Has Anyone Used Surgical Binocular Loupes

My 78 year old eyes are not what they used to be. And after cataract surgery, for which I paid extra for dual-focus (close and far) vision, turned out to be great for far, and crap for close, I've resorted to 3 pair of closeup reading glasses: 3.0, 4.5 and 6.0 diopter. They work pretty well, but require my object to be within as little as 6" from my glasses, not always optimum.

I was watching a TV operation tonight, and they used Surgical Binocular Loupes. A bit of research turned up these on Amazon. Not professional quality, but they give you 3.5 power at a distance of 420 mm (16" although a reviewer says it's closer to 12" which would be better for me, I think).

Has anyone used these or anything like them. My glasses work well, but I find myself hunched over my work in an uncomfortable position. Thought these might work well and preserve my posture and spine.

I have a friend who had lens replacement for cataracts - and paid extra for proportional lenses. They work well for close-up but she needs glasses for distance!

I haven't use the type of loupe you link to. It looks like it would be quite a  bit of weight resting on the bridge of your nose.

My close up vision has been deteriorating for a number of years, and I have some astigmatism. I do use a different form of magnifier, a multiple lens visor. It works well and isn't uncomfortable. It is similar to this visor:

https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Magnifier-Head-Mounted-Binocular-Magnification-1-5X/dp/B07M7H3P95/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwr_uCBhAFEiwAX8YJgaKGKYBCNNWnWEE_WXJ37_cq0yNJZmiRivPrrIzlpNVpI4N6rl3ILxoCHU0QAvD_BwE&hvadid=241934970686&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032979&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13202486322252462774&hvtargid=kwd-339304622&hydadcr=24660_10400764&keywords=magnifier+visor&qid=1616903724&sr=8-3

I have 2 pairs 2,5 and 4X. Working with these is restrictive but you will see more clearly very small objects. Buying too cheap meaning cheap glass quality; well I do not think it will help you very much. One of the important factor is the working distance. It is more natural to work at a greater distance than 12 inches by example. Also you will need more light to see clearly. The best are actually the led lights.

I'm recovering from cataract surgery, 3 and 1 week ago. I have one normal lens in my right eye and a special one for astigmatism in the left. Medicare covered the normal lens, I paid extra out of pocket for the astigmatism fix. I need nothing for distance and +2.5 pair of readers for some closer/finer print. I can sit at my computer without glasses. I use the readers for my smartphone. Outdoors in bright sun, I use plain sunglasses.

Like Gaetan said, good LED lights will help across the board for your modeling. And an Optivisor or similar for fine detailing.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I've used them over my readers and they increase magnification, but you end up working closer to your model. Depth of field gets unwieldy, attempting to insert pins into other parts, etc. Takes some practice.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Looking at the generic magnifier on the Amazon link,  and bringing to mind the anti-pirate ethic here, I see that it would be more ethical and provide a much better product to take the financial hit and buy the Optivisor brand name unit.  Glass beats acrylic even if it is more expensive to get a variety of lens strengths.  It takes trial and error to find the balance between a high enough magnification and a neck muscle spasm.  The brand name unit has room the wear glasses with it.

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

HMS Ajax 1767 - 74-gun 3rd rate - 1:192 POF exploration - works but too intense -no margin for error

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - POF Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - POF Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner - POF framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner - POF timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835 packet hull USN ship - POF timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - POF framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I appreciate all your views. I'm a bit surprised that in the reviews of the medical style binocular loupes, no one has mentioned modeling, only dental and medical use.

I do have an Optivisor, and while it's a quality piece of equipment, I find it very cumbersome to use. You have to lift the hood up to see normally, and it very much limits view. The 3.0, 4.5 and 6.0 diopter reading glasses have been a great benefit in that way, easily seeing above or below the lenses, their extremely light weight, etc. But higher power means having your head extremely close to the work, which is what I'm thinking might benefit from the medical style I posted.

2 hours ago, rraisley said:

I find it very cumbersome to use.

Binoculars are even more.

There are 2 big differences between these 2. 

With an optivisor you have a greater field of view

With the binocular the field of view is much smaller.

Also if you take an optivisor at 2,5 X and compare with a quality binoculars also at 2,5 X, the details will be much better with the binoculars.

These 2 in a way are not comparable; a binocular is a high precision instrument  (not at $ 35) and the optivisor is far behind.

I have a couple of the cheap Optivisor type with plastic lenses. They were OK at first but the plastic scratches easily, and after a while the image deteriorates. Optical glass is much better.

Stronger (higher diopter) glasses are a convenient way to go, but they cause eye strain after a while.

As Gaetan has already noticed, it is important to consider the so called, Working Distance, which means the distance between your eyes and the working area, where the detail is in focus. In the case of a surgeon, this distance is typically greater, since the operator is usually standing next to the table/patient. In the case of a shipmodeler, the person is generally sitting at the table, hence this distance is typically shorter (about 250 - 350 mm in my case). For a long time I have been using a common Optivisor and it works for me. Sometimes I just wipe off the lenses from wood dust with a dry rag or a paper towel, nothing else (the frames are from plastic, but the actual lenses are of glass, I think).

Before you buy anything, measure this distance for yourself and make sure you get your magnifier within this working distance, otherwise it will be very uncomfortable for you to use it, or you'll be forced to stand next to your model, while building it.

Also, usually magnification of 2x is sufficient, sometimes a bit more, perhaps 2.5x, when you are working on a VERY minute details, like rigging and such. (we are not talking here neurosurgery and sewing up minute nerve fibres).