Le Rochefort by No Idea - 1/24th Scale - First POF Build

9 minutes ago, bdgiantman2 said:

This ship model has been a delight to follow. I have come to like seeing those frames being visible, it would be a shame to cover them in my opinion. Those frames are so realistic and most public has no clue this is how real ships were made back then.

Brian D :)

Hi Brian and thanks for your really nice comments.  You're spot on about how people have no clue about how ships were made and they probably have no interest either nowadays.  I too really like the frames of this ship but this little vessel has always been a learning curve for me.  I need to know that I can plank the hull as it should have been and I would like one side finished so that my family can see the ship without having to imagine it.  The port side however will stay bare from the whale down so that the frames will always be visible.   Cheers Mark :) 

I've spent the last few days marking out the strakes which is pretty time consuming.  I wanted to stay as close to the plans as possible and try and achieve a nice even look too.

I like to use automotive lining tape as it's nice and flexible - the only issue with this sort of tape is that it doesn't stick very well to the wood.  So after using tick tape and a planking fan to mark out the master frame I started the job.  My planks work out to be 9.9mm wide on this frame so I'll cut them to 10mm as my measurements are probably out a bit.

Lining the stern

IMG_0379.thumb.jpeg.0f1a1f43ef721e9bc0d02ed9a6e38923.jpeg

IMG_0381.thumb.jpeg.f9685d9bc4241758fff2a4b1517ce58d.jpeg

IMG_0380.thumb.jpeg.a52e72528b6cb8a2a51d231dee7a403d.jpeg

Then the Bow

IMG_0392.thumb.jpeg.c32137ea5e225d9e993545239dd513ad.jpeg

I have one stealer in the stern straight off of the garboard plank and one drop plank towards the bow.  So it's just as the plans suggest.

I had better start cutting some planks now and get on with the job

Mark

IMG_0393.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Hello Mark fantastic job, I see you have made very good preparations for the planking. This work still exists for me and I have the greatest respect, it won't be too long until then so I'll take a close look at everything.
Greetings Tobias

Edited by Tobias

Auf der Werkbank:

Corvette La Palme (L'Amarante) von 1744 POF nach Plänen von Ancre

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/32046-la-palme-by-tobias-136-pof/

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29843-le-coureur-1776-by-tobias-caf-148/

LE ROCHEFORT - Hafenyacht von 1787 1:36 von Tobias (Monographie von ANCRE)

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

Hello Mark fantastic job, I see you have made very good preparations for the planking. This work still exists for me and I have the greatest respect, it won't be too long until then so I'll take a close look at everything.
Greetings Tobias

Hi Tobias and thanks mate - I like to draw every strake as I firmly believe that if I can draw them I can make them.  Nothing worse than trying to make major changes half way through the planking.  My marks are very much a guide but they do let me see if I'm roughly on track.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Great marking off in preparation for planking Mark and it must have taken a lot of time to get that just right. I look forward to seeing  how you progress with the planking even though its a shame to cover up such fantastic framing. 

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

• 2 weeks later...