USS Constitution by Avi - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1:96

Forgot to mention. It’s very easy to get used to the idea that the bulwarks are strong and resistant. Once you dremel/plane/chisel/gouge/sand them down to ⅛” thickness or so, they’re much weaker. 

Be sure to hold them with a hand near where cutting or filing. Most of the time I remembered. At one point I forgot and snapped a small piece off. Nothing some CA couldn’t handle, but it’s much easier to remember and not break anything. 

Next struggle: how to get the gundeck ports exactly right. Since they need to be exactly bordered on top and bottom by the plank strakes, and will have a white band painted to boot, positioning becomes really important. As far as I can tell, they are not parallel to the keel, nor to the waterline angle, but have a bit of a convex curve to the line, with the lowest point around midships, curving upwards quickly towards the bows and more slowly towards the stern. This seems to fit with both the profile blueprint and the architectural diagrams in “Anatomy of the Ship”. 

Did others find the same curve? How did you manage to measure and lay them out correctly?

Used inside calipers to measure the 4 spardeck gunports forward of the opening in the bulwarks. All have the same width, all have the same height (or so small as to be immaterial). Kept my calipers open at that width, and filed left and right sides of all 8 (or those that needed it) until the calipers just fit inside.  Then set the calipers to the height, and filed the bottom of the few that were too short until the calipers just fit inside. Then used square calipers to get the bottom right and left corners to be good.

These now are precisely right. Will move on to the spardeck gunports aft of the midships bulwark openings. Then I will deal with the openings for the bowsprit and catheads. 

I haven't decided yet about using their recommended 1/32" stock to line the inside of the gunports. If I do, I will need to file off some more on the sides and bottom of each.

Spardeck ports are basically done. Used internal calipers to transfer each port, as described above, then files to get it to the right width and height. The width appears to be consistent across all of the ports, but not the height. 

A few things I haven’t done yet:

1. Decided if I will line them. If I do, I need to add some more width and height to make room for the wood lining. I will decide after doing the gundeck ports. 
2. sand then down. Not much point if I might need to file them larger for step 1. 
3. The last port on the port side, aft side of the port, angles up towards the top of the bulwark, making it too large. If I decide to line the ports, this will be fine; if not, I will fill it in and sand it down. Either way, I need to wait for a decision on step 1 first. 

On to the gundeck ports. First, I’m hoping to get some comments on my question above about how to align the gundeck ports. 

D3561B60-2C98-4F9B-9653-41478F3BE3FA.jpeg

Edited by Avi

Yes I believe they curve upwards slightly.  Could you make a copy of the plans and rubber cement the strip of the gun ports to the hull where  they should be and then cut the ports out?

Hope this helps. Keep up the great work.

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

That was a genius idea @mort stoll

Look at the attached picture. I cut the tip of my template out at the top of the bulwark (ie bottom of the caprail). For the bottom, I cut the bottom loosely well below the gunports, and then cut out each gunport with a nice sharp xacto knife. I can just clip it to the hull, aligning the top of the cutout to the top of the hull, and just mark out the gunports. 

F2C0FE09-0C31-4C43-83B8-F3738BDD8174.jpeg

the bridle port is almost all the way at the bows, and so distorted by the curve, so I didn’t cut that one out. But it should be easy to extend the line just for that one port. 

Edited by Avi

Gundeck gunports nicely marked, thanks to the @mort stoll template system. Proceeded to begin to cut out the gunports. 

AAF8614A-A3C4-42F7-9ED2-32042E844206.jpeg.b3ed992dce191e79442cd5be865bd0f1.jpeg

The manual recommends using a 1/16” drill bit to drill in each corner and the centre of each gunport, then connect them with a keyhole saw. I did that, then realized that my saw is just slightly bigger. Fortunately, I had put my drill holes inside of the outline, with some room to spare, expecting to file the ports up to size. I went back and used a 3/32” drill bit, which did the job nicely. I then cut between the holes with my keyhole saw. That popped a small misshapen block of wood out from each. Then I filed the ports. 

7D9DEB7C-0970-40F2-82B8-49E59E6639B3.jpeg.d349cb281a6e0f8036f8207c012fcbdc.jpeg

be careful to leave a little extra room so you can expand the hole if needed. 

so far, I have done only four on each side. They aren’t remotely finished. They almost certainly are too small, not to mention in desperate need of sanding. My plan is to get all of the ports to this state, and then I will file them until one of the gunport lids just fits. 

Even messy and small, I included a photo to capture the progress. 

A1E9FE3F-7B26-4254-A02B-07339F637850.jpeg.806a330146f9a0ebc18cfd5f27458fe2.jpeg

On 11/17/2021 at 12:45 PM, Avi said:

I thought about that, but I was concerned the profile was a projection onto 2D, and doesn't account for the z-axis curve; if I curved it back in, it would be misshapen. Or maybe it wouldn't.

Perhaps @MrBlueJacket knows about the layout of the profile and its projection?

Yes, it is a 2-D projection. The gunports are all the same size.

Gunports all filed out. Basically flat file for the size and sides, careful usage of square file for the corners. 

Looking closely, these are not quite done. I still need to sand them down, both for fine touch of shape and for smoothness. 

4C17B694-3F00-41BB-9B00-C09B415D8D19.jpeg.f2f781f28cc049840172516fef243ab8.jpeg

One interesting point is the last “port” on each side, which isn’t really a port at all, but the doorway into the quarter galleries. It doesn’t appear on the plan profile, but does on the deck layout. The width is somewhat less than a gunport, using the deck plan it comes out to 7/32”, which I transferred as is. One of them came out slightly larger, but as it is a doorway, and will be behind the quarter galleries, I don’t care. To calculate the height, I filed the bottom of one down until a bit below the level of the gunports, which should be close to the gundeck, then upwards a reasonable amount without hitting the spardeck or weakening the wood in between the doorway and the gunport opening above. I then measured it and transferred to the other side. 

I would have liked to make it exactly ¾”, which at 1:96 scale is exactly 6 feet, but didn’t have the headway. 

Then again, the bottom actually is not level with the gundeck now, but with the extra “hump” of wood left athwartships at the stern. So I might have room to file these down further and get my full ¾” (or closer). I need to read ahead to see how the “deck” surface of the pre carved hull, the gundeck itself, and the extra “hump” come together. 

Having reread the manual, that “hump” is the ⅛” I left “above the gundeck”. I assume that is to ease constructing everything at the stern. Either way, the gundeck clearly is at the level of the top of the block of wood (which fits with the conveniently pre existing camber), so I will file those two doorways down further, hopefully getting a decent height. 

Done. The bottoms of the doorways are just above the top of the wood block deck area, which should leave just enough room for the decking itself, and a bit of a door sill. And they measure out precisely at ¾”, scale equivalent of 6’. No idea if that’s what it actually was in 1812, but I’m happy with it. 

On to sanding, then it’ll be time to learn how to use the paints. 

Edited by Avi

One last picture before I start with painting. I’m really liking how nice this looks with the gunports!

A33F21B8-90AC-4846-875A-47D67EECAD6A.jpeg.f0bc51de4a63dea2a4c451562ce948db.jpeg

I’ll be following @MrBlueJacket’s suggesting of priming and then painting the hull before planking and coppering. A few coats of primer, lightly sanded in between coats, directly on the wood, then the paint. Black on the inside of the bulwarks and outside above the waterline (“topsides”?), so that any gaps between planks look like pitch in the seams, and copper below the waterline, so any gaps don’t show at all. 

I’m using Vallejo acrylic Model Color paints and will be hand brushing everything. I have their thinner, so I’ll have to experiment to get the right viscosity. I hear a lot about 2:1 paint:thinner, or even 1:1. I also have to figure out whether to thin the primer, and if so, at what ratio. I’ve been browsing the topics on painting at MSW, lots of interesting info, nothing definitive for me though. 

Hi Avi

Nice hull!

You could consider using a sealer. If it is a water based one, it will raise the grain. Sand it back lightly with 400 grain, reapply, lightly sand again and you have a smooth sealed wood surface. This will reduce the number of coats needed but as acrylics have poor coverage and depth of colour, you ll need many coats.

Thin to a consistency of milk. It does not matter if it is too thin, as long as you use the Valejo primer, but avoid thick paint - it will cause may issues. 

Any imperfection will be 100 times more visible after painting so now is the time to correct these. 

Good luck, have fun painting your hull

Regards

Vaddoc

Thanks for the detail @vaddoc

so you recommend a sealer and a primer? Or the sealer instead of the primer? It was @MrBlueJacket who said he always uses primer but not sealer, at least on the hull. He does sand lightly in between coats, too. 

> thin to a consistency of milk

whole milk, 2% or skim? Each has a different consistency. 

i think your point is that if I make it too thin, within reason, it just means more coats, but no other downsides. If it’s too thick, then I’ll have many issues. 

also, do you thin primer? I’m guessing same consistency target as paint?

finally, any particular recommended sealers?

Thanks!

Don't worry too much Avi, just experiment! Take some wood and paint it, seal it, prime it, you ll figure out what works for you. Have another look at the tips thread, should give you lots of info.

• 2 weeks later...

The experiments were a good idea. 

no pics to post for now. I wiped the hull extra clean with microfiber cloth, then put on a coat of sanding sealer, let it dry, and sanded it with 400 grain. It was really interesting to see how it brought up the fibers and grain. I sanded one side, then brought it to my wife to compare the two sides. Was pretty cool. 

i decided on only one coat of sanding sealer here, as it is all going to be under the planks or copper. 

i added a single coat of Vallejo Medium Primer on the entire outside of the hull, and the inside of the bulwarks. I plan on sanding it after it dries, but as it says it takes 12 hours to cure, I’ll let it sit a day. 

I had to experiment a bit with thinning. At first I thinned it 50/50, but it gave barely any coverage at all. I remembered that it is supposed to be the consistency of milk, and realized that the primer itself already is that consistency. Further, it says on the bottle that it can be loaded into an air spray can as is, so I guess it already is pretty thin. 

i did the rest of the first coat without any thinning, got much saner coverage. It still isn’t a smooth grey cover, which surprised me as it is unthinned primer, so I guess it needs another coat. Tomorrow I will sand it lightly and add another coat. After that dries, I’ll give it another light sanding, then paint. 

I’m happy to hear thoughts about what to expect after a coat of primer on top of sealed wood. 

Edited by Avi

• 2 weeks later...

Picture after first coat of black paint on topsides and interior. It’s taking some experimentation to find the right mix of paint and thinner, but as this will be covered with planks, it’s a good place. 

it clearly needs to dry, a light sanding, and a second coat. It doesn’t *really* need it, as planking will cover everything, but it’s good practice for ahead when precision will count more. 

You’ll see that I decided to paint the interiors of all of the gunports on both decks black. The manual is somewhat confusing, and implies that it might be white, but the current ship clearly has black in the pictures, I like the look, the manual wasn’t clear, and we don’t have any colour pictures from the early 19th century anyways. 😃 

This isn’t my usual location, as you can see. Inclement weather, had to work indoors. It’s a good thing I’m using acrylic paints, and I put plastic sheeting to protect the table. 

90803D11-F4B7-43A9-B2E8-285C14E45B72.jpeg

Second coat of black, and two coats of copper (second coat of copper still drying). 

It looks like it could benefit from a third coat of copper, but since this is just the extra hiding under the copper plates, I will not bother. 

Both the areas - black and copper - could use some wet sanding of very high grit. I will get to it next week (take advantage of Christmas to New Years quiet time). 

I accidentally touched the stem with the black paint. I could sand it off, but it’s a hard angle, and since it will be covered anyways, it doesn’t matter. 

Side note: I really enjoy seeing the copper flakes in the paint. 

212A14CB-1F83-4437-A93D-DA121C9A2499.jpeg

Well I tried sanding to smooth down the paint. It didn’t go so well. Fortunately this will all be covered with planking or copper, so the blemishes don’t matter, but I would like to understand why, so I can get it right when it does matter. 

I tried wet sanding the copper and the black with 2000 grit wet. I moved very gently in circles, using only light thumb pressure. Basically trying to smooth out where there is buildup of paint, or raised anything (might be dust that got in). It smoothed it beautifully, but also removed paint, to the point where I could see the primer or wood underneath. That definitely wasn’t the goal. 

I will post a new thread to the painting techniques forum. Open to answers here as well. 

As I prepare to plank, it’s a long new journey, learning about some of the terms, how to bend planks, spiling, bands, etc

Most of the guides here are for full on planking, ie keel to sheer (or wherever). They mostly discuss separating the section between wale and keel into 4 sections, etc. That isn’t very relevant here, as all of that will be under copper. 

Even above the waterline, though, I’ve found some conflicting info. 

the bluejacket guide states:

> there are no thickened wale strakss

that mostly fits with what is in the guide’s pictures. 

however, it doesn’t sit well with what is in “Anatomy of the Ship”. In multiple places (see picture), it refers to wales (about 5 strakes), thick stuff below the wales (3), thick stuff above the wales (3), and then side planks. 

Not quite sure what the right way to proceed is. Am I looking at 3 distinct thicknesses? Or just 1?

C53B57DF-93E0-40E3-89C0-151E168D2325.jpeg

A89948E9-810C-477F-B042-3F1CCB3EFF50.jpeg

30D99A20-4E27-4FB9-A561-53F473AF3D06.jpeg

> shows 3

do you mean 3 thicknesses @KHauptfuehrer? It looks like there’s a “step” inwards between the wales and the next band up (“thick stuff above the wales”), that next band being 3 strakes. And it looks like there is another between that band and the gunport band. 

is that the “3” to which you refer?

> really is your choice

i know. But the more input I can get on how it really is and was built from experienced smart and helpful people like you, the more accurate I can make mine. 

I’ll add that @ERS Rich was super helpful, shared what the Model Shipways (which planks to the keel, as it is plank on frame) model describes. 

- keel to wales: 4 belts of 9 strakes each

- wale: 7 strakes

- thick stuff above the wales to lower gunport sill: 3 strakes

- gunports: 4 strakes

- above gunports to planksheer: 4

- planksheer (which is sill of spardeck gunports)

- planksheer to main rail: 4

- main rail to top rail: 2

Interestingly, the MS has the following thicknesses:

- 3/32” wales

- 3/64” above the wales (no distinction between thick stuff above the wales, 3 strakes, and side planks above those)

- 1/16” below the wales (no distinction between thick stuff below the wales, 3 strakes, and side planks below that)

so it does recognize the different thicknesses, but treats them somewhat differently. 

I’m very grateful to @ERS Rich for helping share perspective. 

I think I’d like to get at least the wales a bit distinct, even if I cannot quite get the thick stuff above/below to be distinct from the side planks. I definitely will try to do the bands, though. 

Given that bluejacket is plank on solid hull, the actual thickness doesn’t matter, only the relative thickness. I’ll go hunting for some information on the actual thicknesses of the wales, thick stuff, and side planks on the real ship, to determine how much they “stick out” relative to each other. Divide by 96 should give an answer as to how much thicker the wales should be than the bands above or below. 

i may find this to be a fool’s errand, that the difference, scaled down to 1:96, is so tiny that I cannot make it happen. But I’d like that to be a conscious decision. 

I see the wales as being the thickest, the three strakes above that and those above the gunports as being thinner, and the strakes between the gun ports as being the thinnest.   I used 3/32" thick planks sanded down to size for the wales, .020" BJ planks sanded down for the gun streak planks, and .020" BJ planks for the rest. 

360254229_OUTERHULLPLANKINGS.jpg.74719ec29c471449520b6245829431f0.jpg

Edited by KHauptfuehrer

That’s where I was starting to go @KHauptfuehrer, and was looking for that picture of yours. 

yes the BJ planking is 0.02” thick, or about 3/128”, halfway between 1/64 and 2/64 (= 1/32)”. 

i like your plan. So you used the BJ planks as is for the “thick stuff” above/below the wales, BJ planks sanded down further for the rest, and got 3/32” sanded down for the rest. I’m wondering where I will get 3/32” stock around here, or even what to call it. If I had an extra set of BJ planks, I’d even think of just doubling them up for the wales. 

Hi Avi,

I'd call Bluejacket. I'm sure they will be happy to sell you some.

Keep up the great work,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society