead of ripping out and remaking the completed forecastle deck, with underlying structures (pig pen, paint locker, windlass with associated center pawl and carrick bits), I have decided (very reluctantly) to go with a covering board as on the aft deck.  This starboard side board has been roughly shaped, but not installed yet. 

I should be able to live (and learn) with this.

post-3909-0-97668300-1397206300_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-43461600-1397206308_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-32834000-1397206317_thumb.jpg

Bob, nice work with the shim on the rails. It's already pretty close to invisible. The covering board on the decking looks great too. Fantastic work.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thanks, Patrick;  I wish I didn't have to use this "covering board"; but I don't have the determination of those like my friend Nenad to tear out alot of work, redo,  and keep going...  oh well... there's still nibbing detail on the main deck, and the next build will be better! :10_1_10:

~Bob