Now that I'm using a computer drawing program rather than ink on mylar, I've changed the format for BlueJacket kits, beginning with the MORGAN cross section.  I'd like some observations on the concept, good or bad.  Essentially, the general arrangement drawings and (probably) rigging plans will be printed full scale on large sheets as before.  But all of the subassemblies (deck houses, stacks, guns, boats, fittings, etc.) will be on 11" x 17" sheets in a spiral-bound packet.  All subassemblies will be full size or identified by scale (if different from original)  Schematics will not be to scale (although they will normally be close). 

My rationale for this is that, because the kits now contain a large number of laser-cut and photo-etched parts, they are intended to be built in subassemblies.  The sub-assembly drawings contain alphanumeric codes for each part, which can quickly absorb a lot of white space on the large sheets, making them hard to read.  This also allows me to incorporate color images of the completed assembly, thus providing a visual of the color schemes of each item that might not be clear in the general arrangement drawings.  Of course, the plans are accompanied by a construction manual with step-by-step instructions.  The last couple manuals I wrote were about 60 pages each.

I'm including a few samples of completed or mostly completed drawings for you to get a feeling for what is being done.  In order:  construction and assembled fore house on WYOMING, stack drawings for OREGON, general arrangement drawings for the tryworks on MORGAN. 

MSW1.jpg

MSW2.jpg

MSW3.jpg

MSW4.jpg

Edited by alross2
ADDED DWGS

I like it.  11x17 copying is much simpler to come by than large format, so for those who like to make copies to cut up as patterns to cut the wood this will be great.

Don't personally see much if any downside to doing it this way.

Hello, Al. I'm all for making improvements to instruction manuals, though I am not personally familiar with BlueJacket's manuals. My only comment, for whatever it's worth, is that 11 x 17 is on the large size; on my small desk that would take up about a quarter of the work space. Of course that might not be an issue with some or perhaps even most other builders.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

52 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Hello, Al. I'm all for making improvements to instruction manuals, though I am not personally familiar with BlueJacket's manuals. My only comment, for whatever it's worth, is that 11 x 17 is on the large size; on my small desk that would take up about a quarter of the work space. Of course that might not be an issue with some or perhaps even most other builders.

The manuals are only 8.5 x 11 and also spiral-bound.  Here are two facing pages from the OLYMPIA manual, which I wrote about 15 years ago.  The regular sheet size for WYOMING plans would be about 36" x 66"!

wy_20210119_0001.jpg

wy_20210119_0002.jpg

Looks good, along with a color shot, it should make building easier. A few 3D diagrams like for your earlier Olympia figure would also be helpful, for getting everything placed.

I like the change!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I think this is a great idea. I find the typical large, folded sheets of plans difficult to use and they are often completely cluttered with sub-assemblies also making them difficult to read. Smaller, spiral bound booklets are a welcome change. The Vanguard instruction booklets and small size sheets of plans by Chris Watton for his models are fantastic. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild