Problems with Model Shipways' Lowell Grand Banks dory in Land of the Rising Sun

bbb555

Hello everyone,

Having always been interested in sailboats and wood ship modelling, and with a little more time on my hands recently, I imported Model Shipways' Lowell Grand Banks dory from the States to get started. I've been working on it for the last few weeks (I'm already halfway done so it seems too late to start a build log), but I've run into some issues specific to the model, and now work on it is at a standstill. Where would I post model specific questions at on the forum?

I can't help with your question but am sure someone will. In the meantime, hello and welcome to MSW from the UK.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the problem? I haven’t done the Dory but I have done several other Model Shipways kits. 

The other thing to do is search on the forums for a log of the same ship and put your question there. I know my co-builder of the Flying Fish @Keithbrad80 has built the MSW Dory.

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Hello and welcome to MSW from Russia 🙂  I believe it's never too late to start a log - just show current status of your modelling project.  It would be interesting for many of us to see pics of your build whatever stage it is on.

Best Regards and happy modelling.

bbb555, welcome to MSW. As Dmitriy said, It's never too late to start a build log. It's a lot easier for someone to help you if they can see the area you're having a problem with plus we get to enjoy your work. 

Edited by Keith Black

BBB555.. welcome to MSW.   What the others have said applies about opening a build log and looking at the other logs.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi bbb555,

I built two of these models last year for a gift and enjoyed the build. If you have any questions at all you can start a build log for the entire build or you can message me directly. I’m happy to answer any and all questions, I took a lot of pictures I didn’t post as well so those maybe helpful for you. 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I looked through your build logs, Bradley. I enjoyed all the extra details like the paint, bailer and trap, as well as the nails. I think it will be a while before I can get to that level🙂 Something for me to work towards.

As everyone recommended, I'll go ahead and start a build log and include my questions there. Thank you again!