What do you use your mill for ?

Hi Martin

I have seen a couple of threads, including the one you mentioned, that relate to Milling.  Funny thing is that on none of them do I see and pictures of actually milling a part, or mention of parts that have been milled.  I am thinking that actual examples, even pictures or parts made by milling is what Cap'n Bob was hoping for in this thread.

The only actual use I have seen, thus far, is for drilling. 

So, unless something comes about to change my mind, or I win a lottery, milling is probably on the back burner for me

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Pete,

Thanks, that is helpful. 

I am curious. Are you a scratch or kit builder?  Do you find yourself using the mill often?

I appreciate your input.

Richard

Richard

I've used it for milling bits out of frames, keels, the flats (and quite a bit else) on capstans, making sheaves in bitts.  Others use it for milling blocks, deadwood, bits and pieces for cannon, ship's wheels.  I'm still discovering uses for it.  If I didn't have one, no great loss but it is very useful for duplicating parts exactly.

In the scratchbuild logs, search under "milled" or "milling" or "mill".  Their usage isn't as prevalent in kits as most parts come "pre-made" or "pre-shaped" and just need some final work. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Harvey,

It would seem that turning them on a lathe and then silver soldering on the flanges would work.. but only if they are being painted.   I'd open a thread here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/15-discussion-for-a-ships-deck-furniture-guns-boats-and-other-fittings/ and show us what you need.  I'm sure there'll be lots of ideas.

BTW, I'm a slow learner also... chewed up a small pile of wood and one finger in the process.  No permanent damage except to my ego.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

When you talk about milling items like blocks, bitts, etc. it sounds like very small parts.  I did not realize that a mill could do really tiny work. I will do the mill, milling.... search your recommended.

Richard

Richard

Richard.....

I started the Sultan kit and never finished...moved to the Triton X-section I am working on now

For the X-secion after the keel and keelson slot were cut have not used the mill much....but I have done other things with it...(making and repairing some broken metal parts around the house for me and my family) Using it for other things besides

model ship building.....

Would be hard to justify the cost for my model making alone....

It helps that there is no "Admiril" here to say "NO" to any purchased......or is that a bad thing.... :huh:

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Richard -- you might just take a look at Blue Ensign's log of his build of the Pegasus -- he uses his mill for some very nice results.  And, well, I'll even admit that on the basis of what he's done I sunk some hefty cash into a mill of my own. 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Mike,

I apologize for my rant. I deleted my post because I just looked at the pictures again, and I've completely mis-interpreted them when I made my drawings. Correctly made cannon will be considerably easier to make, and should eliminate several of the problems I've had.

I guess I'm proving the adage we had at work-there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over. :D

So (as they say) "Back to the drawing board" :P

Thanks,

Harvey

Harvey,

That's the thing about the forum.  It allows letting off steam and then getting some input from others.

It would really be great for me to see pictures of your milling process if that is possible. I know it would be extra work but there are some of who are interested in milling and I, for one, am still hazy about it.

Just a thought.

Richard T

Richard

Chuck has nice "how-to" on milling blocks.  Gaeten (gbordalou) uses a mill on his Le Fleuron.  A pretty usefull tool overall, but it really shines at production runs of things. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

looked through site including articles and could not find Chuck's how to.  If you can give me some direction to the article I would appreciate it.

Wish you had not turned me on to Gaetens Le Fleuron build.  GASP!!.  Left me speechless. 

Thanks,

Richard T.

Richard

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

Thank you, that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, a step by step view of building a model ship part.

Thanks,

Richard T.

Edited by rtropp

Richard

• 2 months later...

Since this thread started many months ago, my comments may be too late regarding the purchasing decision.  However............

I did buy the Micro Mark heavy duty mill a year ago and many of the accessories.  This machine is a delight to use and IMO is worth the price.  It is accurate, has decent power, decent finish where it counts and good features. 

The key factors in my decision to buy it include:

price value verses features (the options I bought cost more than the machine)

a reputable distributor

R8 spindle (I think there are more options for accessories)

the rotary table which can be mounted horizontal and veritcal

variable speed dial

heavy duty tilting column

As others have stated, you need to consider why you need a relatively expensie machine.  For me. I need to be able to mill metal for making other machines, jigs and fictures, highly accurate parts for wooden ships, and repetitive production.  For example, I just made the inside apron for the Swan class sloop, where the forward cant frames sit, which required precise slots and a mirror cut on the starboard side.  Plus I needed a steel quick change tool post for my 10' engine lathe.  This mill handled both just fine.

As with all machine tools, there will always be jobs that go beyond their capacity, even for Bridgeports.  So, one needs to consider needs verses budget, that is, what you expect to do with the machine.  Hope this helps you and others a bit.

Duffer

Hi Duffer -- glad you like your new milling machine.  I bought the smaller version from Micro Mark this summer while it was on sale.  I went back and forth trying to decide between it and the larger one that you bought.  That R8 spindle was a major plus for the larger machine, since, as you say, lots more accessories fit it.  But, when I thought long and hard about it all, I decided that at most I would be using the machine for modelling purposes almost exclusively, so went with the smaller -- and cheaper -- model.  (A quick footnote:  how many times have I gone with the less expensive tool saying that I wouldn't use it enough to justify the higher price, only to end up buying the more expensive version when I found out how useful the tool was?????) 

A question, though:  how is your machine for vibration?  What is your setup like?  Did you have to bolt it down to a workbench?  I ask because I am currently building the workbench I plan to set my milling machine on, so I haven't actually used it yet, but have thought many times, "here is something where that milling machine would be just the right thing."  If it doesn't have to be bolted, then maybe I could set it on the floor for a quick job, like milling a sister block, eh?

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

I'm assuming this is one you bought:  http://www.micromark.com/microlux-micro-milling-machine,9683.html

Bolt it down by all means.  It's not vibration that will cause a problem but the general handling of it.  If the table is off to one side, it's easy to knock over.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That's the one I bought alright.  Thanks for the advice -- I'll try to step up the work on realizing my dream of having a good looking AND functional workbench (I've studied the pictures that Wacko and others have posted of their benches, along with countless plans).  Until then, I'll just keep cutting out sister blocks & thimbles etc etc by hand.

Oh, and I should mention that I did read your review of this milling machine, and it made me pause for a very long time.  Still in the end, I went with it instead of the larger one.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by Martin W

Prince de Neufchatel

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would bump this topic as I have a couple of pics showing an example of what can be done with a miller that would be awkward to do by hand.I made this rather small jig to produce glazing frames for the skylight of a Royal Caroline build(log coming very soon).This jig took literally 10 mins from start to finish.The circular recesses are for glue clearance and the central slot is to provide clearance for tweezers,shown in picture for scale.The boxwood is actually 0.7mm square and the jig enables me to make two at a time.The long sides will be cut after removal from the jig.Tamiya masking tape provides the hitec clamp.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-06242400-1384536512_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-50943700-1384536547_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

No problem,my pleasure Richard.If there is enough interest,I may start a new thread illustrating what can be done and showing what simple and not so simple jigs can be made.If people may find this helpful then let me know.

Kind Regards Nigel

Jigs are always interesting, so a new thread would be great, Nigel!

Tony

Hi Nigel -- That's really exciting.  The ladder jig is enough to make me want to get my own mill set up right away.  I'll definitely be checking in on your milling jig, since I want to learn how to use my mill and what for.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Cheers Martin

This jig is for skylight frames,see finished pick in my new thread.You could make one very similar for ladders.I will be making the 'rolls royce' jig for inclined ladders a bit later so I can use steps and stringers of scale thickness as opposed to the overly chunky ones supplied with kits.

Kind Regards Nigel