What kind of hinge would have been used n an 18 century door? I replaced the white metal door on  my Enterprise and got to thinking the other night, a door needs a handle and some hinges. I based the door on the kit part and left the "casing" proud like a modern door. Making the knob was easy enough, but I am not sure what the hinges should look like. I have looked through Antscherl's "Fully framed series I and II as well as Lavery's "arming and Fitting" They made no mention of door hinges that I could find. I even looked through the three how too books I have and found nothing.  Lots of information on gun port hinges and rudder hinges but nothing about door hinges.

I am tempted to just cut three bits of brass wire and blacken them to represent the hinge barrel. Then I saw on another build a mention of "L" hinges. This sounds correct for what I am trying to do but the only thing I found online was this reproduction hinge :

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/surface-mounted-hinges-forged-iron?utm_source=froog&utm_medium=cse-nc&utm_campaign=gdf&partner=froog&gdftrk=gdfV22090_a_7c472_a_7c4382_a_7cR_d_08AH_d_AH3BQ&gclid=CLPKp5uuvrgCFe1_QgodSScA_Q  

That hinge is designed to mount to the face of the door and the case, my case is proud by about a 64th".  I am thinking of making the "L" portion and soldering it to some wire but I wanted to get some input from some more experienced people. I am not sure if the arm of the hinge should span just the stile or al the way on to the the rails also.

post-326-0-39727400-1374335545_thumb.jpg

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

If it did open inward, runner 63 is correct. However, weather deck doors open outward: think of a heavy sea breaking over the deck. The water pressure would blow an inward opening door open. In the 18th century 'T' style hinges were most often used.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

the " T " hinges are actually called strap hinges and were commonly used on doors in the 18th c. longer straps were used on gate and barn doors. the " HL " hinges were used much earlier and designed during the crusades. the HL was designed to signify " holy land" .

and yes, the door should swing outward. besides the chance of it blowing in, it would also be cramped to open inward.

if you would like to research the hinges further, talk with an accomplished blacksmith. i build colonial reproduction furniture and have a blacksmith hand forge the hinges for me. if there are none in your area, there are many online

let me know if you need help. id love to contribute.

scott

current build : model shipways willie bennett

" Never make a promise that you can't keep , a man's word is his honor" 

Scott I Pollack

Hi.

Not quite on the same subject but.

I have found a source if some very small working hinges.

http://www.jacksonsminiatures.com/12_009.html

Under the label of Mini hindge.

Don't want to hijack this thread but some one might find a use for them.

Regards Antony.

Edited by AntonyUK

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

The story I heard about the HL hinges was that it stood for Holy Lord and would keep witches out of the house.   They must work because I have not seen any (more) witches in my house, since making these hinges for several models.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

thanks druxey. its amazing the stuff you can learn when you want to, useless as it may be.

allanyed , you know, your explanation is probably just as correct as mine. without us being there, we will never truly know!

and finally, antony, you aren't hijacking anything!  im glad you have access to sites I don't and im really interested in researching it. thank  you for sharing that

Scott I Pollack

ok, here is another factoid.  the word keel is believed to be the first word recorded as being written. it was in latin

Scott I Pollack

Thanks everybody. I too love the "useless" trivia that comes up here and elsewhere. I hadnt heard of the HL hinge before, should have installed some of those when I was with my ex.......

Religion comes up in a lot of period construction, a very common common door style, at least herre in the States is something called "Bible and Cross" I learned it as "Book and Cross"

It looks like sometime this week I will have to see if I can file a couple of brass strips into the right shape and make a couple of hinges.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings...

Go do a Google on HL hinges. 

Wikipedia says keel was the first word written in English, not Latin

<rolls eyes><ducks><dives for the bunker>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sam

Some folks use black paper, others foil.  I'm not sure where you'd get black foil, though.  Worst case, heat the brass to red and then then hammer it thinner.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)