SS Great Eastern myths

Being a genuine card-carrying carmudgeon at age mumblety-mumble, I will here vent my spleen about some continuing myths and misinformation concerning Brunel's - and my - 'great babe', the S. S. Great Eastern, the first being the continuing belief in the 'skeletons in the cell' incident.  It is pure maritime urban myth.  During the ship's construction, a couple of workers went missing.  Instead of the reasonable explanation that they simply wandered off one day, as laborers tended to do in those days, the Victorians, with their penchant for ghosts and the supernatural, the story went around that they had somehow been sealed up in one of the spaces between the inner and outer hulls.  These were pretty tight quarters since the space was only 3 feet, and the din from other riveters must have been appalling.  It was claimed that their calls for help were thus unheard.  The first objection I have is, what about at the end of the work day when things quieted down?  Another major objection to the story is that the hull spaces, or 'cells', were perfectly accessible from the inside for required maintainance by means of manholes.  Emmerson even states that the covers for these weren't installed until, fortunately, just before the 'Great Eastern rock' voyage.  The ship did seem to be dogged by ill luck, but attributing this to ghostly vengeance smacks more of the 12th rather than the 19th or 20th centuries.  I believe that many of her difficulties stemmed from her sheer novelty, plus the fact that her various owners and directors were dumb as dirt.  I believe the first recent report of the story was in James Dugan's mostly admirable account in 'The Great Iron Ship'.  He claimed to have gotten it from a tug captain or some such who was alive at the time.  I think this person was havi ng a bit of fun with 'bloody yank' Dugan.  Several parties, including the author of 'The Big Ship', Patrick Beaver, have made a thorough survey of the Liverpool newspapers during the years of the ship's dismantling nearby, and have found no mention whatsoever any such occurence; as now, any such sensational story would not have escaped the attention of the press.  I suppose the yarn is now a permanent part of the ship's legacy, and appeals to those of a certain mind set, but it should be taken with more than a pinch of salt.  Another much more minor bit if misinformation concerns a picture in wide circulation on the internet which supposedly depicts a 'lounge' on the G.E..  In a marvelous book by Stephen Fox entitled 'Transatlantic', which I highly recommend to liner buffs, in the second pictorial section after page 366, second page in on top, is a reproduction of the same picture identified as the lady's drawing room on one of the two Inman liners City of Paris or City of New York.  If you are at all familiar with the G.E.'s interiors you will see that there is no resemblance; the ceiling is way too low and the overstuffed seating is very much late 19th century.  This kind of sloppy research seems to be on the rise these days.  Anyhow, having gotten that off what I laughingly call my chest, boys and girls, keep your deadeyes in a row - I almost said 'ducks - and happy modelling to all

• 1 month later...

I love a good yarn, of which there are many attached to ships of renown.  I've written a couple myself about a little known canal barge called the Erin - named for the first Captain's wife - that plied the Schuylkill navigation system from Philadelphia as far as Schuylkill Haven.

One time when the mules refused to cooperate, so the story went, Brian rigged two masts amidships and used his wife’s dresses and petticoats as sails. His shirt and pants became spinnakers to ease the boat down the canal with the prevailing wind at their backs and a slow current to assist.  That left Erin to work the tiller in her underwear, steering blindly due to the makeshift sails, while Brian in his ‘long johns’ stood lookout at the bow and shouted back instructions.  Complaints were filed in two townships for indecent exposure. However, the Erin crossed municipal boundaries before a local sheriff or deputy could see the evidence.  All charges were dropped because no two accounts of either the ‘sails’ or the underwear agreed.

Another time when the Schuylkill flooded enough to close the navigation ways, Brian freed the moorings at Reading and guided the Erin into the swollen river.  The bonus for quick delivery of cargo and the penalty for lateness prompted this risky stunt.  Captain and wife worked large oars on either side of their barge and shot the river all the way down to Philadelphia. They rode over every dam on the route like a toboggan, confident the Erin’s double-thick framing would take the stress.  Besides earning a bonus, their record time for the trip was never beaten.

“Back in ’54, as was told to me - others say it was 1857 - my folks were comin’ down from Schuylkill Haven loaded with coal.  They entered the underground passage through Tunnel Hill and it was clear of any traffic at the time.  ‘Bout halfway through, some dang fool of a captain barged-in from the other end. Paw blew his conch and if the other skipper didn’t hear it, he was deaf as well as blind for comin’ into the narrow tunnel when another boat was already there.” 

“The Erin met the intruder a third of the way from the southern end.  The other captain wouldn’t yield, and foul weather moved in from the north.  When the winds grew stronger, Maw felt a strong draft passing through the tunnel. Then she had a dandy notion.  She and Paw brought up the pot bellied stove, took off the griddle and stoked the coal fire with wet wood and oily rags right there on deck.  All the nasty fumes blew into the other skipper’s face and out the south end of the tunnel.  Then Paw threw his oldest, dirtiest long-johns on the fire.  That old union suit could stand up by itself when set out to dry, and the sweaty mess on the fire fanned by the breeze sent an ungodly stench and a cloud o’ black smoke down the tunnel.” 

“The other skipper started choking but still refused to back up, even though his crew jumped overboard and swam to the exit for their lives.  Then Maw raised-up a mighty curse and swore hellacious oaths at the stubborn fool, conjuring horrid weather to bear down on Tunnel Hill.  A tremendous cyclone formed, ripped off the hill top and lifted the Erin skyward with all aboard - lofting her clear over the other barge that blocked the way.” 

“On down the river they were carried by the great tornado, with dark ash and hot embers trailing behind.  Witnesses swore they’d seen a runaway locomotive carried by a whirlwind going past Auburn town before landing in the still waters beyond the port settlement.  And that’s how the tunnel became a cut through the hill that you can see to this day.”

Old Johnny searched for where the tunnel used to be ... and found it, sure enough - taking a picture to compare with a 19th c. engraving of the original tunnel.

1052215813_auburntunnelcopy.jpg.02d7bc5f690c60ae213677715164cf38.jpg2140841378_AuburnCutcopy.jpg.a7221762b71e029c29fdd5b56a964e81.jpg

auburn tunnel copy.jpg

Picture clipping.pictClipping

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

• 3 weeks later...

Brunelrussell to Bonedoctor51: Sorry about the delay, but I have some basic information (lines,layout etc.) from the Science Museum London which I don't need anymore.  Could someone inform me whether we have to do transactions through the  web site or on our own?  Any other information I impart to Bonedoctor51 I will put on line in case anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those Ship-modellers interested in modelling the "Great Eastern", please refer to

the British forum Model Boats.  A gentleman by the name of Bob Abell built a large

model ( 7 ft or over 2 m.)  which was propelled by 2 paddlewheels and screws (props.).

Apparently the BBC sent a crew to film the model sailing at Hoylake, Wirral.  If you

read the MB forum, you'll read Bob reminiscing about this build.   Pollex, Calgary

On 5/14/2021 at 1:45 PM, Ian_Grant said:

Was interested, and came across this at Royal Museums Greenwich. Kind of pricey though. Maybe they have other drawings?

https://prints.rmg.co.uk/products/lines-plan-of-ss-great-eastern-1858-j8703

This interested me as well. You can actually buy a copy of the books that this print comes from. Since it's written by builder who collaborated with Brunel it's presumably accurate. As a source of information for building a model, it would be perfect. However, this is definitely not cheap at $3,600. https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30940625059&cm_sp=det-_-bsk-_-bdp. It would be a book to treasure. 

BTW, if you're trying to persuade your significant other, just say it's only $30 a pound and shipping is free in the US.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 1 month later...

sorry about the delay.  I would love to have any materials for The Great Eastern.  

My mailing address is Louis S Halikman

16915 Gerting Road

Monkton MD 21111

If there is a charge for copying please send a bill and I will send a check promptly.  Thanks!!!

BTW, have you started to build her?  any pictures?  What scale?