HMS Victory by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72

Caldercraft makes a great product so it is likely just me and the photo angle.   Was just curious how they compared to the Lees formulas.

Beautiful work!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Masts are now done and permanently mounted.  Including the bowsprit, the masts have taken me just about a month.

Now on to standing rigging.

Regards,

David

Masts 1.jpg

Masts 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Finished the main mast shrouds.  While the instructions say to go on to the rest of the lower and upper shrouds, I'm going to do the ratlines on these first to inject some variety into the work.

Regards,

David

Main Shrouds.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Chris:

Here you go.  It's really a rats nest.  Except for the 11th shroud, this is all two-shroud loops, tied off at the top with black thread.  The manual says to push the knots up, but that's not really practical, so I thread it and then tie it in position.  I also use that to try to manage the alignment of the shrouds as they come up to the mast tie-off.

I used to do one shroud at a time because it made the alignment easier, but the top was really a mess when I did that on earlier ships, so I mount one deadeye, thread it through the top, and then there is a fiendish alignment process for the second deadeye at the other end of the second shroud.

Curious why you asked to see this.

Regards,

David

Top Tie-Off.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Thanks. I did the Amati Santa Maria years ago and had awful trouble with this part. Looked like a big lumpy mess on mine, but yours looks really good I reckon. Also I dont know if its just the picture you took, but yours also look like they have been tarred, which I guess might have been the case on the real thing? Anyway, great job.

Chris:

Not tarring -- just gobs of medium super glue.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 3 weeks later...

Pictures below of completed ratlines on ONE side of the main shrouds.  I've kept them a bit dark because the ratlines are white and hard to see.

I've been working on these for about 2 1/2 weeks, which is an indication of my motivation level when it comes to ratlines.  Probably not alone in that regard.  At this rate, I'll still be working on this ship at this time next year.   :piratetongueor4:

Regards,

David

Ratlines 1.jpg

Ratlines 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

Main mast ratlines now done on the other side.  Slow but steady.  I put them against a black background since they are white, in order to see them better.

You can't see it, but hanging behind the black baseboard is a tablet I bought that allows me to stream TV while I'm working on the model.  Helps on the grindingly repetitive things like ratlines.

Regards,

David

Ratlines.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199
Forgot photo

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

Fore lower shrouds done.

Regards,

David

Fore Lower Shrouds.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 1 month later...

I see from my last post that it's been over a month since that one -- a reflection of a very busy November and early December.

Also a reflection of the surprising difficulty I found in fitting the fore shroud cleats, pictured here (with a white paper towel background so you can see them).  I suspect that my bottle of CA gel may be getting old and not setting as fast as usual, but I found it hard to get them glued to the shrouds so that I could then apply the lashings.

Now to ratlines.

Regards,

David

Shroud Cleats.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Chris:

Thanks for your comment.  No, I didn't do that one.

What are you working on now?

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Sorry I could have sworn you did Bounty. Anyway, I have the Mantua 1:50 Santa Maria heavily bashed and just about to get onto the masts. I decided to leave off the over the top metal

decorations and brass railings etc. as I thought they looked out of place on such a vessel. Most of the metal parts I have replaced with wooden parts I made from various offcuts. I didn't

do a log but will put up pics in the gallery once it is completed. Also pulled out the Amati Bounty that I have that was about half way through some very dodgy first planking. I figure I 

should be able to rescue it and produce a pretty good piece. Also have to finally put a few masts and basic rigging on the Riverboat to finish her off.

Chris.

Chris:

I'm set up to follow any of your logs, so I'll look for the pics in the gallery once you finish.  At the rate I'm going on Victory, I'll finish her sometime late next year.

Best regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 3 weeks later...

One side of the foremast lower ratlines done.  This took me 2 weeks, which is mostly because ratlines are BORING and REPETITIVE.

About to leave for a long trip, so won't be posting again for a bit.

Regards,

David

Fore Lower Ratlines.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 1 month later...

Back from my winter trip and dug back into the foremast ratlines.  Finished off the port side.  Now onto the mizzen shrouds.

Regards,

David

Foremast Port Ratlines.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Finished the Mizzen shrouds.  Pictures include the futtock shrouds and the shroud cleats.  

I did the cleats by first gluing them to the shrouds, then lashing them.

Regards,

Shrouds 1.jpg

Shrouds 2.jpg

Shrouds 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Finished the lower mizzen ratlines, which means I have now finished the lower shrouds and ratlines for all three masts.  Only took about 3 1/2 months 🥵 (subtracting my vacation time), and I have built some entire ships in that time.  Not a reflection of difficulty per se, so much as my lack of appetite for ratlines.

Now I get to repeat the process for the upper shrouds and ratlines, but fewer shrouds so may go faster.

Regards,

David

Mizzen Ratlines.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Very neatly rigged ratlines! 

It may be my crappy color vision, but the cleats look like they are silver and tied with monofilament rather than wood with hemp rope.  I am probably missing something on this, but curious none-the-less.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan:

No, your vision is spot on.  The instructions say to paint the cleats black -- I haven't done that as yet, but brown would be interesting.  As for the ties, they only look like monofilament because of the glue, but they are actually thin light rope.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I am not sure if the cleats would have been iron or wood during your time period so iron painted black may be more appropriate.  Nice work and thanks for sharing your build.

Allan

Here are the upper mizzen shrouds.  I inadvertantly pranged the mizzen and the second mast broke, so I glued it -- but as you can see (in the picture with the bad background, looking aft from the main mast), it was misaligned.  So I used the shrouds to pull it back into alignment, and it came out pretty straight.  Pretty well aligned with the main now.

One of those few occasions when the rigging is functional, not just decorative.

Regards,

David

Mizzen Upper Shrouds.jpg

Misaligned Mizzen.jpg

Aligned Mizzen.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The topgallant shrouds run down through the topmast crosstrees and become the topmast futtock shrouds in one continuous run.  The instructions aren't terribly clear about this.  This is still the mizzen.

Regards,

David

Mizzen Topgallant-futtock.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Finally -- one mast completed.  This is the mizzen, all shrouds and ratlines done.

Regards,

David

Mizzen Complete.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Finished the shrouds on the main topmast and topgallant mast.

And yes, for the sharp-eyed, the shroud attachments for the futtocks are not level with each other.  That's just a goof.  I find attaching those to the shrouds to be devilish, so my latest approach is to put glue on the bar and spray the shrouds with quick-set, then press the bar against the shrouds.  Got them aligned on the mizzen, but missed here.  I'm not worried about it because the ship on display will be viewed from one side (the one showing below), and the other futtock attachment won't be that noticeable.

Regards,

David

Main Topmast Shrouds.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area