King of the Mississippi by Adrieke - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:80 - with LED lighting

thanks Randy :)

finishing more of the railing  near the stairs. need to check but i think thats the last bit  so now i cna varnish the second deck and then glue the third one on :)

post-622-0-66836300-1367155718_thumb.jpg

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Adrieke,

Superb stairway pic! :10_1_10:

Makes a fine looking section.....

Cheers,

Jim

:cheers:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Chapeau

post-447-0-91421500-1367177576_thumb.jpg

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

thanks Jim, Sjors,Wim and John :)

for the comments and for the encouragement . dont think it would have turned out liek this without you guys on here :)

Adrieke, perfection is something one strives for, but alas, can never fully attain. If you are happy then that is what matters most. I personally think the stairs and railings look great! I think when all is said and done, you will be very pleased!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

thanks robbyn and yes i am pleased with them as soon as i fix the little error , glue on the strip i forgot i took off to install it and paint the dowel in the glass beads :)

thanks Wayne :)

thanks Anja

was going to put the first coat of varnish on but  didnt have time . hopefuly tonight :)

Looks great - Where do we buy tickets for a cruse

Well I'm finally finished getting all caught up and all the way through this log, many others to get caught up on also. So I guess I'll quit lurking...

What an adventure. The stairs are awesome but honestly I think moving the windows so the shutters fit correctly was a BOLD move that really paid off. To me tearing out is harder then when something doesnt work to start with and I just need to rethink the method or approach. Moving the windows took alot of fixing, but it was REALLY worth it.

That from above photo of the dualing circular staircases is an awesome photo. Great shot!

Its great when hard work pays off. Just remember, if it was easy everyone would be building them.

Oh BTW, I'd dry fit the Fock rather then mess wth all the dinky fiddly bits of the KoM too. The riverboats seem to me to be very heavy of the fiddly bit side. Which I guess is good practice in patience.

thanks Randy :)

finishing more of the railing  near the stairs. need to check but i think thats the last bit  so now i cna varnish the second deck and then glue the third one on :)

attachicon.gifDSCN0359.JPG

If to put a varnish on details in such condition as they are shown on a photo, the fleecy surface will turn out: the varnish "will lift" the insufficiently well polished fibers on a wood surface.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

@tophog thanks i think Sjors is selling them on his bus together with the ones for Johns kom :)

@TMC  it was my only option to make them fit . that or remove all the windows and remake them smaller . so i went to easiest way :).  yeah i actualy printed that one out to hang at my desk at work :) although its bothering me now was i can see soemthing i forgot and that one of the railings isnt aligned properly so more work todo there :). i am learning fast that the main skill to learn is patience.

@garward. all pieces already have been sanded before fitting  but my procedure is to sand with the finest paper i have then use a slightly damp cloth to wipe of the dust then varnish  then redo again. wil be a challenge to get to all bits around the staircase though but i ll do my best :)

Edited by Adrieke

no worries Garward and thanks for looking in  :)

its a clear varnish but i ll have to look when i am at home to see what it says

i know its probably not the best but i have used it on the first deck so will keep using it for now.

small progress today :

added the doorknobs :

post-622-0-34461000-1367412371_thumb.jpg

also working on shaping the 3rd deck stateroom. still figuring out how to add the lights to the back 4 rooms

post-622-0-93909300-1367412373_thumb.jpg

the walkway to get on board is constructed from 3 pieces of plywood. i decided to use the left over walnut strips to veneer the whole thing :)

post-622-0-43835900-1367412375_thumb.jpg

thanks Sjors.  hmm honestly i didnt even think of that. since the doors are near a corner i should have made 3 of them open th eother way i guess :huh:

Adrieke,

Good progress!  :10_1_10:

And the door swing issue is interesting.  Many years ago my wife and I built a house..... and since we're both left handed we had the doors hinged in the ways that made most sense to us.... :D :D :D

Confused many of our right handed friends.

As for prepping wood surfaces to paint, I have a tack rag that is the last thing I use.....seems to pick up most of the fine dust with no introduced moisture that would tend to raise the grain.

Cheers,

Jim

Adrieke, I have all the doorknobs on the left side. The doors are swinging in to the cabin, otherwise you surely will fall of the stairs :P

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

As a matter of fact, to my believe it makes no difference whether the knobs are at the left or right side of the door. It all depends on the interior of the cabins which is unknown/lacking in this built.

Regards,

John

<br />

<br />

Adrieke, John,

Are either of you going to install screen doors?  It can get hot on the Mississippi in the summer and it does not appear you have air conditioning..... :D :D

Cheers,

Jim

thanks Jim . had a search for tack rag on the web and seems to be ideal for this purpose will have to look for one this weekend :). Jim if you look real good you can see the screendoor through the window in the doors :piratetongueor4:

thanks for the comments and the suggestions Sjors and John :)

i did put interior walls in and the doors are right next to it so it would make sense to make the doors swing agaisnt the wall.

then again these walls are mostly not seen even with the lights on so i might just leave them like they are :)

tack rags are used alot in automotive refinishing. I'd check an auto parts store that sells auto paint.

The doors look good, right or left handed which even the case may be.

Oh on the lighting, is it going to flicker to simulate the oil lamps that were probably used in period. I thought I saw somewhere that someone had installed a light setup that emulated candle/lamp light. Just curious.