HMS Beagle by Pete D - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:60 Scale

Started to plank the deck. This is where I made my first error . I chose the thicker lime wood , as opposed to the veneer that I was supposed to . I had already glued and clamped it all when  I realised the mistake . So I left it as is , I figured it would not affect anything in the grand  scheme of things

IMG_1562.JPG

Looking good Peter...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I've got this model on the shelf...will be next when I finish the Perseverance which is still on the workbench!

I'll follow along for the ride.

Cheers.............Fernando :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Placed the bulkheads , lined and coated them with matt varnish. I attached the doors and windows to the relevant bulkheads . and finally got to attach the bow and stern decks , strapped them down to attach securely . Rubber bands work wonders on areas that are not always squared

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

Looks like you've made a great start to the build and are make fine progress.  I'm doing the same build but having a few issues along the way.  I don't find the instruction too helpful so I tend to just use them as a pointer.  I'm very interested to see how you progress so will keep a close eye on your build log.

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

I have finished the first planking . I used a jig I made to bend the planks beforehand , so were ready for use when the time came . I attempted to follow the pattern as in the diagrams , but got lost in the detail I think . Bow turned out a bit messy , stern looks okay . I will attempt to repair the damage during the sanding process

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

Finished the repairing and sanding of the hull . I confess I used some woodfiller for the larger areas  before sanding , but guessed as this planking would be covered by another layer it would not be seen. I think it turned out ok . Ready to start the top layer of planking soon.

IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

On 2/4/2021 at 7:22 AM, The Gimps Chimp said:

Looks like you've made a great start to the build and are make fine progress.  I'm doing the same build but having a few issues along the way.  I don't find the instruction too helpful so I tend to just use them as a pointer.  I'm very interested to see how you progress so will keep a close eye on your build log.

Chimp

You seem to be doing great on your build . I try and follow the instructions then see if the video is of assistance . Between the 2 options I try and work it out

Sanding done . Had to repair a few places as some of the top layer wood is really brittle , and there seems to be a variety of finishing on the wood. some do not have as good an edge . I'm starting to fit the  ribbons on the outside . To make the bend I used the same template I made earlier that bent the bulwarks and the first planking . Left it in the winter sunshine to dry out before I used it

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

Finished the ribbons . Now the build is starting to look like something . Had a small issue when a part of the ribbon that was cut out at one of the aft portholes , fell inside . Took forever trying to locate it , lots of shaking etc. Eventually managed to blow it out using compressed air in a can .

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

Here's the work in progress with the painting . Took a little longer than expected . Painting everything black then makes it really difficult to get the white going , takes extra coats.....maybe would have been more expedient to just paint them separately. It all worked out in the end

IMG_1613.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG